Road Glide banner

Need advice re:amp

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  kwcommando 
#1 ·
First I have read so much regarding speakers and amps etc and everyone has different advice well here goes for me. I have a 17 RGS and have just purchased a pair of Rokker XXR 6.71 speakers for an upgrade for the front. Haven't heard much about these here but willing to try. My plan is to upgrade front first and later put in some saddle bag speakers but I need recommendations with specs for an amp. taking into account the two rear will be future don't know when. Want to do highway and still hear quality music.
Really appreciate any input
Thanks

#2 ·
First I have read so much regarding speakers and amps etc and everyone has different advice well here goes for me...............Really appreciate any input
Thanks
The good news about the forums - there's a ton of information. The bad news about the forums - there's a ton of information. The ugly news about the forums - sound is just so stinking subjective. What sounds great to one person sounds ok or bad to someone else and there are so many choices and combinations out there it's easy to make your head spin. Looks like you're already figuring that out so you're ahead of the game.

You said any input, so I'll be brutally honest.

I ran JM stuff when I first started dabbling in audio and pulled it out after a few months. I'm no expert, but I've tried many combinations and do a ton of homework before I buy anything. I will never run JM audio in my bike again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone that asked. Some guys will flat out tell you it is crap. There are guys that swear by it. I will tell you it's not crap, but it is way way overpriced for what you get. Do some searches here and on the other forum and decide for yourself. A lot more votes for crap than good stuff. To my ears it falls between Boom Stage 1 and Boom Stage II. It's louder than Stage II, but Stage II sounds better to me. At higher volumes and speeds they are tinny to the point of harsh on my ears. To me the exponentially cheaper infinity Kappa 62.11 get just as loud and sound better at speed. I'd send them back or cancel the order.

As far as amps you already mentioned the important thing - build for the future. The soundstream and CV are decent entry level amps. If you keep the JM speaks that would be my choice because I bet it doesn't stay in the bike until the end of the season and you can sell the amp for a few bucks and put it towards a new system. Move up in price and you're looking at arc audio 600.4, biketronics if adjustability isn't important to you (at least until the new one comes out, the 4250 will be an absolute beast), upper end fosgate stuff, the new focal fdp sport, and the JL audio stuff is real popular (all of that listed in no particular order). The trick is getting something with enough power to push 4 speakers that matches up well with your speakers. A lot of the 4 channel amps are being used by guys to get big power bridged and don't really excel at true 4 channel ops. I run a micro 4V2 bridged and love it for fairing speakers, wouldn't even consider it in 4 channel mode, not enough oomph.

Lastly, my approach is buy once cry once. I've done everything from cheap to high end. Buy a good amp and you won't be disappointed. You may swap speakers a few times finding what sounds good to your ears, but money spent on a good amp will never be wasted.

#6 ·
Thats about as nice a writeup on that particular brand as I have seen. I'm not so sure I would have been that nice. I'm sorry but it just comes across as snake oil.

You are so spot on about buy once pay once. If I ever decide to swap out my current setup, I will just sock away money and do it up big and be done. LOL (I cant see doing it over again but if that bug bites me I am FUCKED!!!)

Great advice as always,

Mike

#3 ·
I run the Soundstream 520 D. With 4 Infinity kappa's .5x7" up front and 6" in the lowers. This system sounds decent and plays loud. Best of all ,it's very affordable. I been running this system for over 3 yrs and only had to replace 1 speaker.

Like mentioned above. There are much better systems out there, but what are you willing to spend and how will you use it. I believe you lose a lot of the high fedely over 40 mph . So unless your a city rider or do parking lots ,you waste a lot of what the higher end systems got to offer buck for bang. JMO.

#7 ·
That's not good because they sound way better in the garage without bike running than they will going down the road. Did you mount with adapter rings or straight to the pods? If straight to pods maybe hitting on side of the pods. If they sat flush and are still rattling than sounds like you got a bad set. Is it too late to return??

#9 ·
I finished hooking my new amp and speakers this past weekend in my 2016 FLTRXS. I used Sloride suggestions, except for the speakers. I installed a Diamond Micro 2V2 500 w RMS 2 channel amp w/ 2 Hertz HCX 165 6.5" 2 way coaxial spkrs. All I bought extra was the Harley harness from Arc Audio which made the hook up a lot easier. The amp fit easily under the bike's stereo. Rode out this Sunday and enjoyed a clean loud sound.
Only thing I had to do was to modify the the lid where the speakers fit because of the size of the magnets. I cut the back to be sure the magnets would fit. HD models we get here are the European models(metric). I don't know if this had to do with the size of the lids where the original speakers are installed. No big deal.
Awesome sound for a very nice budget. Total under $510.00.

#10 ·
Roadie I did only play them in the garage...... winter here and was not pleased with the sound. I am hoping it gets better as can't return, hope sound better with amp. Speakers are not in pods they are fairing ones. I had to drop the base way down so they wouldn't rattle. Fingers crossed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.