Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started tearing down the front end of my wrecked 08 RG and hit a major snag. I know next to nothing but I have a service manual, u tube, this awesome forum, and I regularly stay at Holiday Inn Express. I'm hoping all of you gurus can give me some advise. I had a direct front impact that drove my fender back into the frame. Trashed the fender and rim, and appears to have tweaked the fork tubes and maybe the triple tree. I think the frame is okay but is has a small dent in the cross brace between the down tubes from the fender pushing the brake cable into it. I've taken out the pinch bolts and the top bolts but the tubes are tight as can be in the lower tree. I've driven them down from the top about 3/4" with brute force. They are just clear of the top tree bracket but still really tight. I've also tried to pry open the slot where the pinch bolt goes with a screw driver. I'm out of ideas except to continue to pound the hell out of it but I don't want to damage anything else. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. THX

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
If you think the trees are bent, I would just separate the upper triple tree. Loosen and remove the caps for the forks, loosen pinch bolts, loosen steering neck stem, and try to pull the whole fork assembly down if you can. I've gotta set of triple trees off of my 2013 Fltrx if you need a set. 2200 miles on them.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Chances are the top tree is good and the front fork tube are deformed and hanging up in the lower tree.
Pull the speedometer/tach bezel and then take off the lower tree stem nut and both fork tube and the lower tree will come out as a unit.
once the lower tree is out you can take a right angle grinder with a cutting wheel and cut the tubes above and below the lower tree and then remove the remaining tube that is still in the tree.
If the lower tree is tweaked then forget about getting the old tubes out and just put in a new lower tree.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I presume you've stripped them down to individual legs... If not, remove the axle at least.

If they are so badly bent that an individual tube can't slide out the bottom tree, I'd be replacing the lower tree without hesitation and I would also take the frame to a frame shop to check the neck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. I pulled the lowers and top tree and I'm going to pull the monotubes to see if they are okay. The Ness lowers look fine. Going to trash the tree and tubes and get a raked tree and go 23" on the front since I need a new rim anyway. Will also check out the frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts