Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all is involved in changing over to aftermarket? Will I loose my intercom too? Is anyone's kit better than the others? It's on a 2011 rgu. Guess I'll loose my cb too

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I put a sony radio in my 12 RG custom the back lighting sucks in the day time,cant see what station is playing,having issues with the usb when i hit a bump doesnt have to be hard it will loose the signal from my MP3 player even if it is plugged in with a cord,you will have to use a Biketronic's kit to be able to use the hand controls.There is a company that makes a replacement radio,but the name escapes me at the moment.Thinking of going back to the stock radio,or upgrade to a marine radio.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Went Biketronics radio kit with Kenwood excelon deck. Very happy so far, but i will have to figure a solution for the clock. Display is useless when riding anyways. Dont use intercom or CB so dont care. Way clearer than stock deck though

·
Registered
333 Posts
Unless you go with another HD/HK head unit, and most of the ones available are "re-manufactured" units, you will lose your intercom and cb. This can be compensated for by switching to one of the Bluetooth comm units, but there are limitations to the technology (as I am learning each day). Also, a number of the aftermarket head units, though marine grade, have displays that are not easily seen from a seated position and are often not visible through polarized sunglasses.

I got tired of having my head unit repaired and/or replaced, so I made the jump. Still have my old unit and may just send it to be repaired(again), and Iron Cross Audio is the source for much of the refurbishment. Have almost thought of sending the old unit in to have a USB port installed to the rear and add the iPod interface unit, then go back to the original style.

Of course, this is just free knowledge and may just be worth what you paid to get it.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
2,339 Posts
Went Biketronics radio kit with Kenwood excelon deck. Very happy so far, but i will have to figure a solution for the clock. Display is useless when riding anyways. Dont use intercom or CB so dont care. Way clearer than stock deck though

Tap the odometer mode (reset) button until you see 1200 flashing (think VCR) that's your clock. Hold the odometer button in for a few seconds to cycle through the time settings.

Once you remove the HK radio, the clock becomes enabled on the odometer window.

Reactions: ameleo

·
Registered
230 Posts
^^^^^^^The knowledge on the forum is priceless, thanks for clock info

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tap the odometer mode (reset) button until you see 1200 flashing (think VCR) that's your clock. Hold the odometer button in for a few seconds to cycle through the time settings.

Once you remove the HK radio, the clock becomes enabled on the odometer window.
Does the hk radio have to be in to do this?

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
2,339 Posts
Does the hk radio have to be in to do this?

If you have the Harley HK radio the time is ported to the radio face. Take the radio out and the time is ported to the odometer. This leads me to believe that the time comes from the ECM, and not the radio.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
...There is a company that makes a replacement radio,but the name escapes me at the moment.Thinking of going back to the stock radio,or upgrade to a marine radio.
Do you mean the Jensen HD1BT? I was considering getting this unit as Jensen make quality stereos and it's a plug&play. The only thing I don't like is the fact that all the audio-in channels are on the rear side. So if you like me want to use your iPod or MP3-player you'll have to drill a hole in the inner fairing...:frown:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I really like the design and the fact that you can use your handelbar controls not to mention that no drilling needed! :)
BTW I've only heard some complaints about the unit lacking a time piece but that isn't such a big issue to me. I would just get a Marlin clock or simialr to remedy that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just ordered the Kenwood krm312bt with biketronics kit and splash cover, I wanted alpine since I have there and but they don't make marine radios

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just ordered the Kenwood krm312bt with biketronics kit and splash cover, I wanted alpine since I have there and but they don't make marine radios

I have just put that unit on my bike and so far am pleased. Still trying to figure out the Bluetooth configuration, but just need an afternoon and some brain lube. They ran a USB line from my right glove box and notched the front so I can hook my IPhone in and get power as well as stream music. Now just need to work the BT headset connection and all will be well.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you have the Harley HK radio the time is ported to the radio face. Take the radio out and the time is ported to the odometer. This leads me to believe that the time comes from the ECM, and not the radio.
I have a Sony radio in with the Biketronics hookup, but cannot get the clock on the odometer. Either it doesn't work that way or I am missing something. Not stealing the thread, but only saying because this was said in the thread.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.