Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had a chance to ride my bike for the first time since returning from Leesburg. When I backed the bike out of the garage, there was a puddle of oil on the floor. First thing I did was check my oil level, it's within range. I then started the bike, normal pressure, then did a quick 15 mile ride, parked the bike, no leak after an hour. I'm going to ride some more then let the bike sit again. Has anyone experienced anything like this or have a clue?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I looked under the bike and it's a little dirty and greasy, but nothing freshly wet or anything. I'm probably going to clean and degrease the underside of the bike and keep checking.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
No, I looked under the bike and it's a little dirty and greasy, but nothing freshly wet or anything. I'm probably going to clean and degrease the underside of the bike and keep checking.
Best of luck, it can be frustrating. I always start by checking drain bolts and orings, especially if there has been a recent service done.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
dbell, similar thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago shortly after I got my bike back from getting the 107. I saw a small puddle of oil, at first I thought maybe it was from my chopper because I move the bikes around and that bike sometimes leaves a mark. Then it happened again and I knew now it was the RG, I degreased it under and and all around filter area after that it didn't drip anymore. it was just residue from sloppy oil change done at the shop

·
Super Moderator
12,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I cleaned the bike up, let it get hot, shut it off and waited. Almost like waiting for water to boil, and very slowly, sure enough the drain plug is the culprit. I'm over 2k miles into this oil change and had planned on changing right before SW5 anyway. I must admit this is the first time I've had a drain plug o ring fail. Interesting that it would happen midway through an oil change. I've looked and you can see no oil anywhere else and just a drop at a time on the plug, I've probably leaked about 1/2 ounce in the last hour.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Do you remember what vacinity of the engine the puddle was at ?

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Well, I cleaned the bike up, let it get hot, shut it off and waited. Almost like waiting for water to boil, and very slowly, sure enough the drain plug is the culprit. I'm over 2k miles into this oil change and had planned on changing right before SW5 anyway. I must admit this is the first time I've had a drain plug o ring fail. Interesting that it would happen midway through an oil change. I've looked and you can see no oil anywhere else and just a drop at a time on the plug, I've probably leaked about 1/2 ounce in the last hour.
That's an easy fix. Remember not to over tighten the plug.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Been in the (not needed) habit on my own bikes to stretch an inch and 1/2 of 1/4 Teflon tape against the threads on the oil and tranny plug plus the O-rings.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Are you sure it's the engine oil drain plug? I ask because I had a similar situation where I thought the primary drain plug or the outer primary gasket was leaking but it turned out to be the main shaft seal that was running down to the drain plug area. It was hard to find my leak because it was way up behind the primary and I couldn't get a good direct look at it

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Ralf got a good point check everything you can. I never had a problem with the o-rings on any of the drain plugs go bad a start leaking.
Also it would be a good thing to check the oil lines on the oil cooler, they have a tendency to crack right where the hose clamps are and they will start leaking, usually the heat and vibration along with time will harden the oil lines so it is good to replace them every couple of years as preventive maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
12,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure it's the engine oil drain plug? I ask because I had a similar situation where I thought the primary drain plug or the outer primary gasket was leaking but it turned out to be the main shaft seal that was running down to the drain plug area. It was hard to find my leak because it was way up behind the primary and I couldn't get a good direct look at it
I thought about this overnight, so this morning I decided to check again. I got the bike nice and warm then parked it. I put a bowl right under the oil plug, 5 hours later I checked again, the only oil I see is in the bowl and appears to be coming directly from the plug.

Ralf got a good point check everything you can. I never had a problem with the o-rings on any of the drain plugs go bad a start leaking.
Also it would be a good thing to check the oil lines on the oil cooler, they have a tendency to crack right where the hose clamps are and they will start leaking, usually the heat and vibration along with time will harden the oil lines so it is good to replace them every couple of years as preventive maintenance.
I thought about this also, I have an Ultra Cool and the lines run in front of the engine, I don't see any signs of a leak at all. I will change the oil and still check, I've not had any problems before, and I hope it's really simple.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I agree with rlaf on this. You may want to use a mirror and flashlight to look above and behind the Primary. I sure hope it's just your plug but it could be seeping down the casing and dripping from the plug. This was the case with Karen's bike. Good luck and I hope it's an easy fix for you David.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Today I had a chance to ride my bike for the first time since returning from Leesburg. When I backed the bike out of the garage, there was a puddle of oil on the floor. First thing I did was check my oil level, it's within range. I then started the bike, normal pressure, then did a quick 15 mile ride, parked the bike, no leak after an hour. I'm going to ride some more then let the bike sit again. Has anyone experienced anything like this or have a clue?
I'm not trying to push any buttons, but do you have a practical joking relative?
My a__ hole brother-in-law once poured a little oil under my wife and my bike. Didn't fall for it, but it stays in the back of my mind

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I had the same situation on mine last year.:mad:

·
Super Moderator
12,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, the plot thickens. I cleaned the engine and changed the drain plug seal. Everything was ok for a couple of days. Sunday I went to back the bike out of the garage, and there was about 1/3 quart of oil on the ground. :eek: So, I did a quick 3 hole oil change to be sure it's definitely the engine oil. The tranny and primary were fine, both were full. The engine was a little low, so obviously that's where it came from. But one weird thing, the oil I drained out of the engine was more soiled than the oil on the ground, I can't figure that out. Anyway I went for a ride, (about 250 miles) came back home and put the bike on the center stand. Just to prove a point, I put a bowl right under my drain plug. Now this problem usually takes 2 or three days to occur, but this morning when I checked, there was oil, absolutely none in the bowl, but it all seems to be coming from the right rear of the engine. I put a large aluminum pan under the bike, 6 hours later, there's a small amount, definitely coming from the right rear. I was told to check the umbrella valves, which I plan to do, but first I want to make sure that the oil might be coming from an engine vent. If memory serves me right, the gas vent is on the left, so is the tube on the right from the engine, possibly the breather?:confused: Well when I have time, (busy schedule this week), I'm going to clean the engine again, remove the seat and check that other tube. I hope it's that simple, if not all I have to say is I'll be carrying an extra quart of oil and a mat to SW5, I'm not putting my bike in the shop, and I just don't know how much time I'll have to fix on it in the next few weeks. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
12,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had a few minutes to check things out, both tubes are from the gas tank, everything around the A/C and on top of the engine is dry, guess that probably takes away the umbrella valves. I'll degrease everything and keep looking. :(

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Had a few minutes to check things out, both tubes are from the gas tank, everything around the A/C and on top of the engine is dry, guess that probably takes away the umbrella valves. I'll degrease everything and keep looking. :(
Check all you oil lines and connections. Sorry its happening this close to your trip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts