Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had some life changes and need cash. Hurts me to do it but I am thinking of selling my bike. What is the consensus on returning the bike to stock versus selling the bike with upgrades/accessories? Will I make more money selling the bike stock and the parts separately? If so, will the difference be enough to cover shop costs? Looking for what the consensus is here. What do you think?

Details:

2011 FLTRX Sedona Orange ~10k miles
Revolution 106, fueling 574's, V&H Pro Pipe, K&N Heavy Breather, Avon Air Grips,Iron Aces GPS Mount, Mid-frame Deflectors, Highway pegs, passenger back rest, Air wing rack, Air wing led saddle bags, Short antenna, madstad windshield, carlini 14 in flying apes, Traxxion ak-20 front forks, bitubo rear shocks...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Sorry to hear you have to get rid of the scooter. You have a tricky question there on your bike. Quite a few of your mods are not easily reversible. If you were to reverse it, do you have the original parts and the skill to do the work on your own? And then would what the parts sell for be worth it to you? If you were trading it in I would say pull it off because usually all you get is the value of the bike itself and not the ginger on it. Your add ons become a selling bonus for the dealer. Since you made it clear you have to get rid of it I'm gonna go with a private sale is how you are selling it. In my opinion sell it as is and price it on the higher side so it allows for some haggling with a fair price for both parties in the end. You have some very tasteful upgrades, I seriously don't think you will have an issue selling it with the add ons for a fair $. Just my $.02. Good luck!

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,814 Posts
+1 with BH#103

Most of your mods are either too difficult to reverse quickly, or not worth enough as used parts to bother with. For me, the exception would be the Madstad. I'd pull that off and replace it with stock or some other inexpensive shield. Put the Madstad for sale on here. It's worth some decent money, would be easy to swap back to stock, and quite frankly the Madstads are a bit of an acquired taste. Many potential local buyers will think it's fugly and woudn't give you a nickel for it, so I'd sell it to those who already are familiar with it's benefits and would pay you a reasonable price for it. Sorry you have to sell and good luck with your sale.

·
Registered
927 Posts
+1 with BH#103

Most of your mods are either too difficult to reverse quickly, or not worth enough as used parts to bother with. For me, the exception would be the Madstad. I'd pull that off and replace it with stock or some other inexpensive shield. Put the Madstad for sale on here. It's worth some decent money, would be easy to swap back to stock, and quite frankly the Madstads are a bit of an acquired taste. Many potential local buyers will think it's fugly and woudn't give you a nickel for it, so I'd sell it to those who already are familiar with it's benefits and would pay you a reasonable price for it. Sorry you have to sell and good luck with your sale.
Agree with this. The other parts could be worth removing yourself if trading in but not worth paying the dealer to remove. If selling yourself ask a higher price then negotiate.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Sorry you have to sell your scoot, but in the end, its just a bike. Issues pop up and you need cash, when things settle down, purchase yourself another.
It's a beautiful bike, I would think selling the package as is, would be your best bet......GLWS

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sometime or another we all may have had to take a bath, usually the first bath you take is the best and then you can move on.
Best of luck, and better days ahead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I notice you say you are "thinking" about selling your bike. I don't know your riding history but if riding is a part of your life, do everything you can to avoid selling it. I did what you are thinking about doing about 20 or so years ago. I regretted it almost immediately and I was back at a dealer a year and a half later starting from scratch. Do every other possible thing to take care of your financial issues before selling. Sell only as a last resort.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I notice you say you are "thinking" about selling your bike. I don't know your riding history but if riding is a part of your life, do everything you can to avoid selling it. I did what you are thinking about doing about 20 or so years ago. I regretted it almost immediately and I was back at a dealer a year and a half later starting from scratch. Do every other possible thing to take care of your financial issues before selling. Sell only as a last resort.
I agree with sell only as last resort. I had a wreck that caused me to be disabled rebuilt the bike and rode for two years until I had a close call traded it in for a corvette which was close to be as satisfying then the vette wore out after two years and took me ten years to get another bike in which the whole time I regretted not being able to ride. When I traded that first bike in I honestly thought I would never ride again, but never got rid of the desire to ride.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to thank everyone who put in their 2 cents. The idea to remove the madstad is spot on, it's more for the riding than the looking. I have the stock and a wind splitter for the bike. I think the wind splitter looks the coolest.

As for holding on to it until the bitter end, I have another bike not nearly worth as much. So I'll still be able to ride. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Well said. Have lived that story twice now and currently own a 2016 SG that I will have for many years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts