Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question on fuel mileage. I have a 2011 FLTRX with the 103”, vented lowers, tour pac and about 3500 miles on the clock. At 1000 miles I added a full Rush exhaust (2” baffles) and this last weekend at 3200 miles I added the SE ventilator and Thundermax tuner.
I have a couple of questions regarding fuel mileage.
My first question is how do I improve my mileage? Since new my mileage has ranged between 34.5 to 38.5 and I do not ride hard but I always get in the same mileage range, which is always way less than most people on this form get even with modified bikes. And yes mileage does matter to me and it’s one of the reasons I bought the new bike, I like to take long rides and I need to get better than 35 mpg. I have only one tank with the Thundermax and it came in at 35.4 mpg.
My second question is regarding the distance remaining gauge. I own a car wash in the next town over 14.8 miles to be exact however; the distance remaining will drop over 12 miles within the first 4 miles ridden and by the time I get to the car wash the distance remaining will usually drop 27 miles. This is driving me crazy since it’s not all up hill and like I said before I do not ride real hard. On the return trip usually 3 hours later the distance remaining will usually drop only 15-16 miles. I was thinking that maybe the bike being cold when I start could be part of the problem but the outside temp has been well over 100 for the past few weeks.
More info:
I live ½ mile in on a rock road so the first and last ½ mile is always slow speed.
I had always fueled up at the same Conoco station, just changed to a Shell station two tanks ago.
Any advice on how to get my mileage up? What RPM range should get the best mileage? If I need to change my riding style I will.

Thanks and have a great ride.
Black Sheep

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Several things could be causing your problem, one of which, taht many people forget is the speedo/odo calibration. Have you checked the miles recorded vs mile markers or better yet by GPS?? I temporarily hung my GPS on the bike, showed I was off by 5% across the board.
My TTS tuner allowed me to change the speedo calibration, not sure if the Thundermax does or not.
Unfortunately I know nothing about the thundermax, but there has to be a way to lean down the mixture in the highway cruise ranges, that's where most of your mileage will be gained.

My last 3 bikes have all been similarly tuned, and all got in the 38-42mpg range depending on how I rode them. 35mpg would upset me too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
speedo cal

When I received the tuner from Frank @ Dragos I saw that he had put a speedo calibration in the preload. Didn’t seem to make a difference on the first tank anyway. Once I fill the bike it always starts out with only 206 miles on the distance remaining gauge, I see most people get around 250 miles shown. Once while on a trip with a hot bike it went up to 225 miles remaining but, I still only logged 38.5 mpg on that tank.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have put a lot of miles on my '09 and it has been in different stages of mods and have only gotten 36-42 mpg since new. It does not seem to make much difference if I am riding 2-up or not.

Maybe some people "calculate" the mpg in a more conservative way. Just like some people always get a much better deal on the purchase price than anybody else can find.:rolleyes: Seems like some small detail is left out of the calculations in the end.

·
Registered
941 Posts

I usually range between 36/38 around town and 40/42 on the highway. I have done as well as 50 on the highway when I was part of a pack ride and was sitting about 3 ranks back from the front. I guess I was picking up a good draft. Usually I'm up in the front and don't get that extra help.

I calculate my milage when I fill up. Miles driven (odometer) divided by gallons purchased (fuel pump) gives me my mpg. Reset the odometer every time. I do like the fact my 2012 has 2 trip meters. I can keep reciepts and do an overall milage if I'm so inclined. I haven't done that yet though. Too lazy I guess. :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have a question on fuel mileage. I have a 2011 FLTRX with the 103”, vented lowers, tour pac and about 3500 miles on the clock. At 1000 miles I added a full Rush exhaust (2” baffles) and this last weekend at 3200 miles I added the SE ventilator and Thundermax tuner.
I have a couple of questions regarding fuel mileage.
My first question is how do I improve my mileage? Since new my mileage has ranged between 34.5 to 38.5 and I do not ride hard but I always get in the same mileage range, which is always way less than most people on this form get even with modified bikes. And yes mileage does matter to me and it’s one of the reasons I bought the new bike, I like to take long rides and I need to get better than 35 mpg. I have only one tank with the Thundermax and it came in at 35.4 mpg.
My second question is regarding the distance remaining gauge. I own a car wash in the next town over 14.8 miles to be exact however; the distance remaining will drop over 12 miles within the first 4 miles ridden and by the time I get to the car wash the distance remaining will usually drop 27 miles. This is driving me crazy since it’s not all up hill and like I said before I do not ride real hard. On the return trip usually 3 hours later the distance remaining will usually drop only 15-16 miles. I was thinking that maybe the bike being cold when I start could be part of the problem but the outside temp has been well over 100 for the past few weeks.
More info:
I live ½ mile in on a rock road so the first and last ½ mile is always slow speed.
I had always fueled up at the same Conoco station, just changed to a Shell station two tanks ago.
Any advice on how to get my mileage up? What RPM range should get the best mileage? If I need to change my riding style I will.

Thanks and have a great ride.
Black Sheep
First make sure you fill the tank to the same level each time. Then calulate your mileage with the odem. miles and gal. bought. Most importantly have your bike tuned. Can maps are just a starting point, not a final tune.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If your T-Max has not had the a/f ratio altered from where Zipper's sets them stock, your are running about 13.7 a/f at the throttle range normally used to cruise. Your mileage is average for that a/f setting. Leaning the fuel to a range of 14.2 will usually gain about 3 mpg. The T-Max can be adjusted in the a/f ratio pages and will learn those changes with some riding time. Like Frankie said, no auto tune module will give you a perfect tune, (only a GOOD dyno operator can do that) but the T-Max does a good job.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
One thing not mentioned is the location and terrain where you ride. If you are in Colorado or some similar altitude you will not get great mileage.

·
Registered
301 Posts
One thing not mentioned is the location and terrain where you ride. If you are in Colorado or some similar altitude you will not get great mileage.
Yep, the only time I got noticably better mileage was at higher altitudes. Seems to make a big difference.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I am in Colorado and get respectable mileage. Average 47mpg (city and highway) running 14.1 on my AFR. Having a tuner where you can adjust AFR is a big plus. Before I added the AT I was averaging 42 mpg at best.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always check the mileage (trip mileage divided by gallons purchased) when I fill up and reset the A trip meter, I always try to put the same amount in but it’s still a guess as to how much you get in the tank. I live in Missouri so we have hills but no mountains, heat and a lot of humidity.
The main reason I purchased the Thundermax was that it does not require a dyno run being it learns and adjusts as you ride. I put a tuner on my last bike a (2005 bat wing) and had it the dyno done the day before I left on a 4,200 mile trip (I know stupid on my part). I started out getting 25mpg and ended up pulling the unit on the side of the road. A second dyno got me 32 mpg and a third dyno got it to 35 so as you can guess I do not have a decent tuner here. I have not had time to really explore the Thundermax's capabilities yet.
Unfortunately due to my job I only get to ride about 3 days a week and those 3 days will each have a 30 mile round trip to my car wash. That will include 1 slow mile rock road, 8 miles @ 60 and 21 miles @ 70, I know that this type of riding will not get me the best results however; my last bike was a fire breather and it got the same mileage.
I plan on taking the wife on a trip to Florida in a couple months and really need to get this issue figured out before I leave.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
OP, maybe you don't ride hard, but how fast do you ride, and in what gear? I can get better mileage riding at 60mph in 5th than in 6th, once I go over 75, it doesn't matter anymore.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Subscribed...my screen name says what I ride she gets 38 at best. I've got v&h big radius pipes a stage one and a power commander tuner being this is my first harley and everything was done when I got it I know nothing about it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dyno tune will help. I get 40 with a 113 and twisting it through hill country in TX. If I just ride normal 43 is the best I can get. FLTRU loaded with my 300 lbs.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Black Sheep,
Did you install the T-Max yourself or did someone else do the work? Either way you should have the disc to load the T-Max program on your lap top. That program has provisions to adjust your a/f ratios and help you get better mileage at cruising speed. PM me if you want a better explanation of how to make the adjustments. I have installed and tuned the T-Max units for a couple years and will try to help if possible.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did the install myself but, have not had the time to play with it yet. Hopefully I will have some time to check it out this weekend.

To answer another question I try to keep my rpm between 2500 and 3000, I tend to ride about 5 over unless i'm in town so my normal riding speed is 60 and 70. I could drop the rpm lower now that I have the Thundermax just don't know if I should. Lower rpm in a higher gear should mean better mileage as long as the engine is not luging. Right?

Tried to put in a couple pictures of the bike for the first time.

Have a great ride,
Black Sheep

Attachments

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Beautiful bike. Another thing thar can impact your mileage is the ethanol content. In some states, premium octane can contain up to 10%. If your state allows corn in 93 octane, try to find a "pure" station and try a tank full.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
What does this have to do with organize rides

1 - 18 of 18 Posts