Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://youtu.be/2fw2W2Bac0U

https://youtu.be/yxk59fW3Esc

So I need some help guys, long story short, some dumb broad turned out in front of me in February and after tens of thousands of dollars, a good stint in the hospital for me, and a few months at Adam Smith Harley for the bike I now have a head shake on decel anywhere between 50 and just below 40. The two YouTube videos are a mild example, it's often worse depending on gear and rate of decel.

The bike has been back to Adam Smith's Texas Harley in Bedford TX more times than I can count since I got it back from the initial repair. New forks new upper and lower triple trees, the lower comes with new bearings, upper does not. New front Dunlop after the wreck, the frame is supposedly not damaged. But the upper bearing, axle, wheel and wheel bearings were not replaced even though the forks were completely folded and the impact was bad enough for the radio to push through the outer fairing. Service dept says "it's a good representation of the brand" that they don't see anything wrong when riding it, and to keep my hands on the bars. They were willing to check swing away said it was in spec, but would snug it up more. The wobble stopped at 40-50, but would weave like it was dodging cones below 20.

After fighting with them for most of the summer, I started throwing parts at it myself. Progressive monotubes up front, 944s in the rear, swapped the dunlops for a new set of metzler 888s. Rechecked everything, had Harley recheck the head adjustment, changed back and forth with stock bars. Everything improved the ride, the wobble got less pronounced, but it's still there and I've had it up to my eyes with Adam Smith. Finally broke down and bought a GoPro, and just dropped the bike off again with video proof of the problem they can't reproduce.

I need ideas. Bike didn't have a problem before the accident, been on a few rentals and demo bikes, and haven't found another Rushmore framed bike with the dreaded Road Glide wobble. What is wrong with my scooter? I'm tired of throwing my hard earned money at the problem and don't want to take the massive loss on a trade in, especially after months on disability recovering. I sure hope y'all can point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Have you checked the fall away yourself ? Don't just take their word for it.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
If its all good see what they will give you for trade in..take your parts off first or as part of the deal...just me..good luck, ride safe that's scary..and please, no need to video a worse example...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big Gary, I've checked it according to the service manual, and it appears to be in spec by the stupid cardboard and marksalot method, but the swing away check on the older bikes is about 2 swings which is higher than the 1.5 I've heard is correct for the pre Rushmores. I can't seem to find any updated specs for the Rushmores and I don't know if they've actually fixed the issue on the new frames or if no ones put enough miles on one to loosen em up and complain yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Master gunner, that's the next step, dropped it off tonight, if they give me the same line of bs or it shakes when I leave the lot, I'm raising some more hell and taking my business elsewhere if they don't make it right. Between the insurance money and what I've thrown at it I could've just bought another bike. The wreck repair was almost $13k and the dealer should have pushed for a total loss, but they swore the frame was fine and that it'd be just like new...

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Master gunner, that's the next step, dropped it off tonight, if they give me the same line of bs or it shakes when I leave the lot, I'm raising some more hell and taking my business elsewhere if they don't make it right. Between the insurance money and what I've thrown at it I could've just bought another bike. The wreck repair was almost $13k and the dealer should have pushed for a total loss, but they swore the frame was fine and that it'd be just like new...
Too late now, that sounds odd though..man 13K? whats the percentage of value for a total these days? Who is your insurance with?

Also Id check the work order when it comes out..it should have the swing away value listed on it..just to make sure they dont just tighten the crap out of it..not that they would..no

Heck, if its as good as new they should give you a good valuation on it..if nothing else just to see what they would say...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got GEICO, but the woman who caused the wreck had State Farm and it takes 75% to get them to total. I was just a hair under.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Big Gary, I've checked it according to the service manual, and it appears to be in spec by the stupid cardboard and marksalot method, but the swing away check on the older bikes is about 2 swings which is higher than the 1.5 I've heard is correct for the pre Rushmores. I can't seem to find any updated specs for the Rushmores and I don't know if they've actually fixed the issue on the new frames or if no ones put enough miles on one to loosen em up and complain yet.
I have mine set to under 1 swing, but it's a pre-Rushmore. I've seen some guys loosen the pinch bolts on the trees before adjusting the neck bearings, then re-tighten after the neck nut is torqued. It's supposed to true everything up better .

If the wobble continues, I'd insist on new races & bearings in the neck. That , or take the hit on the trade in.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
To begin with this isn't what is called the "Dreaded Road Glide Wobble" or "Bagger Wobble" that is a different problem entirely.
Did you check for a bent rim or did the rim get replaced after the accident?
Your problem sound like a classic steering head bearing adjustment issue or a worn tire issue, since you already replaced the front tire that only leaves the steering head bearing adjustment.
Assuming that everything in the front end is in good working order such as tires, rims and wheel bearings, you should just tighten up the steering head bearing a little bit tighter then what is suggested in the service manual. Make sure that any cables or wires that may effect the swing away test is removed from the handlebars, then adjust the steering head bearing to specs then snug it up a little more so there is less swing. I tighten my steering head bearing over HD specs and never had any problems with bearing going bad. If that doesn't take care of the problem I would look into wheel bearings or spin balance the rim and check and see if it runs true and isn't bent in someway.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have mine set to under 1 swing, but it's a pre-Rushmore. I've seen some guys loosen the pinch bolts on the trees before adjusting the neck bearings, then re-tighten after the neck nut is torqued. It's supposed to true everything up better .

If the wobble continues, I'd insist on new races & bearings in the neck. That , or take the hit on the trade in.
This worked well on the '12 RGU I had, rode very well with slightly less than 1 swing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
https://youtu.be/2fw2W2Bac0U

https://youtu.be/yxk59fW3Esc

So I need some help guys, long story short, some dumb broad turned out in front of me in February and after tens of thousands of dollars, a good stint in the hospital for me, and a few months at Adam Smith Harley for the bike I now have a head shake on decel anywhere between 50 and just below 40. The two YouTube videos are a mild example, it's often worse depending on gear and rate of decel.

The bike has been back to Adam Smith's Texas Harley in Bedford TX more times than I can count since I got it back from the initial repair. New forks new upper and lower triple trees, the lower comes with new bearings, upper does not. New front Dunlop after the wreck, the frame is supposedly not damaged. But the upper bearing, axle, wheel and wheel bearings were not replaced even though the forks were completely folded and the impact was bad enough for the radio to push through the outer fairing. Service dept says "it's a good representation of the brand" that they don't see anything wrong when riding it, and to keep my hands on the bars. They were willing to check swing away said it was in spec, but would snug it up more. The wobble stopped at 40-50, but would weave like it was dodging cones below 20.

After fighting with them for most of the summer, I started throwing parts at it myself. Progressive monotubes up front, 944s in the rear, swapped the dunlops for a new set of metzler 888s. Rechecked everything, had Harley recheck the head adjustment, changed back and forth with stock bars. Everything improved the ride, the wobble got less pronounced, but it's still there and I've had it up to my eyes with Adam Smith. Finally broke down and bought a GoPro, and just dropped the bike off again with video proof of the problem they can't reproduce.

I need ideas. Bike didn't have a problem before the accident, been on a few rentals and demo bikes, and haven't found another Rushmore framed bike with the dreaded Road Glide wobble. What is wrong with my scooter? I'm tired of throwing my hard earned money at the problem and don't want to take the massive loss on a trade in, especially after months on disability recovering. I sure hope y'all can point me in the right direction.
I had an identical problem on my 2014 Ultra Limited and (unfortunately) the same dealer, although their Longview location. My wobble was even more pronounced and usually occurred between 50-70 mph. It got much worse while on a 2000-mile trip (to the point of being unsafe) so I had the dealer in Bowling Green, Kentucky take a look. The steering head bearing adjustment was the primary fix to the problem, but we re-balanced the front tire for good measure. All work except the re-balance was done under warranty. It was good as new after the adjustment and I did not have any re-occurrence.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My advice is to keep your hands on the handlebars. There, problem solved, $0
Well when my 75 gold wing doesn't shake, my dad's old Kawi doesn't shake, and the Victory V92 that a family friend died on doesn't shake, I'd expect that a 20 something thousand dollar new Harley shouldn't either. I sure wish I could just live with an obvious problem that makes me not trust the 900 pound missile between my legs. Guess I'm not enough of a hard ass Harley owner. I Should just throw it on the trailer and unload it around the corner from Starbucks like the rest of the cool kids... $0 too lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so quick update, much thanks to Mr Smarty, texted him last night and will be picking his brains in a few days when I get it back. Spoke with the service writer and they're going to pull the head apart and check out the bearings. They have adjusted it a half a dozen times over the last several months. Went tighter than spec last go around and thought it was fixed for a few days, but developed a weave below 20, and loosened back up. At this point the only parts that haven't been replaced are the upper head bearing and race, the wheel and axle. When I said the common wobble I wasn't referring to the high speed rubber mount wobble, but the loose steering head bearing wobble that is extremely common too.

Retiredbutnotdead, any idea where they set the adjustment? Seems the consensus is a little less than one swing. And btw I'm sorry you fell into the Adam Smith trap too, I went to them because I knew one of the sales guys through the grapevine, everyone good that's worked there is gone, and there's a whole new staff weekly at Bedford, there's a systemic problem since Jr took over apparently.

Reactions: Smarty

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sorry, I do not recall the setting and gave the paperwork to the new owner of the bike. I think Adam Smith runs a good ship, they just need to slow down a little when it comes to resolving complex service issues. Not many roads around the Bedford store to test ride at the speeds where you were experiencing the wobble. Good move in working more closely with the service manager. Get it fixed and come out to East Texas for some good roads and BBQ.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Well when my 75 gold wing doesn't shake, my dad's old Kawi doesn't shake, and the Victory V92 that a family friend died on doesn't shake, I'd expect that a 20 something thousand dollar new Harley shouldn't either. I sure wish I could just live with an obvious problem that makes me not trust the 900 pound missile between my legs. Guess I'm not enough of a hard ass Harley owner. I Should just throw it on the trailer and unload it around the corner from Starbucks like the rest of the cool kids... $0 too lol
____
Originally Posted by HellInABucket View Post
____

Well screw that..if it moves like that going straight with no other forces or inputs involved, add in hard braking or cornering or other...recipe for disaster...I wouldnt ride it, but thats just me, not hard core I guess!!! Ive had the wobble, and mine didnt look like that at all...

Im not sure why Geico rules wouldnt apply, I guess they didnt go to bat for you then..I have them also...hmmm...

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
____
Originally Posted by HellInABucket View Post
____

Well screw that..if it moves like that going straight with no other forces or inputs involved, add in hard braking or cornering or other...recipe for disaster...I wouldnt ride it, but thats just me, not hard core I guess!!! Ive had the wobble, and mine didnt look like that at all...

Im not sure why Geico rules wouldnt apply, I guess they didnt go to bat for you then..I have them also...hmmm...
I dont think Harley would ever guarantee or could be held liable for riding characteristics while both hands are off the bars. If you are experiencing instability with both hands on the bars, then you have a case.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts