Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search one notable quote I found was to be careful not to buy from eBay or amazon
Because you may get a battery that may have been sitting for too long. Buy from a large dealer that moves
A lot of product

Any advice? I’ve always had good luck with yuasa. Is a AGM one worth the extra money?
I really do try and avoid the local dealer (won’t comment on it) should I just get it from them ?
The factory battery lasted 7 years.

·
Registered
653 Posts
An AGM battery should be better suited for the vibrations it will be subjected to in a motorcycle. The biggest problem with aftermarket batteries versus OEM batteries are the cranking amps. A lot of the time, not all of the time, but a lot of the time an aftermarket battery has less cranking amps than a stock battery. That leads to slower cranking and a shorter life for the battery.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
An AGM battery should be better suited for the vibrations it will be subjected to in a motorcycle. The biggest problem with aftermarket batteries versus OEM batteries are the cranking amps. A lot of the time, not all of the time, but a lot of the time an aftermarket battery has less cranking amps than a stock battery. That leads to slower cranking and a shorter life for the battery.
Is AGM the OEM battery?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The biggest problem with aftermarket batteries versus OEM batteries are the cranking amps. A lot of the time, not all of the time, but a lot of the time an aftermarket battery has less cranking amps than a stock battery. That leads to slower cranking and a shorter life for the battery.
i've been wondering about how the new, higher wattage starters are affected by cranking amps. any thoughts you'd like to share?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I always spend a little extra for batteries on scooters that I tour with. I bend over and buy them from the dealer, so that if it should fail out in some flyover state, I can just call the nearest dealer to deal with it.

My bar hoppers get batteries from Amazon-J&P-DK, depending who has what and at what price at the time. I bought 2 FXR batteries this year, different brands, but the exact same battery each time.

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just replaced mine with a Mega Crank AGM battery from batterymart.com. It has great reviews from other HD owners. The CCA on this battery is 420, vs the 400 on the OEM, and for practically half the price. The bike cranks and starts very well now, the original never cranked and started the bike this fast, even when new.

I can't tell you how long it will last as I just put it in a month ago, but so far so good, knock on wood.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Battery Mart .com has a 12% sale today. Just ordered a Big Crank agm (daca) for my FXR. Same battery has been in my RG for over 2 years . Strong cranking power every time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all,

I like the Duracell AGM made by Deka for Batteries Plus. 2 yr warranty and they keep the paperwork in their system. They have stores all over which works way better than an internet warranty issue. I don't know how they handle warranties as mine is still going strong, almost 3 years. Knock wood right... goldie :grin:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I am trying out a lithium ion in my Softail, 600 CCA and cranks like crazy. It's kinda spendy so time will tell if it's worth the money. I have only had it for 6 months or so, still too early to tell. Also you have to factor in a lithium ion charger/maintainer. 3 year warranty which is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015RJDCCG/?coliid=I1ZB6JRLSLWOS&colid=2V45CEOEK7922&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
If you go the lithium route make sure the battery matches the regulator output 14 volts. Lithiums usually need a high charging voltage to fully charge the battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts