Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as it says I'm doing my legs black and put in monotubes. The bolt in the lower snapped. I don't know if the torque wrench failed or what but see below.

So my question is how can I fix this. Is that threaded into the lower or welde in. Basically can I get it out and how? Or do I need to buy a new fuxkin lower. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
They are screw in studs part # 45998-73. If you don't have a stud extractor you may be able to thread the upper portion of the stud some more and put 2 nuts back to back and remove it that way.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are screw in studs part # 45998-73. If you don't have a stud extractor you may be able to thread the upper portion of the stud some more and put 2 nuts back to back and remove it that way.
Oh man. Thanks for that answer. I have easy outs I will try the nuts first. Hanks so much for the reply. I was fuming mad.

·
Registered
743 Posts
What he said! Torque on that is only 150 INCH pounds. You'd have to muscle the hell outta that to break it!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
+1 on double nutting it, and back it out. Also, go to a fastener store, and get a couple of what are known as jam nuts. They're about half the thickness of a regular nut, and won't require as many threads as full size nuts.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Question. Is there an easy way to do this without the fork oil coming out or should I just move fast once I get it out.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Really???? Well there's my freakin problem. I must have read the wrong specs. I guess the torque wrench didn't fail it was my dumb ass.
Now that we all know, how does that quote go? We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you....... Man have I been there! 😜

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that we all know, how does that quote go? We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you....... Man have I been there! 😜
Ha. I feel like such an idiot. 10 minutes from successfully completing monotube and front end installation and I magilla gorilla the freakin bolt. Live and learn I guess. :mad:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Question. Is there an easy way to do this without the fork oil coming out or should I just move fast once I get it out.
I don't think the fork oil will drain out when you take that stud out. Only if you remove the drain bolt plug, or the allen bolt at the bottom.

You should be good to go. If you remove that stud and all your fork oil drains out, then I was wrong. Let me know. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
A good friend of mine always tells me this quote, "Experience is the thing you gain, right after you needed it". I seem to live that quote on a regular basis.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think the fork oil will drain out when you take that stud out. Only if you remove the drain bolt plug, or the allen bolt at the bottom.

You should be good to go. If you remove that stud and all your fork oil drains out, then I was wrong. Let me know. :D
Ha. I'll let you know tomorrow. I hope your right. :D
A good friend of mine always tells me this quote, "Experience is the thing you gain, right after you needed it". I seem to live that quote on a regular basis.
Love that quote and damn appropriate right now. Lol

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nothing to add except that this is why I love this forum. Awesome help and harassment at the same......good luck Laxinharley.....

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Just remember Inch pounds NOT foot pounds and use some blue loctite on both sides of the stud.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts