Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Memphis shades 6.5, you will thank me later.
How tall are you and what seat you're using?
You sound like Monk LoL!
Long rider shields? I think that is the name from sparks Nevada. Made in America, give them a call.
thx Bro.
I have a 2022 RG 107 and have a Mustang Supertour Deluxe seat. The seat lifts the rider an inch or so, similar to the Road Sofa. Based on recommendations here, I went with a Freedom Shied 15" Sport Tour (6' / 34" inseam), and while I'm not crazy about the aesthetics, it functions really well. From 0 - 90, no turbulence.
Thx Bro. I'll check that out. I hear good things about Freedom both looks & quality.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Northern NJ...... like up in Newton or Sussex?

Just to share: I had a great Memphis Shades 6.5 on my bike. Loved it. Not a bit of buffeting for me. My "honey" said she was getting bobble head. Went with the Memphis Shades 8.5 and problem solved. YMMV.
Point being, what works solo may be different than for 2-up. Choose well or you'll be back here with more questions. :)

Look closely at how different vendors measure. My Memphis Shades 8.5 is equivalent to a Freedom Shields 12".

Different brands will also sit differently along the fairing. Some more straight up.

Best wishes.

NCP. I'm in Norther NJ and yes I take my Honey out every few weeks. The stock HD was not bad until I replaced the seat when replaced w a Sad Road Sofa. A few inches completely changed the wind.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just signed up here. Bought a 2022 Road Glide Special and love it.
I upgraded my seat to a Saddelmen Road Sofa and now the buffeting is too much due to the height increase I guess. I love the look and feel of this seat. I'm 5'8 and would appreciate any help in choosing the best windshield for my issue. Price is not a problem since I don't think they are more than a few hundred. I just want to enjoy the ride. Thanks in advance!!!
I have this available in parts for sale section…

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
Northern NJ...... like up in Newton or Sussex?

Just to share: I had a great Memphis Shades 6.5 on my bike. Loved it. Not a bit of buffeting for me. My "honey" said she was getting bobble head. Went with the Memphis Shades 8.5 and problem solved. YMMV.
Point being, what works solo may be different than for 2-up. Choose well or you'll be back here with more questions. :)

Look closely at how different vendors measure. My Memphis Shades 8.5 is equivalent to a Freedom Shields 12".

Different brands will also sit differently along the fairing. Some more straight up.

Best wishes.
I love this response. I have a Memphis 6.5 that has served me well and it’s what I normally recommend. My Wife uses a Madstad on a pre Rushmore and it works for her. We both ride with Solo Corbin seats. She’s 6’1 and would likely get beat to death as a passenger on my bike with the Memphis 6.5. I try to ask for feedback from those that ride with passengers when recommending a shield. What’s good for the rider won’t always work for a passenger, especially one who isn’t on the shorter side.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
I have a Freedom Shield. Got it to replace the Long Ride Shield when I went to the CVO Limited seat cause Its higher then the seat I was running. The LRS has a better recurve, but the Freedom is MUCH higher quality and works very well. Not long after I got the Freedom Shield it got damaged. What I thought was a bug splatter ended up being REAL damage to the shield. Not really sure what happened, anyway I contacted Freedom and they replaced the shield under warranty. Classy move.

I'm 5'9 and my wife is 5'7. The current Freedom is 14", the one it replaced was 15"...it was just a little to tall.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I upgraded my seat to a Saddelmen Road Sofa and now the buffeting is too much due to the height increase I guess. I love the look and feel of this seat. I'm 5'8 and would appreciate any help in choosing the best windshield for my issue. Price is not a problem since I don't think they are more than a few hundred. I just want to enjoy the ride. Thanks in advance!!!
I’ve tried four different windshields in addition to the stock one. I settled on a Freedom Shields 12” Touring profile (after having an 11” FS Touring) and it is a keeper. Good luck

·
Registered
572 Posts
Go to the Freedom Shields web site and follow their directions. I am about your same height and have had a 11" Freedom Touring shield on all of the three Road Glides that I have owned, and it is perfect for me with a Corbin Dual Tour seat. Your seat may set you higher or lower, so best to measure according to their directions, but 11" will be close.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have a Freedom Shield. Got it to replace the Long Ride Shield when I went to the CVO Limited seat cause Its higher then the seat I was running. The LRS has a better recurve, but the Freedom is MUCH higher quality and works very well. Not long after I got the Freedom Shield it got damaged. What I thought was a bug splatter ended up being REAL damage to the shield. Not really sure what happened, anyway I contacted Freedom and they replaced the shield under warranty. Classy move.

I'm 5'9 and my wife is 5'7. The current Freedom is 14", the one it replaced was 15"...it was just a little to tall.
Thanks Bro.
I ordered the Freedom Sport 11". I hope it'll be tall enough for me. Won't know for 2 weeks and if not will send back to John for a 12 or 13. I'm 5'8 but sit taller on my Road Sofa. BTW I received the Extended Reach and it's much better on my back. Awaiting new bars to raise hands 2" too. Thhx again for replying.
Billder

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Go to the Freedom Shields web site and follow their directions. I am about your same height and have had a 11" Freedom Touring shield on all of the three Road Glides that I have owned, and it is perfect for me with a Corbin Dual Tour seat. Your seat may set you higher or lower, so best to measure according to their directions, but 11" will be close.
Thanks Brother.
just saw your reply now.
Actually I ordeeed the Freedom 11" yesterday
LoL!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts