Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. Planning a suspension upgrade for my 07 Glide. Its had quite a few modifications to it, but I'm not sure if the suspension has been changed from stock. As the title says, I'm needing help figuring out what I have to help determine where I need to be.

The rear shocks look to me to be stock air shocks that measure 12" center of bolt to center of bolt. Are these stock ride height? Rear wheel is 18" PM. I like the height, but hate the ride. Am looking to upgrade to Ohlins out back., But not sure which ones to order.

Up front, the bike came with a 21" PM wheel. I'd like to be 1" lower than I am now, but not sure how to determine if the front has been lowered already or not. Considering Ohlins FKC-100s but don't know if they offer a lowering option. May need to go with PS Monotubes to get where I want to be???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
an 07 fltr would have come with 13'' air shocks. if yours are measuring 12'', then the po probably switched them out. your shocks should be the same stock shocks on the 2008 down touring models. (- road king customs which had 12'' shocks).

you have a lot of options for upgrading, however, one upgrade not recommended is the hand adjustable shocks. because they are only adjustable on one shock, there is more force exerted on one side of the swingarm and your bike has the less beefy swingarm. some folks have done it with no apparent ill effects, but it isn't recommended.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, and I measured c to c with the bike on the kickstand and no load. Not sure how I should be measuring.

·
Registered
365 Posts
No I believe he was talking about Harley Premium shocks. I would do yourself a favor and look into Legends. See if they are coming to a dealer near you for test drives.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
yes, I was referring to the Harley hand adjustable shocks. when upgrading suspension, not everyone makes the leap from stock to ohlins in one fell swoop. there are a good many people who are quite happy with a moderate upgrade from stock.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I appreciate the input, and understand not everyone makes the big leap, but I have the money from the sale of my previous bike and I really only want to do this once. After reading quite a bit on the subject, it seems Ohline's are the best, and I'm a big fan of spending a bit more once for quality without having to deal with regrets down the road for cheaping out and having to pay again to get where I want to be. The bike came with quite a few nice modifications, but a smooth precise ride wasn't one of them. I knew that when I bought it, and planned to deal with it. Hence this thread.

Anyways, back to the question at hand. How do I measure to determine the height of what I have, front and rear? The rear seems a bit lower already, but I need to know how much. I'm pretty sure the front has been apart by PO because the fork legs are chrome. The top of the fender sits slightly above the cow bells now.

I'm having an indie do the work, and would like be able to order ahead and have parts on hand prior to dropping the bike off.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I did a google images search for 2007 roadglide. of the results that came back, those that showed 'stock-ish' bikes all appeared to have the same amount of distance on the front cowbells relative to the fender.

so it appears that your front suspension is at least stock sized.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking so too. Hard to tell for sure without pulling it apart I guess. Not wanting to pay to do that twice. I did measure the vertical distance from the floor to the bottom of the frame, front and rear. Slopes 3/4" from front to rear, and that's only across @ 20" distance.

I'm thinking of just going with stock ride height #3-#3s in the rear, with a 1" drop in the front to compensate for the 21" wheel. Should get me on an even keel again at near stock height, with some adjustment available in the rear.

Does that sound sensible?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts