Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently running a stock head unit in my 2011 RGC, along with a 100 watt ARC amp and a pair of $300 speakers. The additions of the amp and speakers were done 10 years ago. I'm reasonably knowledgeable with home audio gear and over the years have put together a system that I can sit for hours and listen to, but I'm years behind on my knowledge of car/bike audio. In the next couple months I'm about to undertake some needed upgrades to my bike, including the audio, and am looking for some help with the audio portion.

1. I want to be able to hear my music fairly clearly at 80-85 mph (it's not too bad now), but
more importantly I want to greatly improve the quality of the sound I'm hearing at
0-60 mph. I'm not looking to impress a parking lot full of people, just myself. Is there
much to be gained in a 2 speaker system by changing out the ARC amp I currently
have to something newer?

2. I live in SW Florida where during our rainy season (May thru Sept.) we get downpours
more days than not. Usually it's fast moving showers that might only last 30 minutes, but
we really get dumped on for those 30 minutes so I want speakers that are built to be
exposed to the rain on a regular basis. These pop-up late afternoon/evening showers are
almost impossible to avoid if you ride regularly. Also, I don't mind notching the speaker
pods if that's needed to fit the bigger speaker magnets.

3. I want a head unit with a CD player as I have 300+ CDs. Ideally, I'd like to have both CDs
and downloaded music as options. I'm a few months shy of 70 and am just starting to
download music. (I recently purchased a new stand alone DAC and a streamer for the
home system so I'm dragging myself out of the dark ages ... slowly. Would continuing to
use the stock head unit along with an upgraded amp and speakers be much of a detriment
to the sound quality?

4. Not looking to do speakers in the bags or chopped TP, I use them quite often and don't want to lose the space, and want them to remain waterproof.

5. Max budget of $1,000. if not changing out the head unit

Fire away, I'm open to all suggestions .....

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I also get the showers here, and that steered my HU decision. Some people have had trouble with the Aquatic HU, I have had zero in many years of owning it. Buddy put one in a while ago and no issues with his. Lot of guys go with the Sony HU, fathead cycles sells a kit with everything you need I believe. I don't know if it comes with a splash guard, you will need that for sure. RF makes a HU that's a direct replacement along with Jensen also. You have a few choices.

The GZ coax get rave reviews. Now, if you can find them that would be what I would go with. Mmats and a stinger amp are a good combo also.
Listen to some speakers and see what you like. Whatever you decide on speaker wise, match the amp to it.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Forgot to add: If you don't have 6.5 adapters for the speakers you will need those

·
Registered
469 Posts
hey Fuzzy,

Is much to be gained? More than you can imagine. I can’t assist with your HU, I have no experience with single din HU or even ones with CD players.

I can give you the easy button for speakers and amp though. Mmats coax. Reasonably priced, treated for water, they’ll stand up to your Florida rain. If you’re just doing two speakers, you can probably get away with running them off a 400.4 and you’re way under budget. They’ll sound great! Step up and patiently wait for the GZ coax and run it from a 800.4.

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
2,043 Posts
Our older models don't have speaker pods to notch - they just hang out in the air. I was reluctant to get rid of my CD player as well, but I burned all my CD's to mp3 tracks and downloaded a bunch of music - then I just swapped my OE deck over to an AquaticAV. We have less audio options up North here, MMats and Stinger amps need to be imported, so I used a small Focal amp and Polk MM652 speakers because I could easily buy them and living in a rainforest, I need the water protection as well.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Honestly, the brand of amp is pretty irrelevant. anything you can get and actual 140Wx2 for mmats or anything you can get 250x2 for the GZs. Oh, also an amp that meets those specs and fits in the fairing.

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Limited Silver Pine/Spruce
39 Posts
Hey Fuzzy...the setup I had in my 2012 worked quite well for me. I wanted to stay with the stock HK head unit for a couple of reasons...totally waterproof, maintain CB, keep all hand controls, etc.
What I did was sent the radio to Iron Cross for some mods. They can add Preamp Outputs front & rear for $80. This will give you low level (RCA) outputs. They can do an internal Bluetooth mod for $120. Not better sound but gives you the option to stream music from your phone...when you run out of CD's :) While it was there, I also had them change the backlight color to white. I found the stock red/orange almost impossible to see details at night. So much better in white!! This will run you $175 but has nothing to do with better sound.
If you're interested...http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/additional-services.html

Once the HU was updated and the way I wanted it, I added the previously mentioned Stinger amp, Mmats coax (weather treated) in the fairing, and some Polk MM652's (marine rated) in the TP pods. For me rolling down the road, this setup was plenty loud enough. I don't go looking for rain but it happens and when you gotta be somewhere...I ride. The nice thing about this setup was being able to take the rain. One day on a tour through NY state, we rode in a heavy rain all day...9 hours! This setup never missed a beat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i did my audio a few years ago.
Got way better sound but miss a screen that is readable and the weather feed on the stock Radiosound HU
When riding pick setting before i leave and don't try to change until next stop

·
Registered
216 Posts
I did a Soundz system in 2017. Had it all done at bike week in Wildwood, NJ. This year I had to replace the amp - lost the left channel - Was pleased to find out that Soundz is in Florida now, same time zone. Those guys were great! They have upgraded 2 amps since mine so, set me up with amp and new wire harnesses at a 25% discount for being a return customer. Included lots of tech service too. Bill and Joe were great, responded to all my calls and texts even though they were very busy.
Bob

·
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your input, lots of good info for me to digest. I'm thinking I'll likely keep the head unit, at least for right now, and replace the speakers and amp with higher quality units. I didn't realize that Soundz had moved east and are now located here in FL. , so they're an obvious source to check out. I've heard good things about Iron Cross and may have them modify the stock head unit. Thanks again and if you have something more to add here, please do.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input, lots of good info for me to digest. I'm thinking I'll likely keep the head unit, at least for right now, and replace the speakers and amp with higher quality units. I didn't realize that Soundz had moved east and are now located here in FL. , so they're an obvious source to check out. I've heard good things about Iron Cross and may have them modify the stock head unit. Thanks again and if you have something more to add here, please do.
Kevin, right now the two speakers and an amp go to are the Ground Zero Coaxial 6.5 Speakers and the Soundigital 800.4 EVOX Amplifier. This gets great reviews for a two-speaker combination.
Soundz has some very good systems but they are extremely expensive and putting things together yourself is less expensive and better pieces, in My Opinion.
Best of Luck with whatever You decide to do.
Mike U.

·
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kevin, right now the two speakers and an amp go to are the Ground Zero Coaxial 6.5 Speakers and the Soundigital 800.4 EVOX Amplifier. This gets great reviews for a two-speaker combination.
Soundz has some very good systems but they are extremely expensive and putting things together yourself is less expensive and better pieces, in My Opinion.
Best of Luck with whatever You decide to do.
Mike U.
Thanks Mike. I actually spent some time this afternoon looking on line for a pair of the GZ Coax 6.5 but as you already know pretty much everyone has sold out. I looked on at least 15 websites and no one had them available. Have you heard any indication of when they expect to have inventory in the US again? I assume the swap over of 2 speakers and the amp are an easy half day job so waiting a few weeks won't make any difference. Actually, I'm going to have the front end completely rebuilt as a major component of freshening the old girl up. Trying to decide whose components to use because they all should represent a major improvement over what I have now. I'll just do the amp and speakers when I have the fairing off for the fork work.

Those things, plus a little regular maintenance with new rotors/pads all the way around, check cam chain tensioner, etc. Got tired of HD not giving the touring platform a total makeover and decided I'd just keep Sedona Sally until I'm done riding on two. She's treated me well so it's about time I give her a partial mechanical makeover. Check everything, replace what's needed. I'm thinking of throwing a little lipstick on her by changing the lighting to LED all around.

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Thanks Mike. I actually spent some time this afternoon looking on line for a pair of the GZ Coax 6.5 but as you already know pretty much everyone has sold out. I looked on at least 15 websites and no one had them available. Have you heard any indication of when they expect to have inventory in the US again? I assume the swap over of 2 speakers and the amp are an easy half day job so waiting a few weeks won't make any difference. Actually, I'm going to have the front end completely rebuilt as a major component of freshening the old girl up. Trying to decide whose components to use because they all should represent a major improvement over what I have now. I'll just do the amp and speakers when I have the fairing off for the fork work.

Those things, plus a little regular maintenance with new rotors/pads all the way around, check cam chain tensioner, etc. Got tired of HD not giving the touring platform a total makeover and decided I'd just keep Sedona Sally until I'm done riding on two. She's treated me well so it's about time I give her a partial mechanical makeover. Check everything, replace what's needed. I'm thinking of throwing a little lipstick on her by changing the lighting to LED all around.
Kevin, You are most welcome and that's great that Sedona Sally is getting some loving from You.
Get ahold of Andy Denton at Aggressive Audio in Jerseyville, Il at (681)410-7510 or FB, Aggressive Audio.
Or check out Carlos Ramirez at NVS Audio in Roselle, NJ (908)527-6772 NVS Audio – Because Carlos Works Here.
Andy at Aggressive and Carlos at NVS are both Great Guys and a Wealth of Audio Knowledge and should have the information needed on the GZ Coaxials.
If that doesn't work out You can try The Audio Advantage in Newberry, SC at (803)768-2329 Audio Advantage or [email protected]. The owner, Shane Stafford, is a Great and Knowledgeable Guy also.
Best of Luck Brother!
Mike U.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If Soundz does the install BOOM 3 year warranty I have the Iron series. ^ speakers and bass at the 100 mph. The Carbon series sounds louder because it's higher tone. Depends on what music you like.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would skip the CD player and start converting your CD’s to MP3’s on your computer so you can use a thumb drive, BT, etc.

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I want a head unit with a CD player as I have 300+ CDs. Ideally, I'd like to have both CDs
and downloaded music as options. I'm a few months shy of 70 and am just starting to
download music. (I recently purchased a new stand alone DAC and a streamer for the
home system so I'm dragging myself out of the dark ages ... slowly. Would continuing to
use the stock head unit along with an upgraded amp and speakers be much of a detriment
to the sound quality?
Similar situation, like the stock head unit but have music on my phone. Guy at local audio shop says there is a BlueTooth add-on that can connected to the Aux port internally (so no web of wires or batteries to change) that runs about $40 (for the part). I'm planning to giving it a shot, but it might be Christmas before I have time to get it done.

Could be worth investigating.

·
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.... I'm planning to giving it a shot, but it might be Christmas before I have time to get it done.

/QUOTE]

Geez, you're WAY too busy! lol

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
I went with the Stinger 700 amp and Mmats water treated 6.5 speakers in the lowers last year. Sounds great and was bought on sale at a good price.
If you change out the HU , I recommend one of these
It was pricey but worth it imho and looks good.
I also wanted a cd player, so I went with the Alpine 149bt, the 149's display can be seen most of the time at daytime too. Like others have said , not such a big deal having a cd player. I mostly Bluetooth music off my phone or use a thumb drive.
Change out all your wiring to OFC at proper gauge if your not already using it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Geez, you're WAY too busy! lol
In short: That's the only time I have enough vacation time to scatter my daily rider across the garage for an extended period of time.

But! In the progress department, I did finally go pick the damn thing up and it is an: InstallBay IBR64

I did quick-N-dirty external install of it yesterday just to see how well it worked paired to my phone, and it never missed a beat when I went out behind the garage to take a leak. So it's got some range.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Damn it, now you got me started..

After hearing it work, I couldn't resist tying it down for an extended road test. I can't put it inside properly until I get the secondary Aux port added to the back of the radio. And that is more than I can - comfortably - attack on a Sunday, because she has to be ready for work Monday morning.

So quick-N-dirty with Zip-Ties it is:

And yes, even tucked into the metal faring bracket, it still has a 30 foot plus range. Actually fit really well there.

Obviously not my best work ... But I guess we will find out just how "waterproof" this thing is shortly..

Note: I'm using the Android app Musicolet on my phone (for the 300 songs it contains) for this, because it has an easy, simple straightforward interface that can be operated without requiring a lot of your attention. It's as close to a 70's pocket radio level simple as I could find these days.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts