Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't pulled the trigger yet but im getting real itchy. I know that I can get the plug and play kit from V-Twin with hawg wired 2x200 amp and 6.5 speakers for fairing and lowers.

For about the same price I can get 165-KRC speakers & Arc Audio KS 125.2BX2 amp from soundz Customs. I have read raves on both products but don't really know which is best sounding. I guess my question would be for someone that has been doing this a lot longer than me what the best bang for the buck?

I have also been entertaining the though of just ordering the wiring harness for the components and installing rockford fosgate speakers and amp.

Ant advise would be greatly helpful.

Thanks

AV

·
Registered
90 Posts
I haven't pulled the trigger yet but im getting real itchy. I know that I can get the plug and play kit from V-Twin with hawg wired 2x200 amp and 6.5 speakers for fairing and lowers.

For about the same price I can get 165-KRC speakers & Arc Audio KS 125.2BX2 amp from soundz Customs. I have read raves on both products but don't really know which is best sounding. I guess my question would be for someone that has been doing this a lot longer than me what the best bang for the buck?

I have also been entertaining the though of just ordering the wiring harness for the components and installing rockford fosgate speakers and amp.

Thanks

AV

I would go with option 3. You can wire it yourself if you want and skip the overpriced harness.

Reactions: Banshee451

·
Registered
7,509 Posts

Thanks

AV
Updating an early reply on V-Twin Audio: I did not get all the instructions on how to mount a Hawg Wired AMP RS200 using V-Twins mount and wiring kits. I called them on Friday and their voice mail indicated they were at a Show. I sent them a message (not expecting to hear from them until Monday). They contacted me by message and than called me to go over the info on their AMP mounting bracket. They apologized for not including the instruction on placement of the mount. They emailed me the instructions and followed up a couple of times by phone to make sure all was good. Their willingness to work with me during their weekend speaks volumes about their customer service. Everything is installed and boy does it make a difference.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would go with option 3. You can wire it yourself if you want and skip the overpriced harness.
I know I can do the work myself. Knowing how everything hooks up is my problem. That is the only reason I would order the wiring harness from someone that knows. From the Amp to the speakers is a no brainer but from the HU to the Amp would be a mystery. I would not even know the correct connections to order.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know I can do the work myself. Knowing how everything hooks up is my problem. That is the only reason I would order the wiring harness from someone that knows. From the Amp to the speakers is a no brainer but from the HU to the Amp would be a mystery. I would not even know the correct connections to order.
Nothing really goes from the HU to the amp.

Power and ground from battery to amp
Factory speaker outputs to the input side of the amp
Amp speaker outputs to the speakers

You can cut the factory leads and solder them or crimp high quality connectors for easier installation and removal. Or I can give you the Molex connector part numbers same as OEM and order them from Mouser to make it all plug and play. Takes a special crimping tool to crimp the Molex terminals though. I already have one so that wasn't a problem for me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
For instance this RF Amp has inputs for two sets of speakers. The other end has two outputs. I only have one set in the fairing so how does this hook up properly? Does one channel go in and two come out? I am so freaking eager to get started on something and have no idea what is best to get started on.
I like the KRC speakers from Soundz but I think the RF Amp puts out a little more power rather then the Arc Amp. Marrying the two is my dilemma. Guess I just need to do my due-diligence and make it happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
For instance this RF Amp has inputs for two sets of speakers. The other end has two outputs. I only have one set in the fairing so how does this hook up properly? Does one channel go in and two come out? I am so freaking eager to get started on something and have no idea what is best to get started on.
I like the KRC speakers from Soundz but I think the RF Amp puts out a little more power rather then the Arc Amp. Marrying the two is my dilemma. Guess I just need to do my due-diligence and make it happen.

That's a 4 channel amp. If you are only planning fairing speakers and no other future upgrades, then you would only need a 2 channel amp and it would only have one input connector and one output connector. If you were planning additional upgrades down the road and use a 4 channel amp, you only use the front inputs and outputs. The rears would remain vacant until you added more speakers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a 4 channel amp. If you are only planning fairing speakers and no other future upgrades, then you would only need a 2 channel amp and it would only have one input connector and one output connector. If you were planning additional upgrades down the road and use a 4 channel amp, you only use the front inputs and outputs. The rears would remain vacant until you added more speakers.
I will have two sets of speakers. One set in the fairings and one in the lowers. Defiantly will be using a 4 channel Amp.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am not saying V-Twin is not a good company to work with, but! This is what happened to me: I ordered a Hawg Wired RS400 AMP and they told me over the phone their wiring harness was a plug and play. They made the statement that the hardest thing one would need to do is remove the tank to properly route the power and ground wires to the AMP.

I got the package today and this is what I found. V-Twin provided the mounting bracket for the AMP - no info on the procedure on the proper way to mount the AMP - no write up, no pictures, no nothing on how to mount the AMP(they did tell me by phone the mount was made to mount in a space off to the side of the radio - it is a small AMP). The power and grounding cabling has the ends to connect to the battery and the ground, the ends that would connect to the AMP, nothing there, no connectors, no sheet stating what size connectors one would need to get, no nothing on the AMP connectors - just the bare ends of the power and ground cable.

To me this is not a plug and play application if one has to go get parts to finish the install and has to figure out the proper way to use their mounting bracket for the 2015 RGS. Now I have to lug my AMP and cabling to see if I can find someone with the proper equipment to mount the end connectors so I can mount the cables to the AMP. I suggest looking at Hawg Wired wiring harness, their kits looks to be a complete and ready to install.

Sorry for being long on the reply
Wow this surprises me! I just installed there amp/speaker kit& I couldn't have been happier with the fit & finish of the kit! The only gripe I really had was they want you to wrap the x-overs in bubble wrap to keep them from vibrating in the enclosures, I didn't like the way it fit so I wrapped them in some polyfil! I don't no the performance difference between the V-Twin kit & Soundz kit, but I've communicated with Pete @ Soundz & I wouldn't hesitate to run his system! Option 3 would definitely be cheaper if you don't mind doing the work!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I will have two sets of speakers. One set in the fairings and one in the lowers. Defiantly will be using a 4 channel Amp.
Now you're getting over my head. Maybe UN or Gannicus will see this and chime in.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I bought a set of focal 165 AC and a focal fd4.350. I didn't buy from Soundz but I spoke with Peter at length about a few things I didn't understand. He was great with info, even though I didn't buy from him. Honestly, I will buy from him when I'm ready to move further with the system.

Also, under the deck is about the only place to put an amp bigger than the RF. You will also need to go to the dealer and have them flash the deck to make it work optimally with the amp.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
209 Posts
so with the options you've presented, I'll throw in my .02 worth..

Go with option 3 but...

Fairing speakers, Infinity Kappa 62.11i
lower speakers, Infinity Kappa 62.11i

amps, you have a few choices.

• Rockford Fosgate PBR300x2 (2) 1 for fairing 1 for lowers
  • NVX MVPA4 (this is a good little 4 channel amp) and about the size of a pack of smokes. It has been tested to exceed the manufacturer's specs for power.
  • IF AND ONLY IF you don't care about FM reception, Soundstream PN4.520D or Power Acoustik RZ4-2000D. These are Class D amps that will likely interfere with FM reception.

nothing I've found is going to be 100% plug n play except for the overpriced stuff from some of these vendors that deal with motorcycle audio and then the drawback other than the obvious price will be lack of performance. And they're still not 100% plug n play. You'll need to pull your tank (this is very easy to do) and run your 2 battery wires for power and ground straight to the battery.

As for how to get inputs to your amp; the 14/15 models all have speaker wire outputs on the head unit itself and all in the same main harness unless it's an Ultra model at which point the rear speaker outputs are on a separate 4 pin harness to right side of the back of the head unit. Unplug your front speakers and use those wires for the front inputs to the amp. The rear inputs, you will use the following pin #/colors on the main harness on the back of the radio.
Pin H1 - Light Blue/Grey - Left rear -
Pin J1 - Light Blue/Orange - Left rear +
Pin K1 - Light Blue - Right rear +
Pin K2 - Light Blue/Black - Right rear -

after you're done you'll want to have the following done as well by the dealer

1. Have the radio flashed so the fader works
2. Have the radio flashed for 8 speakers with amp1 and amp2 turned OFF

hope that helps

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so with the options you've presented, I'll throw in my .02 worth..

Go with option 3 but...

Fairing speakers, Infinity Kappa 62.11i
lower speakers, Infinity Kappa 62.11i

amps, you have a few choices.

• Rockford Fosgate PBR300x2 (2) 1 for fairing 1 for lowers
  • NVX MVPA4 (this is a good little 4 channel amp) and about the size of a pack of smokes. It has been tested to exceed the manufacturer's specs for power.
  • IF AND ONLY IF you don't care about FM reception, Soundstream PN4.520D or Power Acoustik RZ4-2000D. These are Class D amps that will likely interfere with FM reception.

nothing I've found is going to be 100% plug n play except for the overpriced stuff from some of these vendors that deal with motorcycle audio and then the drawback other than the obvious price will be lack of performance. And they're still not 100% plug n play. You'll need to pull your tank (this is very easy to do) and run your 2 battery wires for power and ground straight to the battery.

As for how to get inputs to your amp; the 14/15 models all have speaker wire outputs on the head unit itself and all in the same main harness unless it's an Ultra model at which point the rear speaker outputs are on a separate 4 pin harness to right side of the back of the head unit. Unplug your front speakers and use those wires for the front inputs to the amp. The rear inputs, you will use the following pin #/colors on the main harness on the back of the radio.
Pin H1 - Light Blue/Grey - Left rear -
Pin J1 - Light Blue/Orange - Left rear +
Pin K1 - Light Blue - Right rear +
Pin K2 - Light Blue/Black - Right rear -

after you're done you'll want to have the following done as well by the dealer

1. Have the radio flashed so the fader works
2. Have the radio flashed for 8 speakers with amp1 and amp2 turned OFF

hope that helps

Wow.... Thanks for the information. Will the infinity Kappas fit in the factory Fairing pods or will I need to get spacers from somewhere? I have noticed that a lot of speaker replacements need spacers for the bigger size. Will 2 of those BPR 300x2 fit under the fairing? Thats the amp I would lean towards. If I am going to use two amps how does the second amp get its input from the factory head unit?

Aaron

·
Registered
209 Posts
No adapters necessary for fairing or lowers.

Both amps will fit fine side by side under head unit

Pin #s listed above is your rear outputs for 2nd amp inputs

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No adapters necessary for fairing or lowers.

Both amps will fit fine side by side under head unit

Pin #s listed above is your rear outputs for 2nd amp inputs
Just re-read your post again. Sorry as my brain is floating with over load. Going to start my search now for best buy on some amps and speakers. Thanks again for all the info. Any change of you coming to Vegas and helping with the install.LOL

·
Registered
209 Posts
Me, no sir but I do have an excellent audio guy/friend there in Vegas. I'll ask him to take a look at your thread to see if he's interested.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Me, no sir but I do have an excellent audio guy/friend there in Vegas. I'll ask him to take a look at your thread to see if he's interested.
I would greatly appreciate that. I will make it worth his while if he is interested. I would still want to do all the work, I just might need some guidance on the wiring. I just googled the NVX amp and I really like how small it is and I would only need one is also appealing. I will be going to the harley shop tomorrow to order my lower fairing speaker pods. I just received the lower fairing today so I still have to paint those also. PM me if your bud die is interested.

One more question if you don't mind? What gauge wire would you use for the Amp power and ground?

Thanks again for the help.

Aaron

1 - 20 of 38 Posts