Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a rear fascia with a light off CL, didn't think there was any difference in the lights. Boy was I wrong! There's alot of variety. Anyhow, mine is PN 5859370 with a wiring harness PN 68828-10. But that wiring connecter doesn't fit anywhere on my 2023 FLTRU. If I put power to the blue wire and ground to the black the light comes on, but no combination of touching electrodes makes it do anything else. But there's 6 or 7 wires so it looks like it's a run/brake at least.

So, do I need a whole different light? Or maybe just a different wiring harness, one that will preferably plug right into the slot in the brake light. I'm not opposed to hacking up the loom to make it work, but I'd rather a plug and play.

Thanks

Dylan

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I couldn't begin to tell you what those part numbers go to but if you bought a light for your year bike then it should be plug n play. At least that's how it was when I added my tire bar light. Mine plugged direct into an empty harness under the left side cover. may be worth checking into at a dealer if no one can come up with a solution for you

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
This is what you have:

I did the same thing on the '11 I had. It's for a custom. Stock harness comes into the light first and then out to the run,brake, license plate light. It is a tail light only. I had to buy a harness that plugs into the input of the light, modify the other end and put a plug on it to plug into the stock tail light on the fender to get it to work.

Another choice is to buy the light that has the 3 wire pigtail coming right out of it that plugs into the stock tail light.

And just where did you get a 2023 ultra:D

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly what i have. I don't care if it's run only, I have a full brake light and eventually plan to upgrade to the custom dynamic LEDs with the triple play. Maybe I'll hack this one into the wiring harness for now and then upgrade it to led at some point.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
You can buy the end of the plug you need at the dealer for a couple of bucks and the pins for it also. Then Just plug it into your existing tail light. I've got a thread on here somewhere from when I did mine

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Bought a rear fascia with a light off CL, didn't think there was any difference in the lights. Boy was I wrong! There's alot of variety. Anyhow, mine is PN 5859370 with a wiring harness PN 68828-10. But that wiring connecter doesn't fit anywhere on my 2023 FLTRU. If I put power to the blue wire and ground to the black the light comes on, but no combination of touching electrodes makes it do anything else. But there's 6 or 7 wires so it looks like it's a run/brake at least.

So, do I need a whole different light? Or maybe just a different wiring harness, one that will preferably plug right into the slot in the brake light. I'm not opposed to hacking up the loom to make it work, but I'd rather a plug and play.

Thanks

Dylan

Well you're going to be waiting a while to get a plug and play harness that connects to your 2023 FLTRU! Lol!

Seriously though, you should be able to get the right connector at the local dealer. Label the wires and take the light with you.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2012 FLTRXSE
332 Posts
If you want run and brake light the correct part# is 68074-07 and the pig tail will plug right into the connector inside your tail light assembly

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. Yeah, my '23 is pretty sweet, seeing as it runs on garbage and all.

I swung by the dealer quickly this afternoon. $140 for the correct light. I might try one of those $30 LED tri-bars on eBay, but I'll go back and get the plug and pins in the meantime.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
I saw that one in a search. Will that plug into the brake light on an ultra?
Yup. Like the one on ebay, look for one with the little 3 position plug. I think the model years were 06-08. This one you can see the plug. It also has an extension on it that you would simply toss out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bikers-Choi...son-/351062535478?hash=item51bcf52d36&vxp=mtr

Do you have a pigtail that came with your light? If so, then I'd go ahead and just put an end on the one you have. Simple enough to find out which wires you need. Take a 9v battery and find the black wire to ground, then start touching other wires to the positive until the light comes on. I'm sure it will be run only though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I already did that and located the two wires I need to make it light up. Although, there are 6 or 7 wires, so it should be more than run only.

Anyhoo, I went ahead and bought the one on eBay. For $30 I'll give it a whirl. I'll sell on the one I have, I'm sure someone will have a need for it.

My eventual goal is to upgrae all the lights to LED, probably Custom Dynamics.

Thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that didn't exactly work out. I got the $30 eBay light. The light works fine, and has blinkers built in. Everything worked when I ran it in the bench. But the connector, the part I was really after, is wrong. I have no idea where it's supposed to plug into. I'm going to have to get the right connector from the dealership, which I could have done in the first place with the light I had.

Oh well..

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Well that didn't exactly work out. I got the $30 eBay light. The light works fine, and has blinkers built in. Everything worked when I ran it in the bench. But the connector, the part I was really after, is wrong. I have no idea where it's supposed to plug into. I'm going to have to get the right connector from the dealership, which I could have done in the first place with the light I had.

Oh well..
Post a pix of that connector for us.

·
Registered
149 Posts
On my 2012 RGU I replaced the rear fender/light with on from a Street Glide that does not have the large brake light. The connector on the fender to the main wiring harness under the seat is different. I replaced the one on the fender harness with one that matched the main harness. I used the wiring diagram to figure out the wiring on the connectors. If you PM me your email I can send you a PDF of the manual that has color coded wiring diagrams, you can get the connector at the dealer. You can change either the connector on the fender wiring harness or the one on the main harness. Come to think about it you may need to change the connector on the rear end of the harness to match the one on the light instead. Again having the wiring diagram will be essential.

If you keep the large tail light/brake light you will have to make a few splices as the bikes with the tribar don't have the large light. Should not be hard to do though.

If you ever end up going to the Custom Dynamics TriBar you will still need to do the splicing for the large light and turn signals.

On my bike I also added Plasma Rods to make up for the large brake light. Next I am going to do the run/brake/turn on the Tour Pak with the Custom Dynamic TruFlex unit, the the LED TriBar. You can never have to much lighting on the back of the bike!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took a closer look while I was taking the picture. It looks like it's the female part of the connection, identical to the socket that's built into the brake light housing. I think the 10 year old kid in China who puts these together reached into the wrong parts bin. The wire is only about a foot long so it's designed to plug into the brake light, not reach up the the side cover area.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
I took a closer look while I was taking the picture. It looks like it's the female part of the connection, identical to the socket that's built into the brake light housing. I think the 10 year old kid in China who puts these together reached into the wrong parts bin. The wire is only about a foot long so it's designed to plug into the brake light, not reach up the the side cover area.

Send the damn thing back as it isn't plug and play.:mad:

I agree on the china comment.:eek:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I could send it back but it'd cost about half of what I paid to ship it. One of the downsides of ebay deals. It's only a couple of bucks for the deutsch connector.

Dharn55, thanks but I'm all set with the wiring. That bit is easy. Everything has been identified and labeled, just need time to get to the dealer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.