Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I need some help with a few questions about the Progressive 940 shocks.
First for the forks that weigh a least 200 pounds and ride two up a lot, do they work, or do they bottom out a lot? They say they work like 13 inch shocks but are 12 inch in size what does that mean? And lastly would spend that kind of money again?:confused:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Okay I need some help with a few questions about the Progressive 940 shocks.
First for the forks that weigh a least 200 pounds and ride two up a lot, do they work, or do they bottom out a lot? They say they work like 13 inch shocks but are 12 inch in size what does that mean? And lastly would spend that kind of money again?:confused:
They won't bottom out. I personally would not do it again.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I am 230 and love mine, I would do it again, just sooner. The bike is way more stable through corners, has rebound damping that I didnt have befroe...i.e. smooth compression and then post bump is wonderful...I kept the springs as delivered/

I used the Direct Harley parts from the board here.., paid, had shcocks in 2 days...Around $450-460 shipped.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am 230 and love mine, I would do it again, just sooner. The bike is way more stable through corners, has rebound damping that I didnt have befroe...i.e. smooth compression and then post bump is wonderful...I kept the springs as .
have agree with this, they were a big improvement to me

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, I can't swing the ohlins but I might be able to get the 940's.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Ohlins are about 550 thru motorcycle metal vs 459 for 940's via usmotoman. Definetly worth $91 to go with the ohlins.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was quoted over a $1000 for the ohlins

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was quoted over a $1000 for the ohlins
If your a HD Forums Member and call Howard at MotorCyle metal he will give you a great discount and build them to your specs.

I went Progressive 940 due to the $ and am very happy with the improvement and would do it again. The entry level Ohlins with the discout will run about $ 100 more than the 940, the better 3 series Ohlins are about 250 more than 940. Ohlins are a better shock if it is worth it to you... Ohlins also require some maintenance with a rebuild every 15 -20 thousand miles from what I read at additional $. Progressive 940 are lifetime warrantied, they will rebuild free if needed.

The 940 are a 13" shock that is designed to sit at 12" so you have a 3.25" travel shock that has 1" of sag designed into it this gives you doward travel of a little over 2" and extension for pot holes etc of a little more than 3"

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I have the Progressive 440 shocks which are basically the same as the 940 except that the 440's keep the bike at the stock height. I scrape my floorboards enough so why lower the bike and take away the handling characteristics but that is JMO. The progressive 940's & 440's shocks come in a standard or heavy duty series so if you are a heavier person or ride 2up alot I would recommend the heavy duty series. Yes I would do it again the shocks are a great improvement over stock.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Well I may be the exception, but, I'm 190 and I love the ride. I like being lower. I like not bottoming out . And I like how smooth they are over hard bumps. So I would buy these again. And I can't wait to put in mono tubes in the front.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have the Progressive 440 shocks which are basically the same as the 940 except that the 440's keep the bike at the stock height. I scrape my floorboards enough so why lower the bike and take away the handling characteristics but that is JMO. The progressive 940's & 440's shocks come in a standard or heavy duty series so if you are a heavier person or ride 2up alot I would recommend the heavy duty series. Yes I would do it again the shocks are a great improvement over stock.
I have had both 440 and 940 and liked the440 better. 940 only come in one variety but you can send them back to have a lighter spring installed. The 940 end up with no sag compared to the 440's so floor boards drag about the same with either. That all said i wish i would have kept the stanard 13" 440's

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone for the response, when I can I'm going to do the 940's I need to lower the bike a little anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
II installed 940's two weeks ago have had a couple of good rides and find them more responsive to turn in and hold the line a lot better than standard air shocks, very happy with them.
Purchased from M&M cycles and delivered to Western Australia for less than $600 :):cool:

·
Registered
781 Posts
M & M are very good people to deal with. Mark treats everyone like there the only customer they have... Great customer service.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
My take on the 940's.
Put them on my 2011 RGU. The only reason I did was to lower it an inch in the rear. I was happy with the ride other wise with stock air shocks.
Bolted the 940' on played with the number of turns a bit both 1 and 2 up.
They lowered the bike the one inch I want so I got what I wanted.
I have not noticed in over 4K of riding one them the magical improvement in ride I read about.
If I had to do it over again I would the 1 inch lower worked well for me.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I installed the 940s about a month ago and seemed to notice an improvement in the ride. The bumps weren't quite as bad. This past Friday I got my bike back from the technician after having the Monotubes installed. Almost all of my riding since getting it back has been two up and I have to say the ride is MUCH better. I think it is having the combination of the two that has made the difference. Some of the harder bumps (road slips from erosion) feel no worse now than when we hit them in our Ford Edge. In fact, it may be smoother.
I am very pleased with this upgrade. Oh, part of the reason for doing this upgrade was do to back surgery last summer.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,063 Posts
I had the monotubes and 940s installed by an HD dealer (due to the fact that my bike was 1200 miles from home). When I rode it home I was cursing the 940s but knew something had to be wrong with the set up. Due to the extremely rainy weather, I hadn't had a chance to dig into the issue before I left for Laconia. By pure luck I happened to find a parking space right in front of the Progessive booth. They told me to wheel it in and they'd make me happy. About 5 minutes later it was 100% better than it was and much better than the OEM airshocks. The ride quality went from "OK" with the factory shocks to, "oh shit I really made a mistake buying these", to pure bliss once adjusted properly.

Those that say they are not any better than the stock shocks probably need to experiment with the settings. I do understand why some folks complain that they're too stiff because I'm a lot closer to 300 lbs than 250, and yet my shocks are set at 4 complete rounds out from dead soft with 8 more rounds possible. So if you're on the light side of average the stock springs might in fact be too stiff for you, but as alwaready has been noted, Progressive will install a lighter weight spring for no charge if you notify them of the issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts