Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 CVO, it think these come lowered from HD and i do not plan to change wheel size anytime soon. I am 180lbs and was thinking about going with an air ride but have read that air ride systems like 200+ lbs to work smoothly???

Any way i want to install monotube, Progessives but have no idea what size to get. Which brings the point to the rear what size would be best in the back???

I like cruising mostly and do not ride aggresivley often maybe 15-20.% of the time and solo 100%. I like riding back roads but spend alot of time on the highways.

I originally thought i wanted the air ride system but now i am thinking otherwise, and maybe a good quality sprung system is better???

I am seriously confused on what to get, i contact a few vendors of various systems and they were confused as well. So if someone knows of a proven system i aould appreciate the insight cause i want to put this stuff on order as the money is burning a hole in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
This is my opinion..

Progressive 944 Rear
180 - 200 rear tire
21" or 23" Front
-1 monotubes

I stayed away from air ride never much luck with them, If you want a air ride then I would say go with the Monroe mod people have posted here.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Your CVO comes with 12" gas filled shocks in the rear and as long as you adjust them to your weight they should work well for many miles. If you want to go lower the Progressive 444 shocks can be purchased at 11-1/2". On the front the CVO has the larger gas filled tubes, according to the progressive tech if you want to go lower you can use the Progressive drop in lowering kit or if you are determined to get ride of the Harley tubes install the Progressive monotubes. Then you can lower your front end up to 2" if you want.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
I'm 5-10 and 185 lbs.
I have a 2012 Custom with the Progressive Mono Tubes -1 up front and their 944's in the rear.
I ride solo 100 % of the time and it rides nice and smooth, like it's on rails.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am looking at the Ohlins but considering the Suspension Technologies.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
JRI rear. Great ride and handling. Adjustable for any weight. Call howard at motorcyclemetals.com

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I went with the cheapest...does not have the sweeper valve. Howard will steer u in the direction u should go based on ur riding style. A real straight shooter. Will give u a great forum discount. But be forwarned....Howard loves to talk.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have the HD premium shocks (same as your '12 came standard) and the HD double cartridge forks installed on my '09 SERG and am very happy with the ride / handling .

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm 5-10 and 185 lbs.
I have a 2012 Custom with the Progressive Mono Tubes -1 up front and their 944's in the rear.
I ride solo 100 % of the time and it rides nice and smooth, like it's on rails.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.
I hv same set up not -1. Great ride and easy adjust for the wife on back. Rides like my old 750i

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You might consider a lower seat to allow you to plant your feet better.

There are tradeoffs when lowering suspension beyond a certain point ( ride quality, suspension travel, ground clearance, kick stand operation )

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have a skunk ~ 940's and the Progressive monotubes in the front ~ dropped 2" ~ love it ~ i also use the glide pro bushings but the bushings are not necessary.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So i placed my order, i decided on the 944's and the monotubes standard height. I am also getting some new sliders to top it off. Thanx for everyones advice, i took ot all on consideration.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
So i placed my order, i decided on the 944's and the monotubes standard height. I am also getting some new sliders to top it off. Thanx for everyones advice, i took ot all on consideration.
Give us some feedback when you get some time on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am going to change the shocks and fork springs to 944s and the progressive mono tubes-1. Has anyone felt the need to have the 944hd. ? I ride two up and fully loaded about 30 to 35% of the time. Want the better ride this set up has but don't want to go overboard.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I am going to change the shocks and fork springs to 944s and the progressive mono tubes-1. Has anyone felt the need to have the 944hd. ? I ride two up and fully loaded about 30 to 35% of the time. Want the better ride this set up has but don't want to go overboard.
I spoke with Progressive this summer about their hd stuff (front springs) and was told that a lot of people that order their hd stuff are unhappy with it.

'Would recommend that you call Progressive tech support, tell them about yourself, and ask them for a recommendation. Or catch them at a major rally where you can actually test ride the shocks before purchase.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have Ohlins S36E rear shocks (12") and the CVO solo seat and I am 180 lb - great ride. Add progressive monotubes -2 and a 21" wheel...all you will ever need:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts