Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, trying to develop a plan to getting the Shark back on the road after the accident. Pretty much all of the damage is cosmetic and ALL of the plastic has to be replaced. I mean all of it. the whole fairing inner and outer, lowers, whole saddlebags, side skirts, gas tank, front and rear fenders, etc....

so, my question here is this: Do I stick with HD stuff or would anyone here actually recommend going with Mutazu or Advanblack in order to save money?

I know Mutazu makes just about everything I need and I would just order the HD Hardware. Advanblack doesn't make all the parts. I haven't used either brand as of yet so I don't know of the quality of either other than what I have read on here which has been pretty decent for the most part. So I am looking to get some clarity from those that have used their products. As well as those that may have had a similar situation as mine.

Some other factors: Its my money being spent, not the insurance. I am going to go with a 2-1 fender and saddlebag cutout as I am going to do a Stage 2 with the whole rebuild as I recover from my injuries.

For those that don't know it is a 2018 RGS Vivid Black.

I await your comments, recommendations. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
If Insurance is paying.. don't skimp with "knock-off" parts.. buy Genuine HD. HD parts are nicer and way easier to warranty if need be. You'll also retain the value of your bike. JMO.
I agree with churchburner 100%. Whose money are you saving? The insurance company's? If it's at the dealer, they are going to pay them directly more than likely. Why would you put shit on you new bike?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I agree that it seems really odd that they didn't total the bike with all that damage. But since the OP stated this is coming out of HIS pocket instead of the insurance company, I would say that you could save a few bucks by going with all Advan Black branded parts, but the quality is definitely not like OEM HD stuff. Another thing to think of is that since the bike is going have an accident on the title, the resell value will already be lower, so you might as well save some cash by going aftermarket.

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Stay OEM except for maybe tour pack and lowers.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I did basically the same thing to my 11. Replaced all the painted parts except for one bag and the side covers. I bought a used inner, there are always inner pulls to be had. And then got the rest from the MoCo already painted. With an order that big it was easy to get a discount off of the prices on the insurance estimate, and they were already less than retail.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Insurance won't cover the repairs as I did not have collision coverage on the bike (mistake on my part as I thought I did). I owned the bike outright so it doesn't matter financially I don't owe anyone any money. Just sucks cause the bike is new.

I haven't had anyone look at the bike yet as I have been recovering from my injuries. Thanks to Virginia Law it doesn't matter that both of the cars in front of me were distracted drivers that caused the accident. I am at fault for my damages because I "didn't have enough safe following distance to prevent me from hitting the vehicle in front of me." As I have found out from a motorcycle attorney Virginia is one of 5 states that still has this stupid law and I am screwed because of it. Otherwise I could go after the two in front of me and I wouldn't have an issue with anything at all.

So, I am going to have my HD shop look over the bike and make sure the frame is straight and the motor is still solid. Then I am going to start to take everything apart and buy replacement parts and pieces as well as do the stage II. I am not opposed to going with the HD plastics it just drives me nuts at the costs that they charge for everything. That is why I am asking for reviews from anyone that has dealt with Mutazu or Advanblack with fairings, bags, lowers, etc. to see if the cost savings is worth it or if I should just stick with HD.

I am going to get a quote from the dealer to replace all the plastics too and see what they are willing to do for me that might sway me as well. I just wanted to reach out to all of you and see what advice I could drum up.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Nutt, get ahold of Reggie Harris, the Parts Manager at Horny Toad HD in Temple TX. Let him know you’re a Member of Our Great Forum and he will take very good care of you. You can reach him at (254)743-7200 or email [email protected].
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
So, trying to develop a plan to getting the Shark back on the road after the accident. Pretty much all of the damage is cosmetic and ALL of the plastic has to be replaced. I mean all of it. the whole fairing inner and outer, lowers, whole saddlebags, side skirts, gas tank, front and rear fenders, etc....

so, my question here is this: Do I stick with HD stuff or would anyone here actually recommend going with Mutazu or Advanblack in order to save money?

I know Mutazu makes just about everything I need and I would just order the HD Hardware. Advanblack doesn't make all the parts. I haven't used either brand as of yet so I don't know of the quality of either other than what I have read on here which has been pretty decent for the most part. So I am looking to get some clarity from those that have used their products. As well as those that may have had a similar situation as mine.

Some other factors: Its my money being spent, not the insurance. I am going to go with a 2-1 fender and saddlebag cutout as I am going to do a Stage 2 with the whole rebuild as I recover from my injuries.

For those that don't know it is a 2018 RGS Vivid Black.

I await your comments, recommendations. Thanks in advance.
I have to presume this is an insurance claim, so go stock parts and seek a really GREAT shop for custom paint work - now is your opportunity where all parts are off the bike to be able to take advantage. Alternatively stay stock but still use HD parts. That's just my opinion but id never put non-stock body work onthe bike - UNLESS you are going for a total custom bike then all bets are off

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Well since its out of pocket, it might pay to do some pricing. But I think you'll find that painted MoCo parts aren't that much more than buying aftermarket replacements and having them painted. It is surly a lot less trouble, unless you have a painter who is also a close friend.

Heal up fast, warm weather is not that far off. And painted parts can take a month or more to get. Having them painted can take....lets not even go into that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well since its out of pocket, it might pay to do some pricing. But I think you'll find that painted MoCo parts aren't that much more than buying aftermarket replacements and having them painted. It is surly a lot less trouble, unless you have a painter who is also a close friend.

Heal up fast, warm weather is not that far off. And painted parts can take a month or more to get. Having them painted can take....lets not even go into that.
I have been doing a lot of research! I have nothing but time right now and since I can't walk all I do is search the damn internet. There are some things that I am only going to go with HD MoCo parts as I won't take chances on the aftermarket stuff. However, since it is my money and I am going to go for a different look with a 2-1 exhaust and all, I am going to go with some ADVANBLACK saddlebags to save a little money since they seem to have the best reviewed quality compared to the other aftermarket guys out there.
The front end is going to be HD and I am going to end up going through Ronnie like MikeU recommended for the parts as he seems to have the best prices so far that I can find. Thanks for that!!!

All in all, this forum still proves to be the best place to get any info on these Sharks! I love it and can't wait to hopefully meet some of you in the future!! Thanks and keep the advice, recommendations, ideas coming as they are truly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have been doing a lot of research! I have nothing but time right now and since I can't walk all I do is search the damn internet. There are some things that I am only going to go with HD MoCo parts as I won't take chances on the aftermarket stuff. However, since it is my money and I am going to go for a different look with a 2-1 exhaust and all, I am going to go with some ADVANBLACK saddlebags to save a little money since they seem to have the best reviewed quality compared to the other aftermarket guys out there.
The front end is going to be HD and I am going to end up going through Ronnie like MikeU recommended for the parts as he seems to have the best prices so far that I can find. Thanks for that!!!

All in all, this forum still proves to be the best place to get any info on these Sharks! I love it and can't wait to hopefully meet some of you in the future!! Thanks and keep the advice, recommendations, ideas coming as they are truly appreciated.
There are plenty of complete take off paint sets on eBay. Don’t waste your time sourcing aftermarket. Just grab a full paint set there.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
There's plenty of full paint sets on Ebay. Take offs from dealerships. I'd do that before I went to the aftermarket for anything. You'll spend the same at the end of the day. And likely be cheaper as the paint set is well, painted. Lol.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have found several and am talking to the dealerships here that have takeoffs as well. Only thing I will most likely be going aftermarket on will be the saddlebag lowers as I want the 2-1 set-up. If I buy the complete takeoff set I can sell what I don't need from that to make up the difference.

I am tossing around the idea of doing a fat front tire as well since the whole front end has to come apart anyways........I am going to reach out to crazy4ink (murph) since he is the expert and is only about an hour or so away from me! I was actually going to head his way to meet him before this damn accident happened.

Oh the possibilities!!!!

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Nutt, I have Advan Black Single Sided Exhaust Extended Bags and love them. I also have the Bassani 2 into 1 Road Rage B4 Exhaust and love the sound and the way the transmission cover is accessible without removing the exhaust. I came to my decision on the exhaust by listening to many videos on The YouTube.
As far as Aftermarket Parts I have used Direct Cycle Parts in Texas, ask for Steve Reid 800-745-6830. Also check out Dennis Kirk and Bike Bandit they have some great prices also.
Best of Luck getting Your Glide back together.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well fellas, I appreciate all the solid advice and even though it took some time to get to this point after having to wait for the proper people to go through things it looks like the bike is officially totaled and not worth my time to repair. So, I was able to sell it to a salvage company for a decent amount AFTER taking all of my upgrades off of it to put on another bike once I am able to find one for a good price. So with all that being said....I am now in shopping mode and looking for a slightly used 2018 or 2019 FLTRXS that I can begin to make my own. Fortunately for me I owned my Shark outright so I didnt lose anything on the wreck and I can take all my upgrades and put them directly into the next bike I get! All in all I am happy with that. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to lend me your advice as I definitely used it, just happened that the frame wasnt straight in this instance and I couldnt fix the bike this time around. Good news is, I will be getting another one soon enough!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts