Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:

2012 Laughlin River Run had installed a Arc audio 125.2 amp with Focal speakers in fairing. Sounds great

May 2013 I installed WO 515 bars and on a 500 + ride to Yosemite I lost the right speaker after 150 miles so turned off the radio. The next day I turned radio back on and both speakers worked.

July 2013 Ride to Shark Week. After about 150 miles, lost left speaker. turned off radio. Several hours later turned on and left speaker still off but now static coming from right speaker. I decide to not play radio for the duration of Shark Week. But still try radio several times.

I did notice that when the bike is not running, meaning that it is in Acc mode or run mode and turn on the radio...Both speakers work perfectly. But the minute I start the bike I get static and lose a speaker.

I did have the dealer install chrome front end before Shark Week. Maybe they disturbed some of the wiring? Maybe the vibration is causing a short?

I'm planning on removing the fairing this weekend to check out all the connections.

Any idea of what or where I should look for possible causes of the static and loss of sound from one speaker ONLY when bike is running?

I also have HID lights installed but this issue started several months after I installed the HID's so I don't think they are causing this issue.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can provide for me to check.

Bill

·
Administrator
12,454 Posts
I wish you would've told us at Shark Week, we could've looked at it.....but definitely remove the fairing and double check all the wiring and connections.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I hope you get that worked out over the wknd. I wonder if its a heat issue as its happen twice after riding for +150 miles.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MJS,

You might be on the right track here....I went to trouble shoot the audio problem today and as expected the radio works great when the bike is OFF. BUT when I started the bike, it worked as expected. I then took it for a short ride to dealership and still worked good. Took it home and still works, SO did not take fairing off as it appears all wiring is good. I'm starting to think it is a HEAT issue. I will keep an eye on it and next time it acts up, I will attempt to remove fairing as I think the light blinks a certain way to alert of issues. I will also call ArcAudio and speak to them about heat concern and if my symptoms are heat related.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts