Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, Iam changing over to a narrow outer primary cover and I would think the wet refill would be less than 38oz.
With the narrow primary cover on, there is no way to see the bottom of the clutch basket.
Maybe just fill to the bottom of the opening?

btw, drained the primary first and there was no red shockproof in the old primary oil.
60K no transferring miles :wink:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just level the scooter, not leaning on the side stand. Then fill it until the fluid just touches the bottom of the pressure plate.
Thanks, that's what I figured, but I can't see the bottom because of the tight fit between the cover and basket. I filled till it overflowed and then let it sit for a couple minutes upright. Buttoned it up and took a test spin, everything seems to release okay and no noticeable feel in the clutch. IDK Iam going to go to lunch and see if I notice anything.....I can always loosen the drain plug and let a "few" ounces seep out.
Was hoping someone would know the "official refill" according to the MoCo

**Edit**
After replying and second guessing myself, I went out to the garage with my glasses and big led light and pulled the derby cover. YEP, the fluid is visable, to an old man with glasses & light :)
Used a syringe and pulled 6 oz out, which would put me at approx. 30-32oz....
Thank you Thermodyne and Mike for the reply

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Bruce, I have the Narrow Primary Cover on My 2012 Custom and whenever I change the fluid I just refill it with 1 quart and that seems to be where it will hit the bottom of The Pressure Plate Clutch Assembly.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Thanks, that's what I figured, but I can't see the bottom because of the tight fit between the cover and basket. I filled till it overflowed and then let it sit for a couple minutes upright. Buttoned it up and took a test spin, everything seems to release okay and no noticeable feel in the clutch. IDK Iam going to go to lunch and see if I notice anything.....I can always loosen the drain plug and let a "few" ounces seep out.
Was hoping someone would know the "official refill" according to the MoCo

**Edit**
After replying and second guessing myself, I went out to the garage with my glasses and big led light and pulled the derby cover. YEP, the fluid is visable, to an old man with glasses & light :)
Used a syringe and pulled 6 oz out, which would put me at approx. 30-32oz....
Thank you Thermodyne and Mike for the reply
I use a little pocket mirror and a small flash light. A third hand would be nice, but flash light in the mouth works.

The actual amount of oil is not critical. You just don't want the clutch pack dipped in oil when the motor is running, and the scooter is upright. You could be 1/4 inch to the low side and it would be fine.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Older and wear glass . I can see inside narrow primary just fine to see level. If it is on the side stand and filled to just before it runs out you will be darn close.

·
Registered
186 Posts
As the title states, Iam changing over to a narrow outer primary cover and I would think the wet refill would be less than 38oz.
With the narrow primary cover on, there is no way to see the bottom of the clutch basket.
Maybe just fill to the bottom of the opening?

btw, drained the primary first and there was no red shockproof in the old primary oil.
60K no transferring miles :wink:
On my 2019 which comes stock with the narrow primary, the manual states 34oz dry, 30oz wet. If you’re replacing the cover it would be on the “dry” side I would assume.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my 2019 which comes stock with the narrow primary, the manual states 34oz dry, 30oz wet. If you’re replacing the cover it would be on the “dry” side I would assume.
My understanding wet is after the clutch plates have soaked in the oil, dry would be new out of the box clutch plates.
Thanks for that info, I wrote in in my service manual

1 - 8 of 8 Posts