Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
forty years ago :eek: I hadda eat three pounds of bananas and get back on the scales to be a half pound above the minimum required to enter the Navy ..

By the end of boot camp I went from 145 to 160 .. I stayed there for mebbe eight years or so ..

All I know is in 1981 when I left shore duty I still had a 32" waist , between 81-86 I shot to 206 , and fought that for years ..

I have to get a physical every two years for my job , and in 2010 I had shot up to 254 , the doctor hadda cow and I did too .. he put me on a heart patients diet ( honor system , wasn't watching over me ) and I lost 25 pounds in about six weeks , but then started cheating a bit here and there , and have hung around 225-230 ever since ..

I am comfortable here at 6'0" or so , but I got a let it go away for me , and no body else .

What got me back on it , is I check my weight three or four times a week , and a couple weeks ago I was up to 237 ..

So I started back again on weight loss , in two weeks I am down to 227 ( last night ) ..

I can do it and you can too , set your mind to it and it can be done

anyways , my goal is :

50 in 50

50 pounds 50 weeks , next physical is late May/early June 2014

that's a total of one pound per week or get this , a smidge over two ounces a day

JtB

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good luck my friend. I'll subscribe and see if we can go pound for pound. I'm 6'1" and 240lbs....all in the spare tire area! Diet only don't work for me and I hate exercise. Last summer started cycling (bicycle) with my son and got down to 214 and felt pretty good (he kicks my ass!).

Cycling really interfered with my biking!! Nice evening out after work, do I fire up the Harley or clip on the pedals. First bicycle ride was tonight just before I read this post. I figure if I have to exercise it might as well be two wheels!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I was eating healthy and working out pretty hard and not having much luck. I got myfitnesspal on my phone and it really helped me watch my calories. I switched to more circuit training and a modifoed crossfit kind of program. I had the same goal as you. Except I'm only 5'9cI went from 235 to 185 at a lb per week. Stayed steady for about 3 months now. Its kind of nice to have a six pack at 49 again. It sure hasn't hurt things with the wife either!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I give you guys a lot of credit. I am 6'1" and my perfect body weight is 250 at 8% body fat. Now I am 315. Still alot of muscle but I got this beer belly that's killing me. I only drink once a week but I have recognized that I am a stress eater and when I get really pissed off I am headed for bad food decisions. Turning 42 in august and need to cut some weight. I used to watch my diet with fighting and just looking good at the beach for so long that now I am burnt out. I just can't seem to get a handle on this food thing. I am ready to do a cycle of Winstrol LOL I know that will peal the weight off. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can do it , its all in your mind , you just have to decide you are going to do it and go through with it ..

10 years ago I lost twenty pounds in six weeks , just changing my eating habits .. But I was bad about cheating after I lost a certain amount of weight ..

I used to love sweet tea and coffee with some ( not much ) sugar or fake sugar in it .. I finally figured out in the last three years that the sweet tea craving was for the sugar and same for the coffee .. I used to drink coffee all day long , but now it's one or two cups of black . And I don't drink sweet tea anymore ..

Almost all of my fluid intake is water or an energy drink like Gatorade ..

I was bad about fixing a plate of food , then going back for "just a little" more .. Over a week or two that "just a little more" is probably another weeks worth of food ..

Good Luck

JtB

·
Registered
628 Posts
Good luck guys. I'm stepping up to do the same. Tired of aching backs and feeling sluggish.6' 270 right now. Big shoulders to carry it but I need to drop 30 at least.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts

Almost all of my fluid intake is water or an energy drink like Gatorade ..

Just keep in mind that Gatorade has a lot of sugar in it as well. It is fine if you are burning a lot as it was designed as a replenishment. I usually cut it 50/50 with water for when I am going on my longer runs. I try not to drink it unless I have been working out and sweating a lot. Staying with plain water has been my best change. Still working towards cutting the coffee thing back though. Triple shot espresso with 2 sugars(used to be 3) every morning. :eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, just back from my first single track mountain bike ride with my son's group. Hour and 45 min, lost 5lbs (cause I puked 3 times!) This is gonna be tuff!:eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah Ken I no about the sugars in Gatorade and the like , I usually do it when I'm getting hydration in the heat and sweating like a pig

cutting it with water is a thought too

Thanks

JtB

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,949 Posts
I'll never have a "six pack" again, fact is I don't think I ever had one! But I am making conscious decisions about trying to eat a bit better and a bit less. Slow but steady, off comes the weight. I know all of you can do it too, you just have to find the right motivation and make the right decision on which method will work for you. I haven't given up anything, just trying to eat less of the bad stuff (Ben and Jerry's) and more of the good stuff - when I get Jonesin' for a pint of B&Js I spoon out a half pint of frozen yogurt. And once in a while I even splurge on some B&Js, but only as a special treat, not as a three times a week habit.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I been doing paperwork the last three hours getting ready for the week. I am so hungry right now I can eat some bodies face! I just ate at 6:30 and I am going nuts. I know I can have a little snack but I know once I start eating something I won't stop! I want to think it just a mental thing but my stomach is growling! Wtf

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
Keep it up, sounds like you've got it figured out. Apx. 2 1/2 years ago I was 312# & went down to 260# but didn't keep it up. 7 months ago I was 299# & now I'm 224. I'm very serious about my diet today & the rest of my life. My doctor told me I added 10yrs to my life. I heard this some place, wink, wink! "It works if you work it"

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm here to offer an alternative diet plan for the folks that are SERIOUS about losing weight for health reasons. This is a very strict plan and not for the folks with lack of willpower. I've done this diet before and and currently doing it right now. I will tell you now, no one wants to bet with with me losing pound for pound unless on your also on it :)

The diet was invented by Dr. Simeons in the 1960's and it involves a very low calorie diet with a supplement. Dr. Simeons discovered a hormone called HCG that released the nasty spare tire fat into the body as an energy reserve. You can go online and read about this HCG Diet as well as d/l a pdf copy of his book "Pounds and Inches".

His diet is 500 calories a day while taking HCG via drops or pellets (Health Store) or shots from a doctor. The first time I did the diet I was as 245, after my 1st session I was down to 225. My 1st session lasted 23 days, thats 20 lbs in 23 days. I was actually down as low as 219 but the plan is designed to maintain your finish weight within 2 lbs.

If your a male you will lose close to 1lb a day if you follow it, females tend to lose less then us males. I did that session in July/August of 2011. I started again on June 1, 2013 at 238, I went back to old habits but was still able to keep off 7lbs. My current goal is to be down under 220 for SW III.

This diet requires you to change your lifestyle. You need to be committed to lose the weight and to keep it off. This time around I will do a session before SWIII (hard to get the food on the road). Then another after I get home, my goal is to get under 200 by the end of the year.

Starting weight June 1- 238lbs, today's weight 229lbs. I'll subscribe to this thread so I can answer questions if folks have any on HCG.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I have been in on Fast Metabolism Diet now for 5 weeks. Lost 19 lbs. Pretty easy diet.
Started at 243. Goal 210 by SW3.
Toughest part...no coffee..a metabolism killer per nutritionist.
And I feel great.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I was also one of the lucky ones who has lived most of his life never having to think about what I shoved into my mouth...each decade I went up 10 pounds and then last year I put on almost 30 pounds in what seemed like over night.

For the first time in my life (soon to be 58 years old) I had to go on an eating program so 11 weeks ago I decided I needed/wanted to make a change..cut out the Mountain Dew's and started on the low carb program...down 22 pounds and feeling a whole lot better about myself.

although it cuts out so many foods I enjoy I find it easy to do both at home and dinning out and you never feel hungry. I realize when I meet my goal weight I will have to remain committed to staying within the range I have established for myself but I feel I am ready to do this now

·
Registered
99 Posts
I been doing paperwork the last three hours getting ready for the week. I am so hungry right now I can eat some bodies face! I just ate at 6:30 and I am going nuts. I know I can have a little snack but I know once I start eating something I won't stop! I want to think it just a mental thing but my stomach is growling! Wtf

Everybody metabolizes different but one way to kick start it is eat more, every physical person out there who trains knows that eating more often in smaller portions is better for you. With that being said just start eating 5 times a day at like 400 calories per meal. After the first week you will already feel different and find yourself not as hungry, as you lose weight your stress level will decrease and you can throw in a workout to relieve even more. When you find yourself getting stressed out just go do some pushups or something you'll be surprised at how fast your stress goes away and your eating habits will change drastically. Once you overcome the mental hump its gravy from there. I got burned out physical activity after the army and ballooned like crazy, busted hump for the first month and pissed and moaned the whole way and now I don't even have to try to make better food choices its just kind of routine. Nothing is unattainable we only set limits on ourselves.

·
Super Moderator
9,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my wife's uncle who passed away twenty years ago , was close to 90 , ate like that his entire life .. He would eat literally a couple spoonful's of food six to eight times a day , was never hungry or very large ..

I don't know that I have it figured out , but I know three or four time in my life I have lost huge amounts of weight in a very short period , by making very small changes

JtB

1 - 20 of 27 Posts