Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of 12" mini apes from JSR customs for my '18 RGS and I have tried for 6 hours to wire these damn things and I just can’t seem to get it, I thought this was supposed to easier with these can bus models? I watched all the videos and it looks like everyone is pulling them through with the connectors and sheathing in place but I just don’t see how it possible. I can get one wire in with no problem but not both. I have tried pulling one at a time, both at the same time; I have used baby powder and wire lube (not at the same time) to try and make it slippery but still no luck. I have done this once before on my 2011 Street Glide and it was a pain in the ass but those had curved bends not sharp angles like these meat hooks. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I used weed wacker string and just pulled the wires through while a friend was pushing at the same time and used dish soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
i hate to admit it, but after two hours i took mine to the local indy and he charged me an hour and i was so happy i picked up a set of grips from him too! oh ya....easy peezy....right! sorry for your struggle, but i feel your pain...

·
Registered
467 Posts
We use a westinghouse chain taped to the wires. Then lube them with wire pulling gel. Set the bars in a vise and pull the chain and wires in a rocking motion back and forth until you get them through.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried the Westinghouse chain ( it broke) tried weed trimmer string too but I just can’t seem to get bothered wire bundles to make the first turn, I can get one but not both. Have you guys actually had success leaving the connectors and the sheathing in place? I thought about trying to remove the connectors but haven’t figured out how to get these small ones apart.

Thanks for the reply’s!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those who have successfully done this, did you pull the throttle and control wires together st the same time or one at a time?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used clear plastic hose and weed wacker string. Pulled the hose thru first with weed wacker string and removed connectors and pulled them thru. Worked like a dream. I did the same thing later with heated grips past all of the original wiring and it slipped right in. Pictures are from heated grip install

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The plastic tube is an interesting idea but not sure it will help on my bars since they have the meat hooks on top sharp 90 angle bends at the bottom, it looks like yours are curved. I think I will try disassembling the can bus connectors tonight and see if that makes the difference. I consider myself a half decent amateur wrench but man these things have kicked my ass.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I have had good luck with weed wacker cord, lube, push 2" in, pull 2" out. You're not going to pull them through meat hook type bars without potentiality damaging the casings or connectors. Push/pull. I pull the, throttle side separately. I pull an extra piece of weed wacker cord through and pull the second set.

There are probably easier ways, this has worked for me.

Good luck!

·
Registered
474 Posts
LoneCabbage I've done 3 sets so far using the Bad seed cycles bars which have the meat hooks. I didnt need to take any pins out. i used the chain pull from a lamp and i ran it up along side the wires about 8-10 inches then wrapped them very tightly with black electrical tape and i lubed the wires and pulled them thru the bars. I then did the same for the switch wires and when i hit the snag where the meat hooks were. I just pulled back and forth on both sets of wires until it eventually made it thru. The key is to make the width of the cables as narrow as possible, that is why i wrap the black tape tightly around the cables and pull chain. I run the pull chain about 8-10 inches along the wires so that it has a tight connection and wont come loose when yanking on the cables. Once the first set in thru, i use it to pull back and forth to eventually allow the second set to make it thru.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When you tape it all up try and stagger the connectors so it's not one big lump(I'm sure you probably did that but just making sure). The other thing that helps a LOT is having another set of hands. One person can pull on the pull string or chain or whatever and the other feed/push the cable in. That's about all I got. Good luck!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I remove the plugs and use nylon kite string to pull the wires through while pushing at the same time.

I do it sitting down with the bars in my lap so I can brace them against my thigh. Been doing it that way for years.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Those who have successfully done this, did you pull the throttle and control wires together st the same time or one at a time?
I pulled mine at the same time but I staggered them about 2"-3" apart and taped them with weed whip string as a pull. I used dish soap, push pull, push pull, a pain but eventually got it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just want to say thank you to everyone for the tips and moral support, I was finally able to get the wires in and finish the job. I ended up pulling the throttle wire in first with a second pull string attached and then I depinned the molex connectors on control wires, and with the help of a generous amount of wire lube they pulled right in. HALLELUJAH! What a great service this forum provides to fellow riders! I attached a picture of my new bars, they are 12" Bad Attitude's by JSR Customs (a tip I got from this forum). Here is a picture of the new bars and also my RC Slip-on's that I put on at the same time.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts