Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
All great points, thank you. I was talking with a local dealer here this morning and he gave me another option, which they do often as well. That is, buy a 2nd ECM, have it programmed to your bike and load the PV tune to that one. If ever a problem, swap it back. Seems like an ordeal and a lot of added expense of ~$750-800.
if i knew a dealer that would do this for me i would put the fuckit on this project and go for it!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
My bike 2020 RGL with just under12K when it was opened up. It was clear two of the 4 lifters were bad. Highest points on cam lobes had signs of wear. HD calls it frosting, says it is harmless. Ok it is a CAM not a cake.
Bike serviced as required High grade Oil. not beat hard. Always had a noise coming from cam chest area. HD that is normal, Some chatter in top end. HD that is normal.
Like magic new aftermarket cam, S&S lifters noise gone. This one don't do that. Explain it HD.

·
Registered
2020 Road Glde Special
46 Posts
The SE full flow exhaust will relocate the rear 02 sensor. I was suffering from the same delimea. I swapped out the complete exhaust and presto, no more problem. I'm also running the SE auto tunner. The motorcycle runs and sounds great.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not being a [email protected],

Did you buy it to Ride or Buy it for a Warranty?

I have people ship me Motorcycles from all over the U.S. to do $10's of $1,000's of work. I just finished a 21 FLHTCU that had 54 miles from a 1,000 miles away. He spent $9,000 + S/H.

I sold him a 7 Year Warranty (Autrella Motorcycle ESP Performance Plus Plan) for what the MoCo charges for their ESP AND it covers everything! Tune it, Build it, Exhaust, whatever. I just have to submit my Build Sheet in when he signs the contract and it's a done deal. And guess what, 99% of the Parts are Aftermarket - Why, Because HD and Stock Sucks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve had my 2020 RGL for a year now. It’s got a paltry 6000 miles - wish it were more, but it’s a weekend machine only at this point. I’ve got an SE Stage 1 setup w/Street Cannon mufflers and the Smart Tune Pro.

My dilemma is that I really hate how the rear wide-band O2 sensor sits against the transmission cover. The mid-pipe bolt barely lines up and it’s just… shitty. My options are to replace the header w/aftermarket and try to get a manageable tune w/the SE street tuner or have a local weld O2 bungs in a different location on the stock header - certainly the most cost-effective solution.

Or…

Fuck it all and do what I really want. That is, add the FM 2-1-2 SS headpipe, keep my SE mufflers, which I really like, add in the Woods 22XE cam and… a power vision with an FM map that’s programmed to work with my SE Smart Tune Pro. This would cost me ~$1800 from FM with their full kit, Woods lifters, lifter cuffs and their bearing tool. Next week’s Black Friday sale will likely be 20-25% off that, so you I’m in the $13-1400 range, which is not bad at all.

But, this leaves me without a warranty going forward. Does it matter? I’ve had zero issues with My glide. I’m somewhat of a maintenance freak and don’t plan to sell the bike - I mean, it’s a 2020 RGL in roarange that is perfectly setup.

Ease my mind. Tell me I’m crazy… whatever. Let’s discuss.
10% off sale. Started today. Put my order in for 2-1-2 head pipe, Outlaw mufflers with billet tips, 22X-E cam kit, PV tuner, FM air cleaner and inner cam bearing tool for my 2020 Road Glide Special that I just bought with believe it or not........115 miles in Zephyr Blue w/RDRS. I drove 2200 miles round trip to pick up the exact bike I was hoping for. I've dealt with Fuel Moto on three different bikes. I was a little skeptical about blowing my warranty, but Bob at FM makes sense when he said you are doing the engine a favor by getting rid of restrictive exhaust and intake, adding a non-epa cam and doing a proper tune. I feel if I wait for two years that chances of engine damage from a hotter than necessary engine are greater than if I correct the epa induced issues while the engine is new. I do my own work so if I do have engine problems in the next two years, I will buy whatever is needed and repair as needed with Fuel Moto's help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had my 2020 RGL for a year now. It’s got a paltry 6000 miles - wish it were more, but it’s a weekend machine only at this point. I’ve got an SE Stage 1 setup w/Street Cannon mufflers and the Smart Tune Pro.

My dilemma is that I really hate how the rear wide-band O2 sensor sits against the transmission cover. The mid-pipe bolt barely lines up and it’s just… shitty. My options are to replace the header w/aftermarket and try to get a manageable tune w/the SE street tuner or have a local weld O2 bungs in a different location on the stock header - certainly the most cost-effective solution.

Or…

Fuck it all and do what I really want. That is, add the FM 2-1-2 SS headpipe, keep my SE mufflers, which I really like, add in the Woods 22XE cam and… a power vision with an FM map that’s programmed to work with my SE Smart Tune Pro. This would cost me ~$1800 from FM with their full kit, Woods lifters, lifter cuffs and their bearing tool. Next week’s Black Friday sale will likely be 20-25% off that, so you I’m in the $13-1400 range, which is not bad at all.

But, this leaves me without a warranty going forward. Does it matter? I’ve had zero issues with My glide. I’m somewhat of a maintenance freak and don’t plan to sell the bike - I mean, it’s a 2020 RGL in roarange that is perfectly setup.

Ease my mind. Tell me I’m crazy… whatever. Let’s discuss.
I've been up against the same dilemma, on my 16 CVO RG 110SE. But, I had 2 or 3 issues with mine, in the first 30-60 days of ownership. My local HD shop (where I bought the bike), has had my instrument cluster on back order, since August. They have no idea if or when it's coming. That's under warranty. Those instrument clusters aren't sealed properly against moisture, because they're made in China. Also the reason why they can't get the part. It's probably sitting anchored off the California coastline. Get caught in a light to moderate shower, and you'll likely fry it completely. At the very least, you'll end up with permanent water spots inside it. For reasons like this, I've been very hesitant to drop my warranty. I've already added an awesome aftermarket breather to mine, which increases the airflow substantially, over the SE breather, that was on the bike. Mine already had Vance & Hines slip ons installed, when I bought it. I have a brand new V&H power duals head pipe here, waiting for me to install it. That will eliminate that incredibly stupid factory catalytic converter, & drastically reduce felt heat, in warmer months. It will also reduce the oil & chrome getting cooked, since that CC is right up against the right side of the engine. My quandry is that the "Best & most Proper tune" would black flag my warranty, & void it entirely. In order to get optimum air/fuel ratio, & get maximum pop from this 110SE, the HD tuning just isn't adequate. Theirs is all 50 state/C.A.R.B. compliant. What A Total Racket!! If I ever get this instrument cluster replaced under warranty, I'm gonna' drop the warranty, & take my RG to T-Man performance, which is 30-40 minutes from my house. It's a second generation, family owned & operated, HD performance business. They can really squeeze the juice from a Harley. But I can't let them touch it, without black flagging the bike. Screw HD dealerships, and their overly restrictive warranties!! SUCH BS!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
If there's gonna be a problem out of the box it likely would have shown itself after a year and 6K miles. Ever heard of the 'bathtub curve' associated with mechanical failures? Not motorcycle specific - plots failures over time for any machine. Failures are generally more likely in the early period of operation and the later period of operation. The curve flattens out in the middle which is where you are now.

Your 2020 should have the upgraded oil pump (sumping) and the primary vent (oil transfer issue) that solved some of the early M8 problems. If all is good so far I would say the risk is minimal that something bad will happen over the next year and 6K miles.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Those instrument clusters aren't sealed properly against moisture, because they're made in China. Also the reason why they can't get the part. It's probably sitting anchored off the California coastline. Get caught in a light to moderate shower, and you'll likely fry it completely. At the very least, you'll end up with permanent water spots inside it. For reasons like this, I've been very hesitant to drop my warranty.

I've already added an awesome aftermarket breather to mine, which increases the airflow substantially, over the SE breather, that was on the bike.

Screw HD dealerships, and their overly restrictive warranties!! SUCH BS!!
if you tune the bike with an aftermarket tuner, it will only void the powertrain warranty. your warranty would still be in effect for your gauges.

the stock breather is more than capable of flowing more air than the engine needs. you may have installed an 'awesome breather', but it was for looks, not performance (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. people do it all the time).

the warranty really isn't 'overly restrictive'. they've just finally caught up with the rest of the automotive industry in making the end user responsible for his actions. you want the moco to warranty your bike? then you're pretty much going to have to stick with moco parts.

·
Registered
2021 RGS (Black and Chrome)
235 Posts
Not being a [email protected],

Did you buy it to Ride or Buy it for a Warranty?

I have people ship me Motorcycles from all over the U.S. to do $10's of $1,000's of work. I just finished a 21 FLHTCU that had 54 miles from a 1,000 miles away. He spent $9,000 + S/H.

I sold him a 7 Year Warranty (Autrella Motorcycle ESP Performance Plus Plan) for what the MoCo charges for their ESP AND it covers everything! Tune it, Build it, Exhaust, whatever. I just have to submit my Build Sheet in when he signs the contract and it's a done deal. And guess what, 99% of the Parts are Aftermarket - Why, Because HD and Stock Sucks
Not doing a good job not being a [email protected]!

Warranty is VERY important for lots of people (I included) and perhaps one of the reasons people like to buy new. If you can afford not having one and spending thousands in mods that is good for you, but certainty you and the ones spending 1000s on a new bike don’t represent the majority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Scorched Orange RG Limited
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Great conversation here guys. I’ve read, and re-read all of the comments a couple of times. After really paying attention to how I ride the bike, where, or if, I think it’s lacking in power and the fact that my Wife is on the back 75%+ of the time, these things are most important:

1: reliability, meaning not breaking down on the road with Carin.
2: bottom end torque, we’re lightweights at 165 and 125 but could still use some more low end torque
3: and, yes, warranty. This bike isn’t paid off, which means at some point I might sell it or trade it or whatever. So, keeping it stock or close to stock with SE components furthers that cause.

Therefore, I’ll upgrade to a SE stage 2 torque cam, let the dealer do the work and keep this bike ready for our 2up adventures and under warranty.

Now the fun part… shopping for a LRS or a RKS that I can hot rod for HP and fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
625 Posts
Not that it should really matter what I think, but I like your decision. There have been many times I've asked myself if I would feel justified, 1) ditching my warranty while still in effect and, 2) spending thousands for something my butt doesn't think is really missing .....or at least needed. I may do it some day, but I don't feel the need or pressure to do it before my warranty is gone. I'm not averse to customizing as is obvious, but I'm careful to be sure it's something I truly value and won't regret doing. I've honestly never been the 'just f-it and go for it' guy.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Glad I have the extended warranty - Sumping, led to overheating and subsequent damage - also front rotors were warped - bottom line, I paid $50.00 for $3500.00 worth of work inc parts. I see warranties like health insurance - better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it (anyone else familiar with that saying....)

41 - 52 of 52 Posts