Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are houses being built on both sides of my house right now and of course I got a roofing nail in my tire. Pulled the nail and plugged the tire which is doing the trick for now. A couple questions - 1) Can I ride a plugged tire or should I replace right away? 2) What aftermarket tires do you fellas like rather than the stockers?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
There are houses being built on both sides of my house right now and of course I got a roofing nail in my tire. Pulled the nail and plugged the tire which is doing the trick for now. A couple questions - 1) Can I ride a plugged tire or should I replace right away? 2) What aftermarket tires do you fellas like rather than the stockers?

Thanks,

Jim
I would not ride with a plugged tire and more so if it is a front tire. On replacing a tire, if the other tire is still fairly new, I would keep the same brand of tire for the replacement. I know of others that have kept a rear tire that was plugged and got good mileage out of it, but I would not do that. This is just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Alot of threads on here on tires. Dunlop American Elites are my choice. A internal patch is better than a plug, I feel. Kind of depends on how many miles you have on the tire. Always better o change it out but plugs and patches are ok as long as your not in the sidewall. Just remember you only have 2 tires on a bike.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Depending on your tire manufacturer you may have a road hazard warranty and can replace it at less than retail, depending on mileage, age, etc. Plug vs patch vs replacement is up to you. unless someone out there has verifiable data on plugged tires failing at a rate greater than unplugged tires, i'd say do what you are comfortable with. it is your life. Personally I always put "Ride-on" Tire sealant and balancer in every tire I install on my bike. Good piece of mind for little expense

·
Registered
467 Posts
When you only have two tires you better have good ones.
I have plugged tires to get home but that is it. Even that is taking a chance.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses. I was leaning towards replacement anyway, but now for sure will. The problem is my bike came with a "tires for life" add on which gives me free tire replacement from the dealer when the tires hit 3/32 tread. Unfortunately this add on does not cover a roofing nail. So, I'll be replacing with a stock tire. Ride safe this weekend, fellas.

·
Registered
50 Posts
while u are at it

I got the tire and wheel policy, around $400 for 2yrs, which is when my 17 warranty runs out. I'll trade by then. so far, 3 nails, 3 new rear tires replaced free. dealer charges around $350 for rear tire with no policy. I have 25k miles on bike, so am way ahead on tire policy. another thought, put a tube in it. a lot cheaper, and safe. oh, also........if u bend a wheel, $1100 out of pocket . policy covers it too

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the tire and wheel policy, around $400 for 2yrs, which is when my 17 warranty runs out. I'll trade by then. so far, 3 nails, 3 new rear tires replaced free. dealer charges around $350 for rear tire with no policy. I have 25k miles on bike, so am way ahead on tire policy. another thought, put a tube in it. a lot cheaper, and safe. oh, also........if u bend a wheel, $1100 out of pocket . policy covers it too
I talked to my dealer about the tire and wheel policy too. I can add it, but only when I replace the tires. Something about they don't want people buying it and making a claim the next day. Who would possibly consider doing such a thing...

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I was leaning towards replacement anyway, but now for sure will. The problem is my bike came with a "tires for life" add on which gives me free tire replacement from the dealer when the tires hit 3/32 tread. Unfortunately this add on does not cover a roofing nail. So, I'll be replacing with a stock tire. Ride safe this weekend, fellas.
Well, if it's not in the front tire I'd say there's a > 75% probability it's in the rear,
which makes a fine canident for the 'Plug Reliability Test'
Being front fender cautious
dead head or curb your front tire, mix a water n bleach solution, warm up your Roadglide and wide throttle in quick wrist motions while pouring the solution on the rear tire.... cease when thread deph is 3/16's.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Well, if it's not in the front tire I'd say there's a > 75% probability it's in the rear,
which makes a fine canident for the 'Plug Reliability Test'
Being front fender cautious
dead head or curb your front tire, mix a water n bleach solution, warm up your Roadglide and wide throttle in quick wrist motions while pouring the solution on the rear tire.... cease when thread deph is 3/16's.
I was actually going to suggest the same thing Red. I think a videotaped burnout is in order. >:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why is it the rear tires get the nail? I have heard a couple of theories.

The theory I like is the nail is laying flat when the front tire goes over it. The front tire puts the nail in motion, which can create the right conditions for a rear tire puncture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Plugs overall are better than patches for larger punctures. It's also easier to plug than patch a tire. Why? You can do it on the bike without removing the tire. Nails are relatively minor punctures. The big issue is where the puncture is. If its in the sidewall then the tire is pretty much waisted. If its in the main tread zone or below the tread zone its not an issue at all. I had a rear tread puncture at around 3k. I drove it till it was about bald with zero issues. Proper installation of any plug or patch is critical.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I only plug a tire if I am away from home and need to get home.

If I discover the flat at home and it is a simple puncture, I will pull the tire and patch it from the inside and put it back on. Of course I will make the determination to patch or replace based on where the puncture is located and how many miles are on the tire.

Personally, I would go after the builder to replace the tire. If he balks I will tell him I better see someone rolling one of those magnets every day or we are going to small claims court.

When we had our roof replaced I walked around with a magnet when the workers were done and supposedly had cleaned up. I found 20 nails around the house and many on the gravel drive where the trash truck was parked. Needless to say the roofer had to walk around with one of those roller magnets before he got paid.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Plug to get you home, then replace the tire. Dunlap American Elite or Michelin Commander II are my choices.

I got a nail on my way home from DC... rear end felt squishy, didn't know I had a flat then (Thank God for my safe return).

Now I know what a flat rear tire feels like when I ride.... I do carry a plug kit just to get me by if I'm on the road so I can get to a garage to replace.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Over 42 years of street Harleys I've plugged 3 rear tires with no issues for the remaining service life of the tires...

I use only leather plugs,,, NO rubber plugs... small round holes such as by a nail or screw,,, no tears... yes, only in the tread, not in sidewall yada,,, yada...

All Ride-On gave me was a false sense of security and made my wallet lighter by $45.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts