Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now ridden both the standard and the new CVO Road Glides. Here are my thoughts:

The RG Standard:
-styling, not the best, not the worst (compared to previous years). Overall it looks good.
-the Standard has way too much wind having no windshield and no lowers
-the new forks and triple tree are outstanding!
-brakes are great
-engine has better power than I expected for a stock bike
-infotainment system seemed harder to reach than the old fairing bike
-did not care for the seat as much
-actually liked the handle bars for my 5' 10" frame

The CVO:
-styling, I feel pretty much the same as the standard
-much, much better wind protection with a real windshield and leg lowers
-power, was about the same as my 2011
-ride quality about the same as my 2011 (forks and tree are better though)
-really nice leather seat, but not another $20K more comfortable than my 2011
-paint was nice, but it really lacked the CVO "bling" that I would have expected
-did not handle as well as my 2011 or the standard
-handle bar position is comfortable

I did like both bikes, and with some mods, could make them what I wanted. If I did not currently have the 2011, I would not hesitate to buy one. However, the changes do not cause me to "want" a new one. They are both wonderful bikes, just not better than what I have, and the CVO is definitely not $20-25K better than what I have.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Interesting observations.
I also have an '11 FLTRU and while I do like some of the new stuff, it's just not enough for me to make the move.
I have spent time and money getting my ride where I want it, and it only has 60k on it anyway.
I do have a riding bud that traded in his '11 FLTRUSE on a '14.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Interesting observations.
I also have an '11 FLTRU and while I do like some of the new stuff, it's just not enough for me to make the move.
I have spent time and money getting my ride where I want it, and it only has 60k on it anyway.
I do have a riding bud that traded in his '11 FLTRUSE on a '14.
You mean a '15, right?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Is there going to be a limited number of RGO CVOs this year like always with CVO's in years past? If I'm not mistaken they limit the numbers of each color to 1100 per model year but I've never seen such an influx of RGU CVOs at dealers as early as this year. At this rate they'll be sold out by the first of the year, unless they're gonna keep churning them out.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Is there going to be a limited number of RGO CVOs this year like always with CVO's in years past? If I'm not mistaken they limit the numbers of each color to 1100 per model year but I've never seen such an influx of RGU CVOs at dealers as early as this year. At this rate they'll be sold out by the first of the year, unless they're gonna keep churning them out.
CVOs have always been a limited production bike, no matter what the year or model. Here are approximate production numbers from 2011-2014 on three of the CVO models from each year. There were more than three models, this just gives an idea of production. Usually, the numbers are divided fairly equally across three paint color offerings for each model.

2011: EG Ultra CVO - 3,500; RG Ultra CVO - 2,100; SG CVO - 3,500

2012: EG Ultra CVO - 1,560; RG Custom CVO - 1,485; SG CVO - 2,356

2013: EG Ultra CVO - 3,900; RG Custom CVO - 3,150; RK CVO - 3,650

2014: EG Limited CVO - 4,550; RK CVO - 3,211; Breakout CVO - 3,663

The MOCO varies the numbers year to year, but will keep the numbers down to keep up the demand. There is still a lot of new 2014 CVO inventory out there if you look for it. Nothing in a Shark of course.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
I have now ridden both the standard and the new CVO Road Glides. Here are my thoughts:

The RG Standard:
-styling, not the best, not the worst (compared to previous years). Overall it looks good.
-the Standard has way too much wind having no windshield and no lowers
-the new forks and triple tree are outstanding!
-brakes are great
-engine has better power than I expected for a stock bike
-infotainment system seemed harder to reach than the old fairing bike
-did not care for the seat as much
-actually liked the handle bars for my 5' 10" frame

The CVO:
-styling, I feel pretty much the same as the standard
-much, much better wind protection with a real windshield and leg lowers
-power, was about the same as my 2011
-ride quality about the same as my 2011 (forks and tree are better though)
-really nice leather seat, but not another $20K more comfortable than my 2011
-paint was nice, but it really lacked the CVO "bling" that I would have expected
-did not handle as well as my 2011 or the standard
-handle bar position is comfortable

I did like both bikes, and with some mods, could make them what I wanted. If I did not currently have the 2011, I would not hesitate to buy one. However, the changes do not cause me to "want" a new one. They are both wonderful bikes, just not better than what I have, and the CVO is definitely not $20-25K better than what I have.
What type of shield are you running on your Ultra ? How do you compair the wind management on the 15 cvo VS. your Ultra.

I rode the Special with the Toenail shield and agree with your observation totally.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
In the CVO'S defense, even though more air was hitting me, the vents did help smooth it out.
I thought the same. Even though I was on a 15 with a toenail shield.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would happily consider the 15 if I didn't have my 11. They are nice rides. As I told my dealer, they just aren't better than the 2011.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I agree with the OP except, I was terribly disappointed in the look of the handlebars, just looks out of place on a RG. I didn't like the hand position either but that's just me.

I like the new bags, kinda, but on the RG they somehow clash with the style of the fairing, weird idea, but that's how I saw it. I think they somehow look thinner up against the fairing.

Now If they'd put the tach and speedo in the fairing and the infotainment system where the tach/speedo is/was, I might'd sold my '12 for a '15 and installed new bars.

But as it turned out, it just gave me an excuse to add cams, Öhlins and an audio upgrade to my '12. :D

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
color availability isn't the same for each color. For example in 2012 there was no consistency to colors for the CVO RGX

White Gold Pearl/Starfire Black w/Real Smoke Graphics: 1,238 (DOM 795)
Maple Metallic/Vivid Black w/Real Smoke Graphics: 799 (DOM 552)
Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue w/Real Smoke Graphics: 602 (DOM 416)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts