Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll also take input from yanks who know what I'm looking for.

I've decided to add a few more days to my SWIV schedule. After SW, I'm interested in riding north to New Brunswick (maybe Nova Scotia), then west across lower Canada to the Ambassador Bridge back in to the States and head south back home through Ohio. I'm wide open to suggestions for routes, places to see, stay, etc.

Anyone, eh?

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
Here's what I would do.

Leave Gorham, NH, head for Fredricton, NB from there to Saint John NB, (reversing falls). Take ferry across to Digby, Nova Scotia, ride route 8 to Liverpool, N.S. then go left to Lunenburg, NS (scenic village, beuatiful place), carry on to Peggy's Cove,(lighthouse, tourist attraction) then on to Halifax, NS to the Lower Deck bar and restaurant on the water front in Halifax (www.lowerdeck.ca)

From Halifax I would go up to and around the Cabot Trail, counterclockwise. This puts you on the "cliff lane" but you will love it.

Coming off the Cabot Trail head west toward New Glasgow, Truro and Amhearst NS and to the Confederation Bridge (conferderationbridge.com). If it open (wind closes it) take that over to PEI and visit the 'Anne of Green Gables" tourist attraction then back over the bridge and continue west back through NS and NB to Quebec. On your way past Amherst and Sackville, in N.B check out the tides on the Bay of Fundy, that is really cool.

It is a long way around the Gaspe Peninsula, beautiful but a long way around. I would cut across N.B. to Campellton then into Quebec and down the south shore of the St. Lawrence to Quebec City. Stop in and see the old world charm of old Quebec City, visit the Chateau Frontenac and wander the cobblestone streets. Great food, wine and jazz in Quebec City. From there i would continue down the south shore then head south to skirt Montreal and head back to the US in upstate N.Y.

then I would go to Lake Placid and across the the bottom of Lake Ontario to Buffalo and see Niagra Falls, N.Y and cross back into Canada to see it from that side. You can continue along the north shore of Lake Erie and follow it down to Windsor and take the Ambassador Bridge into Detroit. From there you can follow I-75 south and superslab your way back to Texas.

It would take me at least a week to do this trip from Gorham up through NB, P.E.I, NS, QC and then back to New York State. I've only touched on a few of the highlights, there are many more things to see and do in the Canadian Maritimes but those are the ones I would hit for sure.

Also surf the internet for Lobster Suppers in P.E.I. and New Brunswick before you go. When I was a kid the local service clubs would put these on all summer long. You sat down at long tables in local halls or churches and ate lobster with tourists from all over the world.

Have fun and take pictures and video. I know you will enjoy the trip.

Troy aka Calgaryglide

·
Registered
74 Posts
im not sure im self employed and could make time but i usually just fly by the seat of my pants and do it last minute...this isnt rob is it ???

·
Registered
654 Posts
You can take the Ferry from St. John NB to Digby NS for a scenic short cut to NS. The Cabot trail is on the North East end of Nova Scotia is a must see. After a day on the Cabot trail you can finish your day with a stay in the inn at the Glen Breton Distillery. Pick up a 150 proof souvineir before taking highway 1 through the West part of New Brunswick. Highway 20 through Quebec is flat, straight and boring, and QC coppers just love bikers with loud muffs, if you know what it mean. May be put your stock muffs on for Quebec, or avoid it. Definatly head South to Lake Placid. Your could cross at the Ambasador bridge or go through the Vermont/New York border on your way to Lake Placid.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! Appreciate the replies both here and in PM. So many options, but some consistent recommendations. I'll sort it out during SWIV and anyone wanting to ride along is welcome.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,887 Posts
Wow! Appreciate the replies both here and in PM. So many options, but some consistent recommendations. I'll sort it out during SWIV and anyone wanting to ride along is welcome.
I wish I could but I'm headed to the "White Mountains Boogie and Blues Festival" immediately from SW. I've done some riding in NB but want to do the Cabot Trail and get to PEI at some future point.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Being from New Brunswick, I’m embarrassed to say we have the worst road on the planet. NB has great scenery, great towns and great people, but the roads….. They just plain suck. Most every secondary road is in rough shape, bumpy, pot holes, and ruts. The main 4 lane from the Houlton border is very good, as is the highway from Calais to Saint John. Both offer great scenery, the Calais Rt is on the coast and you can see the highest tides in the world this way. The Houlton Rt follows the river valley and is very nice. Agreed with all if you have the time the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia is a must do ride. The trail itself is a 300 mile loop that takes an entire day to do, longer if you like to stop a lot and take in the view. PEI is another great destination, from Nova Scotia (Cabot Trail) you can cross on the Wood Island Ferry to PEI and take any road you want, they are all in great shape for a bike tour. Let me know if you need any other options.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Calgary glide (Troy) is right on the mark. All of it good. Personally, if you take time for PEI, I would catch the ferry over to the island from Caribou NS to Wood Islands PEI. Go through Pictou NS to get the Ferry. No charge to get on the Island but you have to pay to get off the Island and the bridge is cheaper than the ferry. Then when on the Island take time to ride to the most north west point of the island.

Through Ontario bypass the 401 highway as much as possible. Through Toronto ANYTIME is bad for traffic. Hwy 7 is north of 401 ties into lots of options to avoid the big city traffic heading west.

We can talk over a soda ;) at Sharkweek.
Ride safe!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to be prepared for whatever I decide to do.

How's the weather up there this time of year? I always bring rain gear, but wasn't planning on a coat.

Are there places to camp?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
your leathers will suit you fine. Weather not much different than Maine/Vermont actually. As for camping we have Provincial Campgrounds and some KOA's even a few private independent/private ones here and there. I'm sure you'll love it.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I want to be prepared for whatever I decide to do.

How's the weather up there this time of year? I always bring rain gear, but wasn't planning on a coat.

Are there places to camp?
August is usually our hottest month. But with all the crazy weather we get a bit of everything. Rain gear is a must. No jacket is doable as long as you don't plan riding nights. But it can drop down to 10 or 15 Celsius (50F-60F) after sunset - so your call for the jacket. I'm sure you will have a good ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts