Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Page, Az. after doing Zion and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon today. I'm gonna turn for home in Kentucky probably tomorrow but was wondering..if you guys had the choice which would you do, the south rim(been there twice although it was 30 years ago) and cruise through Sedona or head home through Monument Valley? I guess I was in the east end of Monument Valley earlier this weekend when I went to the Four Corners.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
860 Posts
Did you do Bryce Canyon? If not, I'd suggest you go see Bryce and then head east on 12 (very Scenic Byway). And then continue on 24 to Hanksville. From there either continue on 24 or take 95 down through Glenn Canyon to Blanding.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dust storms

Up early, couldnt sleep..still on east coast time,4:30 ugh. Thinking of just heading across Monument Valley. They had some bad dust storms around Phoenix anyone down that way know the forecast? They said last night they may be moving north a bit and I don't want to get in one of those if I can help it....the one yesterday looked scary

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Do the south rim then Sedona then Jerome. Then take the back way through Payson to Globe then to Tucson and then over to Tombstone, that is a real nice ride I did it this year and Tombstone is a cool place to visit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you do Bryce Canyon? If not, I'd suggest you go see Bryce and then head east on 12 (very Scenic Byway). And then continue on 24 to Hanksville. From there either continue on 24 or take 95 down through Glenn Canyon to Blanding.
Yes Ozoneman I did Bryce, 12-24, Arches, Canyonlands on the loop around from the Million Dollar Highway and Durango. You're right cool ride, some very tasty riding.

Do the south rim then Sedona then Jerome. Then take the back way through Payson to Globe then to Tucson and then over to Tombstone, that is a real nice ride I did it this year and Tombstone is a cool place to visit.
Thanks Mark but this heat is kicking my ass. I think I'll save Tucson and Tombstone for a later time....like the fall or spring. Hopefully next year I can make Laughlin and do it then.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Quicksand, as to the dust storms or haboobs, they are a desert floor phenomenon. No worries at elevation. If you go down thru Sedona, be prepared for traffic. 89A down Oak Creek Canyon is nice, continue on to Cottonwood and Jerome and over Mingus Mountain and on down Yarnell Hill. It will get hot by the time you get to Wickenburg.

Or you could head east from Flagstaff and take a run down 191 (aka Devil's Highway or Coronado Trail). Twisty is an understatement.

Do wear sunscreen.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Yes Ozoneman I did Bryce, 12-24, Arches, Canyonlands on the loop around from the Million Dollar Highway and Durango. You're right cool ride, some very tasty riding.

My wife and I are planning to do that ride, either this year, Sept time frame, or next year. All depends if we get to do the Trip to Calgary Canada this sept with friends or not. We both ride our own.

Our friends are originally from Calgary, so if we can go with them, it would be nice to have them show us the area, and Banif and such up there. If not, Utah as originally planned. Hope its not so hot in Sept.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My wife and I are planning to do that ride, either this year, Sept time frame, or next year. All depends if we get to do the Trip to Calgary Canada this sept with friends or not. We both ride our own.

Our friends are originally from Calgary, so if we can go with them, it would be nice to have them show us the area, and Banif and such up there. If not, Utah as originally planned. Hope its not so hot in Sept.
++1 on not so hot. If I did it again it'd be in spring or fall and I will DEFINATELY be back to ride the Million Dollar Highway again..it was so nice I rode it twice LOL. They ought to charge you to ride the section from Silverton to Ouray, it's that good!! I can't imagine any better riding anywhere. The great thing too about the roads out west the speed limits are high enough you can really 'ride'!

Two places that really blew me away that you don't hear a lot about are San Miquel Canyon in Colorado and Zion National Park. San Miquel felt almost like you were riding through the Grand Canyon,only me and a few sport bikes blasting through there. Zion with its 1 1/4 mile tunnel is a trip..loved it!

We just rode through Monument Valley today on our way to Williams Az. from Moab Ut. One word AMAZING!
Well changed my mind at the last minute and did the South Rim and Sedona. I figured if I did Monument Valley I'd end up over in Colorado where I'd just come from and the fires in Co. are to bad right now to try and navigate. Had a good day rode in eveything from 75 to 110 degree tempts and even a little rain. After I left Sedona I continued south a little then came back around to Winslow through the woods on 260 & 87...some very tasty roads!!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Youre gonna be coming home to it now. 103 record high in Lville today and will be the same everyday thru next Wed!

Enjoy your trip. See ya in a couple weeks.
Looking at the weather looks like I'm gonna have about another 1500 miles of it :(

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,122 Posts
Another vote for Sedona. Fantastic; also through Jerome (twisty roads). Did it at Laughlin Bike Week. It will not disappoint you at all. Just do it. 89A, I think, is the highway. Terrific riding.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts