Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on my FB but for those of you who arent on there....gimme your opinions, thoughts, do's & dont's of riding the Natchez Trace.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
dBell has us going there on our route to SW5. He might have some info for you.

·
Super Moderator
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent. Thanks Q. Im sure he'll chime in here or on FB.

·
Super Moderator
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I posted it on my page since I have so many non-shark riding friends....lol

·
Registered
563 Posts
Last September I joined a friend in riding the Trace. He started at the beginning and I joined him in Lawrenceburg, TN. It's a great, relaxing ride. Miles of unobstructed road.

My suggestion would be to get a map and read up on the history along the trace. We missed a few stops early on when we didn't check out the sights. We found a great little museum just before crossing into Mississippi. Read up on what we'd be seeing and slowed our pace. Took us two days to get to Natchez, then a day visiting Vicksburg's battlefields, Windsor Ruins (an off the path site, but worth the stop), and Port Gibson. Wished we could have spent more time around the Jackson area.

Cypress Swamp is very cool (just north of Jackson) and worth time spent walking the paths). Watch for the signs for some of the original Trace. Puts it into perspective how basic it was as a transportation route.

Enjoy. I'd love to do it again someday if I ever get back down that way.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Last September I joined a friend in riding the Trace. He started at the beginning and I joined him in Lawrenceburg, TN. It's a great, relaxing ride. Miles of unobstructed road.

My suggestion would be to get a map and read up on the history along the trace. We missed a few stops early on when we didn't check out the sights. We found a great little museum just before crossing into Mississippi. Read up on what we'd be seeing and slowed our pace. Took us two days to get to Natchez, then a day visiting Vicksburg's battlefields, Windsor Ruins (an off the path site, but worth the stop), and Port Gibson. Wished we could have spent more time around the Jackson area.

Cypress Swamp is very cool (just north of Jackson) and worth time spent walking the paths). Watch for the signs for some of the original Trace. Puts it into perspective how basic it was as a transportation route.

Enjoy. I'd love to do it again someday if I ever get back down that way.
The history is pretty amazing. Folks in Tennessee floating their harvests and wares down to Natchez and walking or riding home along the trace with their annual "salary" on them. Plenty of bad guys along the route waiting to take it from them. And the Native Americans that originally used it.

But man, when we rode it from south to north en route to the Harley 100th we got so bored we bailed out in northern Alabama. It was like Groundhog Day. Just couldn't take the 50 mph anymore and you can only look at so many Indian Mounds. We didn't like it. Of course, we didn't ride the best part in Tennessee, but still..

·
Super Moderator
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. Boring was the key word we were looking for. Just not our riding style.
SWI's trip on Skyline Dr was that way. While it was nice for a few miles, I was ready to twist the wick and get outta there.
I can appreciate the history & would like to stop to see some of the sites but it'll just have to wait for another day.

·
Super Moderator
13,060 Posts
I'm just seeing this post, I received a map from the US parks department that gives what mile markers the different historic sites are at. I've never been, but it looks to be interesting, I'll let you know when we get to SW5.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MAKE sure you stop and see Tom Hendricks! If you do only one thing, make sure you do that.... Google his location. about one block off the trace and NOT on the maps...

Oh, allow at least an hour to visit with him.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I rode it a few years ago with some buddy's from the beginning to the end, while it is some pretty country it is very boring. The last part in Tenn is the best. Don't think I'll ride it again. And you have to get off to eat, fuel and sleep.

And lots of wildlife crossing the road in front of you.

Just my opinion.....

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It's a very slow pace and relaxing ride. Don't speed. Not anywhere you want to be in a hurry. They watch it well.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Four of us rode the trace in 2013. To me, it is a very boring route/ride. I don't have to have big sweeping curves to enjoy the ride, just need more than what it has to offer. Sure there is a lot of history along the route, but to me it is not a great road for riding a motorcycle. It doesn't have a lot of scenic views and I did ride it from North to South so thinking it would have been better on the TN end is not the case. Just my take on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,060 Posts
You guys are trying to kill my ride, lol. Slow easy and boring can be relaxing sometimes. Well, sometimes you have to see for yourself, I remember when I was told RGs are ugly and nobody wants one. :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
I rode it once from north to south - nice easy ride, glad I did it but won't repeat. It's not like the Dragon or the Devils Highway where you can't wait to do it again.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
My excitement for the route has just fizzled out. LoL

·
Registered
563 Posts
No doubt .. this isn't a Terrible Twistie ride. It is a rather unobstructed, relaxed ride across an area there's nothing to see anyway. We rode this after a week in the Smokies, so I was good with the crazy $hit. Ride it for the pace and history. Else jump on the flat, boring Mississippi freeway system and just get there fast. Never been one to just get there fast.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts