Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like it's my turn to organize the reunion ride for me and my old USAF buds. Considering where everybody has to come from Western North Carolina seems to be about as central to everybody as we can hope for. We've already done Deal's Gap and then Asheville and while the riding is awesome I'm thinking we'd like to spread out to some new territory. I guess staying within a hundred miles or so of say...Deal's Gap, what's a good destination to make our base camp? We'd like biker friendly accommodations...doesn't have to be extravagant just decent, within close proximity to a watering hole after the day's riding is through. We usually travel and meet up on a Friday, do rides (we love the twisties) Saturday and Sunday, and then part ways on Monday.
Anybody got a recommendation that fits this order? Tennessee and Alabama are not out of the question, we'll just owe a couple extra rounds to the boys coming from the coast providing they even agree. I appreciate any recommendations y'all might have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WNC rides

If you rode to the Tail of the Dragon, you rode down the Moonshiner and the Hellbender and you passed the turn off to Cherohola Skyway. Most of the Cherohola is more than a mile high and it ends in Tellico Plains, Tn and there are many biker friendly campgrounds from Fontana,NC west. Also if it's warm, the Great Smoky Mtns Pkwy is a beautiful ride from Cherokee into Pigeon Forge, Tn. One more favorite is Hwy 19 thru Nantahala Gorge into Eastern Tn. Hope this helps. Also you may want to contact the Deals Gap MC resort via email, they may have some suggestions as well.

Ride safe,

Chuck

·
Registered
613 Posts
When our group meets we have people riding in from eastern NC, GA and FL we will meet in Hickory, NC staying at the Best Western at exit 125 off of I-40. You have Carrabba's walking distance and the Harley shop a few blocks away that has the saloon next door. Good riding north and south of I-40. We also meet up in Lenoir City, TN staying at the Holiday Inn Express. You have a great Mexican restaurant in the same lot which has a nice bar area, Buddy's BBQ is next door as well as most of the chain Chili's style restaurants within a mile. The rides/routes are endless from this location and smoky mountain HD is about 18 miles is close by and they can hook you up with route suggestions if you need some help. Good luck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
"Wheels throught time" in Maggie Valley, NC GREAT destination, do some spring/summer snowboarding there as well (man made snow). Might time it for the Cherokee rally in Cherokee, NC. Good wholesome biker time right there...lol
Nanahala Outdoor Center (NOC) if you wanna do some white water rafting as well.

lots of places other then your standard "dragon type" stuff

could always take a ride to Camp LeJuen, NC but not too sure you AF fellas would fair to well down there in the Devil dog pound....lol:D:D

·
Super Moderator
10,259 Posts
We also meet up in Lenoir City, TN staying at the Holiday Inn Express. You have a great Mexican restaurant in the same lot which has a nice bar area, Buddy's BBQ is next door as well as most of the chain Chili's style restaurants within a mile. The rides/routes are endless from this location and smoky mountain HD is about 18 miles is close by and they can hook you up with route suggestions if you need some help. Good luck.
stayed there before:cool:

is a good spot to use as a base without getting caught up in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg traffic , easy to hit Cherohala Skyway from there ..

JtB

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. We've done the Wheels through Time several times, so we can check that one off. Doing the Dragon's Tail again would be okay, but not a must as we've done that several times too. Lenoir TN sounds interesting. Anybody know anything about Maryville TN? It's east of Lenoir. It seems a little closer to the mountains and may be a little smaller scale. I Googled "bike friendly places" near there and got some interesting hits. It will probably be April before we do this (can you tell I'm anxious to ride?) but we need to plan this out a ways so a couple folks can figure it into their work schedule. Appreciate the inputs...let me know if you think of anything else.

Magnum

·
Registered
613 Posts
Maryville is a nice town, it grew up around the college and hospital. Getting to good riding area is easy from there. Best Western in Townsend is a good place too, they normally have a two night special.

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all, you folks rock! Blairsville and Copperhead Lodge is really nice, me and the OL did it once and we really enjoyed it. I forget their names but the owner/operators really went out of their way to accommodate us. The only thing about that is since I’m in charge of logistics, it may appear that I’m fudging the initial ride in my favor since I live in Middle GA. Now if the brother from FL is going to be able to make it this year that may skew the convergence point. The only problem I’ve had with places like the Rider’s Roost (never been to the RR though, just saying in general) is some of our group’s schedule gets pretty fluid and we have to adjust within a week +/- at the last possible minute and then the biker resorts don’t have rooms to accommodate our changes. It’s just the nature of doing a business and I understand that. Motel/Hotels seem a little more flexible in this respect.
I think I’m going to explore Maryville TN a little more. Something keeps pulling me back there. Appreciate everybody’s input…if you think of anything else let me know. Ride safe!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts