Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here adjust the steering neck bearings on a 2012 or recent FLTRX? I have done my 1k service with the exception of tightening the neck bearing. I have the service manuel and started to do this the other day just to get started and see where the manuel states you need to make a homemade tool to adjust the bearing (really?? homemade tool??). Then it shows where you need a special tool to align the ignition switch after removing it. Anyone done this that has any tips or tricks to make it a little easier?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Do a search on here about ignition switch removal or YouTube. The video is on both. I used a screwdriver, with no problems. Same with neck bearing adjustment. Do a search. Thier is tons of info. I used a long flat head screwdriver that I hammered into a small bend. Worked nicely.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
before you go to all this trouble, do the fallaway check. if it is within spec. don't mess with it. and just in case your manual still has the old specs, it has been changed to 1.5 to 3 swings (i think thats what it is, mine is on the tight side at 2)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2012 manuel for the FLTRX says minimum of 1 maximum of 2 swings. Mine makes 4 so I figured it was a little loose. I'm going to try putting more grease in before I try adjusting though. I put about 10 pumps in but didn't keep pumping until it came out like the manuel says.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wanna know how you are getting a grease fitting to properly fit that zerk fitting? On my '05 Glide I cannot get a straight shot to put grease in.......I've been using a 90* fitting but that doesn't seem to work very well. I'm actually thinking about using a high speed grinder and cut out the opening a little so I can get a straight on shot at the fitting..........I haven't looked at my 2012 Road Glide yet but I am open to ideas.

Also, What grease are you using? I have been using the HD grease but I was wondering what the mil spec on it is so that I could buy it elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I wanna know how you are getting a grease fitting to properly fit that zerk fitting? On my '05 Glide I cannot get a straight shot to put grease in.......I've been using a 90* fitting but that doesn't seem to work very well. I'm actually thinking about using a high speed grinder and cut out the opening a little so I can get a straight on shot at the fitting..........I haven't looked at my 2012 Road Glide yet but I am open to ideas.

Also, What grease are you using? I have been using the HD grease but I was wondering what the mil spec on it is so that I could buy it elsewhere.
My grease gun fit the zerk no problem. Harbor frieght grease gun with the flex end. HF also sells zerk fittings in a big assortment pack if you want to try a 45* or something different. Also, I use green grease(thats what its called on the tube). Heard some of the other kinds will melt and run down the forks in the summer, no prob with green.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I did the steering bolt adjustment myself and remember seeing the greese fitting. Of course I forgot to greese it. Can I get at it without removing the guage cluster etc? I'll have to consult the manuel later to check it out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My grease gun fit the zerk no problem. Harbor frieght grease gun with the flex end. HF also sells zerk fittings in a big assortment pack if you want to try a 45* or something different. Also, I use green grease(thats what its called on the tube). Heard some of the other kinds will melt and run down the forks in the summer, no prob with green.
Any idea if the zerk fittings are pressed in or screwed in? I looked at mine again today and there is no way to put a flex end grease fitting straight on the zerk without first modifying the fairing bracket. I'm gonna have to check in to the "green grease".

·
Registered
505 Posts
Zerk fittings are threaded. Replace with a 90 degree fittings or get a connection that slides on from the side. I've used "Green grease" for years in the fork stem. Good stuff and no drips in hot weather.

Some food for thought on neck bearings.

I've spent 50 years adjusting fork stem bearings the same way and have never had a problem yet. Front wheel off the ground and bike sitting level, loosen lower triple tree pinch bolts, tighten the bearings until you can feel the front end dragging a bit, then back off a little so the front end turns freely and there is little or no up and down movement in the fork neck. Tighten everything back up, pinch bolts 1st. Very similiar to doing wheel bearing on cars or trailers.

The HD fallaway method has too much connected stuff (cables, etc) that affect it and just doesn't work good. JMHO

·
Registered
129 Posts
Zerk fittings are threaded. Replace with a 90 degree fittings or get a connection that slides on from the side. I've used "Green grease" for years in the fork stem. Good stuff and no drips in hot weather.
Thanks Ed, I have tried the grease connection that slides on from the side......works very poorly. If they are threaded I will go that route before I cut the fairing bracket any. I am going to check on that "green grease"

Thanks again

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you do not have any front end shimmy between 40 - 50 on decelleration, why bother unless things are really loose. As to grease fittings, get a 90 degree job - makes life much easier.

BTW - I use a good quality marine grease as its water proof and does not seem to melt away on hot days.

·
Registered
55 Posts
before you go to all this trouble, do the fallaway check. if it is within spec. don't mess with it. and just in case your manual still has the old specs, it has been changed to 1.5 to 3 swings (i think thats what it is, mine is on the tight side at 2)
What is a swing u refer to? I have never had to adjust the neck bearings befor on a factory set up bike.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
What is a swing u refer to? I have never had to adjust the neck bearings befor on a factory set up bike.
Put it on a lift, so the handlebars can swing freely. You may have to remove the clutch if its tight. Crank the bars all the way left or right and let them go. It should swing all the way right, left and settle straight. If it keeps swinging, mine was 5, than you need to tighten the bearing.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Mine came from the factory with a wobble, not uncommon since its the same setup as the EG which allows for a 3 swing since the faring is mounted the the forks. At least thats how the service manager rationalized :eek:the factory error???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts