Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only thing I was on the fence about was the amp. Weather to go with a JL XD400/4 or the JL HD600/4, well I've made up my mind and will order the last piece (amp) tomorrow. Biggest thing holding me from the 600 was putting electronics in my bags, but, since ill have speaker lids anyway.....why not :D

Below is what I will be running....

Hertz HSK 165XLs in the fairing
Hawg Wired adaptors
Hertz HCX 690s in the lids
HogTunes speaker lids
JL HD600/4 amp

While at Street Vibrations I stopped by the J&M audio tent and listened to there top of the line 8 speaker setup. Honestly, less than impressed! Was muddy when cranked up and muffled........for a few $100 less and half as many speakers, I should beable to blow that outta the water :p

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey GB, speaking from experience, id go with the 600/4. I have the same amp running the same speakers and i couldnt be happier. By the way, I saw your bike at street vibes at reno harley saturday.

·
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey GB, speaking from experience, id go with the 600/4. I have the same amp running the same speakers and i couldnt be happier. By the way, I saw your bike at street vibes at reno harley saturday.
I actually heard 600/4 with 4 speaker setup this weekend up at street vices, sounded awesome :D that's what sold me on it :thumbup: will be an almost complete rewire this winter when the frame work is done SMH

LOL a lot of people said they saw it this weekend, I never did run into the guy that bought it :eek: some times I miss that bike, but, sometimes it's on to bigger and better things

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Just talked to Pete @ DA tonight. He's trying to sell me the Hertz HDP4 1000w 150 x 4 @ 4 ohms. He was telling me that the HDP4 draws less power and is smaller than the JL HD600/4. $100 cheaper to boot. Cant wait to see your progress

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The muddy sound is from the amplifier circuit in the HK head unit.

Having Iron Cross Audio install preamp outs will clean it right up

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Hawg Wired adaptors
HogTunes speaker lids
JL HD600/4 amp

Yes that thing should rock can't wait to here it.

Just talked to Pete @ DA tonight. He's trying to sell me the Hertz HDP4 1000w 150 x 4 @ 4 ohms. He was telling me that the HDP4 draws less power and is smaller than the JL HD600/4. $100 cheaper to boot. Cant wait to see your progress
Those Hertz amps are sweet Cisco has a video of one in the bags on a softail running 4 hertz hcx 690. Chit sounds really good!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ref, buy my Hawg Wired stuff, free shipping :D:D:D. You guts suck, wifeys catching on that all this stuff is more than 50 here 75 there. Had to buy time and get her some shiny sparkly stuff for our 20th.

GB_SIC_26 you getting the stuff from DA too?

·
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only thing I was on the fence about was the amp. Weather to go with a JL XD400/4 or the JL HD600/4, well I've made up my mind and will order the last piece (amp) tomorrow. Biggest thing holding me from the 600 was putting electronics in my bags, but, since ill have speaker lids anyway.....why not :D

Below is what I will be running....

Hawg Wired adaptors
HogTunes speaker lids
JL HD600/4 amp

While at Street Vibrations I stopped by the J&M audio tent and listened to there top of the line 8 speaker setup. Honestly, less than impressed! Was muddy when cranked up and muffled........for a few $100 less and half as many speakers, I should beable to blow that outta the water :p

Okay, now that all you yahoos have had your fun SMH :rolleyes: LOL

My final stereo setup I went with is the same as above except I swapped the HD600/4 for the XD400/4. I talked to several high end stereo dealers/installers (including Pete @ DA) and everyone of them said the same thing.....the 165XLs are a very efficient speaker and the extra wattage was not very noticeable nor needed and that the HD600/4 is hard on the bikes charging system unless you swapped out to a high out put stator, the added plus is the XD400/4 fits in the fairing above the radio. I "figured" more wattage = better, but like I said 5-6 guys that deal with high end bike audio all recommended the XD400. Being these guys are in the business of selling shit, I tend to trust them since they all said the same thing and all recommended a lower dollar item :eek:

So this is what should be here by the weeks end:

JL XD400/4 - best price was actually locally
Hertz HSK165XL - best prices was actually locally
HawgWired speaker adaptors - bought online
HogTunes 6x9 speaker lids - bought on FleaBay, link I listed in the another thread
Hertz HCX690 - best price was actually locally

All and all by the time I have everything wired up I will have about $1,550 into my stereo (amp kit, line out converter, etc, etc) and it should rock pretty well

·
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I remember telling you to get the 400/4 from the jump.. You system should almost as good as mine.. JK.. :cool:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
If mine is almost as good as yours I'll be happy, I'll be running less speakers and 200 less watts :rolleyes: LOL

·
Registered
612 Posts
Okay, now that all you yahoos have had your fun SMH :rolleyes: LOL

My final stereo setup I went with is the same as above except I swapped the HD600/4 for the XD400/4. I talked to several high end stereo dealers/installers (including Pete @ DA) and everyone of them said the same thing.....the 165XLs are a very efficient speaker and the extra wattage was not very noticeable nor needed and that the HD600/4 is hard on the bikes charging system unless you swapped out to a high out put stator, the added plus is the XD400/4 fits in the fairing above the radio. I "figured" more wattage = better, but like I said 5-6 guys that deal with high end bike audio all recommended the XD400. Being these guys are in the business of selling shit, I tend to trust them since they all said the same thing and all recommended a lower dollar item :eek:

So this is what should be here by the weeks end:

JL XD400/4 - best price was actually locally
Hertz HSK165XL - best prices was actually locally
HawgWired speaker adaptors - bought online
HogTunes 6x9 speaker lids - bought on FleaBay, link I listed in the another thread
Hertz HCX690 - best price was actually locally

All and all by the time I have everything wired up I will have about $1,550 into my stereo (amp kit, line out converter, etc, etc) and it should rock pretty well
So, what your saying is you cheaped out ;)

Is it really 1500? Is it that much better sounding than the Hawg Wired ( fairing only)? I would have went that rout in the beginning.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, what your saying is you cheaped out ;)

Is it really 1500? Is it that much better sounding than the Hawg Wired ( fairing only)? I would have went that rout in the beginning.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
It will blow that HawgWired setup outta the water :cool: ran a set of the XZs and polks in the fairing on my RG with 2 PBR 300x2. It was clear and loud but overall I wasn't super impressed......the Hertz HSK165XLs you can't really beat (at the price point) and I'm doing the lids and 6x9s for a little more passenger sound. I've heard the Hertz/JL setup in person and was honestly blown away considering it's a 4 speaker stereo :thumbup:

My price brake down

Amp -$325
6.5" - $500
6x9s - $300
Lids - $265
Adaptors - $45
Wiring and misc - about $100

Puts me in the $1525-1550 range for my complete setup.......as for how on got the pricing I did on the hertz stuff and the amp, it pays to know people :thumbup: no questions LOL

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I agree with 26..... I like the Hawgwired amps, but when it comes to speakers, spend a little extra for the Hertz. Also piecing the system together will give you better results IMO, you get to pick and choose the best parts, I can't think of any manufacturer who makes the best speaker, amp, head unit, etc. But if you want plug and play then go with an all in one system.

Sent from my SPH-L710

1 - 20 of 74 Posts