Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scorched Orange RG Limited
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my 2020 RGL for a year now. It’s got a paltry 6000 miles - wish it were more, but it’s a weekend machine only at this point. I’ve got an SE Stage 1 setup w/Street Cannon mufflers and the Smart Tune Pro.

My dilemma is that I really hate how the rear wide-band O2 sensor sits against the transmission cover. The mid-pipe bolt barely lines up and it’s just… shitty. My options are to replace the header w/aftermarket and try to get a manageable tune w/the SE street tuner or have a local weld O2 bungs in a different location on the stock header - certainly the most cost-effective solution.

Or…

Fuck it all and do what I really want. That is, add the FM 2-1-2 SS headpipe, keep my SE mufflers, which I really like, add in the Woods 22XE cam and… a power vision with an FM map that’s programmed to work with my SE Smart Tune Pro. This would cost me ~$1800 from FM with their full kit, Woods lifters, lifter cuffs and their bearing tool. Next week’s Black Friday sale will likely be 20-25% off that, so you I’m in the $13-1400 range, which is not bad at all.

But, this leaves me without a warranty going forward. Does it matter? I’ve had zero issues with My glide. I’m somewhat of a maintenance freak and don’t plan to sell the bike - I mean, it’s a 2020 RGL in roarange that is perfectly setup.

Ease my mind. Tell me I’m crazy… whatever. Let’s discuss.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm with the "Fuck it all..." approach. If you are maintaining it yourself and OCD about it you should have any issue. I'm not up to speed on the '20 MY issues (if any). Do some reading and check out if there are any so called issues for that year and if not and you have not seen anything with your bike; I say go lighten your wallet and spend some cash... you will definitely have a big smile on your face that is for sure. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
So the FM headers save yours if the thing dies before warranty is up put the factory back on. Use the cone in it and don't worry about tune. Or wait awhile you will get over the warranty thing then do with Your bike as you please.
Right now my 2020 RGL is having woods 22x,FM2-1-2 header installed I blew my warranty at 490 miles.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
if you only ride on the weekends and have low miles annually, I would go ahead and get the setup you want. I too have a 20 RGL but mine has 74k on it and I ride a lot so having a warranty is important to me. Good luck

·
Registered
2021 RGL 114
60 Posts
LIFE'S TO SHORT!!! Buy the good shit and ride the hell out of it!!! just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
If you do most of your riding local and don't venture out much past your Dealer area....I say go nuts and do what ya wnat

If you will ride 4 states over at the drop of a hat and enjoy touring, IMHO, the warranty is worth it for piece of mind in case the bike takes a shit and you find yourself in unfamiliar territory...then for me, its worth it to have one less thing to worry about and waiting out the (2) years to then go extended warranty where mods don't matter, win win...but thats just my paranoid, think worst case scenario and plan back from there so as to always be covered....way of thinking

I never thought like this until I got on RGs...toured....saw buddies bikes crap out (one was 3 months old with sub 2K miles on it) and them get shit for "warranty" stuff - Yes, you can fight it and take up that time and $$ but if you are in a group and have 3,4,5 whatever cats waiting for your shit to get fixed...well, you see where I am going

·
Registered
2020 RGS, FLTRXS that runs great out the gate.
2,108 Posts
I have been fortunate for myself and our group, no major issues.. couple rides dude had tires that were bald. Nothing a stop won't cure. This new bike has performed flawlessly so far and I have 20k plus...I don't worry about my ride. I enjoy it.

·
Registered
2020 Scorched Orange RG Limited
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All great points, thank you. I was talking with a local dealer here this morning and he gave me another option, which they do often as well. That is, buy a 2nd ECM, have it programmed to your bike and load the PV tune to that one. If ever a problem, swap it back. Seems like an ordeal and a lot of added expense of ~$750-800.

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Do what you want and know when you go to sleep at night, you are good with what you decide.

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
All great points, thank you. I was talking with a local dealer here this morning and he gave me another option, which they do often as well. That is, buy a 2nd ECM, have it programmed to your bike and load the PV tune to that one. If ever a problem, swap it back. Seems like an ordeal and a lot of added expense of ~$750-800.
Not trying to throw a bump in that suggestion, but. I asked, I believe it was thunder max about their ecm setup about 6 months ago and asked if going with that, can HD see the stock ecm was removed, an aftermarket ecm used, than the stock ecm put back, he stated yes.

Suggest, if you decide to go that way, check with the manufacturer to see if that is still the case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve had my 2020 RGL for a year now. It’s got a paltry 6000 miles - wish it were more, but it’s a weekend machine only at this point. I’ve got an SE Stage 1 setup w/Street Cannon mufflers and the Smart Tune Pro.

My dilemma is that I really hate how the rear wide-band O2 sensor sits against the transmission cover. The mid-pipe bolt barely lines up and it’s just… shitty. My options are to replace the header w/aftermarket and try to get a manageable tune w/the SE street tuner or have a local weld O2 bungs in a different location on the stock header - certainly the most cost-effective solution.

Or…

Fuck it all and do what I really want. That is, add the FM 2-1-2 SS headpipe, keep my SE mufflers, which I really like, add in the Woods 22XE cam and… a power vision with an FM map that’s programmed to work with my SE Smart Tune Pro. This would cost me ~$1800 from FM with their full kit, Woods lifters, lifter cuffs and their bearing tool. Next week’s Black Friday sale will likely be 20-25% off that, so you I’m in the $13-1400 range, which is not bad at all.

But, this leaves me without a warranty going forward. Does it matter? I’ve had zero issues with My glide. I’m somewhat of a maintenance freak and don’t plan to sell the bike - I mean, it’s a 2020 RGL in roarange that is perfectly setup.

You are doing all the items I want to do, I just picked up a 2021 so I have the 2 year warranty. My last 2 bikes I purchased an extended "aftermarket" warranty. The warranty is pretty good and cheaper than the HD one.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
if you only ride on the weekends and have low miles annually, I would go ahead and get the setup you want. I too have a 20 RGL but mine has 74k on it and I ride a lot so having a warranty is important to me. Good luck
Damn Q! that's a lot of riding. If I combined my mileage on my bikes and truck it would take me 4 or 5-years to reach that many miles.

• Haha
Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
If you bought an extended warranty I would do as Smitty suggested, build it like you want. If you can wrench on your ride you don't need no stinking warranty

• Love
Reactions: Oclaf

·
Premium Member
2020 FLTRXS
172 Posts
Here is luck: I have two scooters that I struggled with on this question. One I did a 131 kit for the two year warranty and did it H-D approved---SE tuner + Wideband, etc. The other I proudly donned my "I break warranties" shirt and went to town with H-D and non-H-D performance parts. I have had no issues with the unwarranted ride. Blown head gasket twice on the warrantied ride. Ride them both like I'm hate f%cking a crazy ex.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Warranty is a warranty. I put 20K on my 17 in the first 2 years I had it and the issues I had started after that period. Lemon law in Montana and WY are pretty similar and most manufacturer warranties only cover a bike for 24 months or 18-20K mi anyway. Recalls are covered no matter what. For no more than you ride it(I mean that respectfully), get the work done to your bike and forget the warranty. I recommend doing top end work i.e. the rocker arm studs and roller rocker arm assemblies if you're going to do a cam. Additionally don't forget the catch can after the cam work for your breathers, just a normal thing to do with Harleys after they've had cam work done!
Honestly at the end of the day, its truly what you want to do and whether you're really concerned with having to pay for repairs out of pocket. DO WHAT YOU WANT!! LOL

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Damn Q! that's a lot of riding. If I combined my mileage on my bikes and truck it would take me 4 or 5-years to reach that many miles.
LoL. I only rode 2k this year due to having shoulder surgery!🤦🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️😀

·
Registered
62 Posts

Or…

I have a '19 RGS and installed the 22XE cam and other Fuel Moto improvements 2 months before my warranty was up. Wish I'd done it sooner! That cam really wakes up the 114, you won't be sorry if you decide to do it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts