Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the threads on here, showing Bike Barn builds, are amazing!!!!
I don't have a Bike Barn build to show, what I do have, is the downstairs space, that I converted into a work Zone/man cave.
I took half of my downstairs, and added a garage door on each end, I also built a bench at each end of the garage, the ability to not have to back your bike up, I really like that idea and worked out really well. Whichever Direction your bike is facing, you just open up the garage door that's in front of you, I was lucky I have a friend of mine who does garage doors for a living, so it came with all kinds of goodies, 3 inch thick insulated doors, really nice garage door openers, one for each vehicle, and one for my motorcycle, in the garage door opener for the motorcycle fits on my key ring in the smaller than my key fob can open both doors!!!!
This came about because of how close I live to the beach, I have tried everything but yet all the Chrome Corodes, even the fenders and frame rust, plastic dry rots, the Saltair is extremely brutal. So I tried the bubble that did not work. I tried putting a dehumidifier inside the bubble and that did not work. So in my Infinite Wisdom, I decided to climate control my garage so to speak, I added carpet to cover up the concrete floors, added a fridge in a microwave just for comfort. Added the TV set so I could watch football in NASCAR, once I started keeping the garage at a certain temperature, depending on what time of year it is, for the air conditioner does a really good job of removing the humidity inside the garage....
To help fight rust and corrosion, the bike does get wiped down twice a week.
Here are a few pics of my humble garage,
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Mode of transport Asphalt

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For some reason it says my files are too big to post the pictures that I want to post

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well you heard of a shotgun house?,
this is my shotgun garage......🤣🤣🤣
If you look at my toolboxs closely, you will notice that each drawer has a blue piece of painters tape on it, in written on the blue take with a black Sharpie, is what is inside the drawer, that away when friends come over and they're helping me either work on their bike or my bike whatever, they know where my tools are, where they belong!!!!!
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very cool setup.
Thanks.....
It took a while, but I do enjoy it.
I do most all of my own mechanic work on all of my toys, Chevy Avalanche with a hopped up 5.3, 77 Chevy square body with short wheelbase, hopped up 350, Club Car with 675cc V-Twin, full coil over front end, 18" lift with 25" tires, not your average Club Car, 2010 FLTRX hopped up 103,( and yes it came with the 96, but me being me can never leave well enough alone)
2002 FXD straight up stock, I only did a couple of mods to it because of the low mileage less than a thousand miles on the bike, change the lights out to LED and put floorboards on it. 20' deck boat with a Johnson 150, nothing special about it,
My theory is, I'm always working on something, so the work space needs to be adequate for whatever I am working on.
In 2008 Hurricane Ike, took everything i owned everything, even my house.
It has taken me a long time to replace all the stuff i lost, ( and yes those are all material things) and hurricane Nicholas was a reminder, that things can be taken away, with a blink of the storm.
But dammmmm i do love my toys!!!!!
And workin on them......
Hell....... even my lawn mower and weed eater are hopped up,

Shaking head sideways, looking down at the ground,
I just can't help myself........

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
2,565 Posts
I bought a labelling machine and all my tool boxes are labelled as well. As well as all my bins that hold small parts, nails, bolts, etc.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How close are you to the ocean? To get that much corrosion
Less than 300 yards,
from my front porch, you can see the Gulf of Mexico, from my back porch, you can see Galveston Bay,
I live on an Island just off the cost of Texas...... and just for the record, as a young man I lived up and down the Atlantic coast, starting from Virginia Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Jacksonville Beach, Daytona Beach, and Cocoa Beach.( the timeline of these cities mentioned are not in order) the point I am trying to make, is not one of those cities listed on the Atlantic coast, even compares to the Salt Air and corrosion that we get here in Galveston Texas!!!
Sea fog, salt water rain, and very high humidity, take its toll on everything, and I mean everything, houses take a shot from mold and rot, your vehicle such as your truck take a shot, radiators, suspension parts, even your chrome wheels. You can't have an "easy go" golf cart on the island the frames rust in 2, club car is the only golf cart that can survive on the island, because it has an aluminum frame and a lot of aluminum parts. Suspensions leaf springs and stuff like that still rust out on the club cars on a regular basis. As far as my motorcycle goes, as good of care as I try to take care of it, and I do try my very best, I have had my exhaust stud bolts, rust in half, forcing me to pull the head so I could drill out and put in new exhaust stud bolts back in, I have had to paint Bolts to slow down the rust, such as primary, transmission, head bolts, I've even had to paint my floor boards and supports underneath because of corrosion and rust. You try to address things as you see them, but there are some things you that are inevitable, like my front fender, it's time for a new Fender because of the rust on it, I could never show my bike, as pretty as I think it is. I have to sand down my lower Forks, twice a year and paint them gloss black,. even my Dyna Glide lower Forks have to be painted black twice a year, I have stainless steel Goodridge front brake lines, that are less than 6 months old, and are showing corrosion already, I use mothers aluminum and chrome polish for everything shiny, it took a steel wool to get the corrosion off my new brake lines I try not to use the steel wool very often for I do not want to take off the chrome finish but it is necessary to combat, and if I can't save the Chrome , I take it off sand it down and paint it red or gloss black, the places that you see painted red on my bike, wasn't for the cool Factor , it was done out of necessity to fight corrosion and rust. Lots of red on my bike. I could go on and on and on, hell even the deck on my Lawn Boy, is all rusted up and corroded, runs
great, but the deck itself has holes in it from corrosion. Nothing is safe from the Saltair here nothing. The Part of the island that I live on,( which is the very West End of the island) has cattle,
coyotes, rattlesnakes!!!
The rust and corrosion, the hurricanes and storms, are my bread and butter, I build beach houses for a living and I also do remodeling, and there is no shortage of work!!!!! A small price to pay, to live a humble life, on the beach. Not very many people can say, they get paid to work on the beach. It is my lifestyle, and it is my family's choice, the money that I have made, for more than 20 years now, outweighs all the negatives.
I am not getting rich by no means, but I am allowed to live a lifestyle that I have become accustomed to for more than 20 years, they have a saying here in Galveston, through your watch away, because you are on island time. Which means Galveston is very laid back, until the Lone Star rally Comes To Town, then it's wide open!!!
But because of the salt air here, is the reason I climatized my downstairs, ac/ dehumidifier, even heat in the winter time, I keep my garage at 78 degrees, year-round.
This has been the best way to combat rust and corrosion, and you're constantly wiping your bike down, constantly!!!!
I am hoping this gives you a better insight, on just how bad the Salt Air is here.......
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

All the red you see on the bike, was painted to fight rust and corrosion, also when you see gloss black , such as the forks, frame, and underneath side of floorboards and mounting hardware, I have used flat black on the voltage regulator, heat shields and mufflers, in places that normally would be Chrome, even my Reinhart end caps, are peeling. I have tried to be creative over the years, and taking abnormally great care, just to preserve the bike!!!!
I promise my wife this was the last bike i would own, so I am trying my very best to preserve it.....
👍👍👍

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a labelling machine and all my tool boxes are labelled as well. As well as all my bins that hold small parts, nails, bolts, etc.
Great minds think alike, brilliant!!!!
I use the blue painter's tape, because that's what I had laying around.....🤣🤣🤣

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Waaay too much organization. Part of the fun of working in the garage is looking everywhere for the tool you need.
:)
If I cant find it I haves me an excuse to buy another one.

View attachment 431784

View attachment 431785
That wooden table in the center is totally bitchin, me being a carpenter, I have to give kudos to that table. Also your garage is not disorganized, I don't see clutter,
Thanks for showing me a couple of pictures of your garage, I like it alot......

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not even going to comment on what I think broken wind stands for, SBD🤣🤣🤣
I can't tell you how many times I went out and bought a tool, simply cuz I couldn't find it, only to find it down the road at a different time, most of my sons tools came from me, go figure.... it was my wife's idea, to organize my bench and tools, for she is the one who puts them away while I am at work. When I work on things, I am like a tornado, I leave will leave tools scattered all about, and my loving wife being a wife that she is, comes in behind me, picks up the tools that I have scattered and left behind and puts them back in their proper place, just so I can do it all over again the next time I work on something.......😯😯😯

·
Registered
90 Posts
That wooden table in the center is totally bitchin, me being a carpenter, I have to give kudos to that table. Also your garage is not disorganized, I don't see clutter,
Thanks for showing me a couple of pictures of your garage, I like it alot......
Thanks!
I built that over a weekend. Hard to see from the pics but its a combo table saw, planer & router table plus storage. On rollers and weighs a ton. Each tool even has its own ducting for hookup to a shop vac.
:cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not even going to comment on what I think broken wind stands for, SBD🤣🤣🤣
I can't tell you how many times I went out and bought a tool, simply cuz I couldn't find it, only to find it down the road at a different time, most of my sons tools came from me, go figure.... it was my wife's idea, to organize my bench and tools, for she is the one who puts them away while I am at work. When I work on things, I am like a tornado, I leave will leave tools scattered all about, and my loving wife being a wife that she is, comes in behind me, picks up the tools that I have scattered and left behind and puts them back in their proper place, just so I can do it all over again the next time I work on something.......😯😯😯
Ha!
Actually I’m as OCD as anyone. Did 10 years in the Air Force as a Jet Mech so I come by it honestly. They brainwashed us to be methodical about tool/parts accountability. A loose nut could down a jet & kill a pilot. My wife doesn’t go near the Cave so if anything’s missing its on me :)

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks!
I built that over a weekend. Hard to see from the pics but its a combo table saw, planer & router table plus storage. On rollers and weighs a ton. Each tool even has its own ducting for hookup to a shop vac.
:cool:
Shaking head sideways, you sound like a cabinet maker I once knew, he custom-made a table, that was not movable, but had ducting just like what you are describing, his table was just too heavy to move around, with the way he had it set up made working in his shop easy, he built his cabinets in a shop, then took them to the House were they would installed......

·
Registered
90 Posts
Shaking head sideways, you sound like a cabinet maker I once knew, he custom-made a table, that was not movable, but had ducting just like what you are describing, his table was just too heavy to move around, with the way he had it set up made working in his shop easy, he built his cabinets in a shop, then took them to the House were they would installed......
Yah, well....I wish I could say I produced stuff as useable as cabinets but....boxes are boring. Instead I make stuff like this guy:

Camouflage Military camouflage Squad Ballistic vest Window

Camouflage Squad Ballistic vest Military camouflage Helmet

Yes, that is a full size, six foot tall mannequin dressed as a mashup of Boba Fett & a U.S. SpecOps Soldier. The "guns" on the wall in the background are also my creation. I make movie prop replicas in my spare time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts