Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
9,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
OK, so here's a progress report ..... or maybe, a lack of progress report! I ordered a pair of GZCZ 6.5s from Andy Denton after a very pleasant conversation with him. I was impressed by the fact that throughout the conversation he didn't try to sell me anything 'extra' . Though these speakers have been in high demand and short supply, he had just received 24 pairs the previous day and shipped my pair within 48 hours. I was all set to purchase a Soundsdigital 800.4 EVOX (which I would have purchased from Andy), but prior to that happening a member here (Bruce00) made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a lightly used Stinger SPX700 x4 which I'll run bridged into the GZs.

I spent some time on YouTube and watched a couple of Carlos' videos. I had been told to make sure to buy a DSP unit to fine tune the system, but quickly learned from one of the videos that using a DSP in a two speaker system wasn't at all necessary, and Andy told me it would be overkill on a simple 2 speaker system. Andy recommended I go to Amazon and purchase a simple and inexpensive PAC SNI-35 Line Output Converter. I was chatting with another of our members here (Mike U) and asked his opinion about the PAC SNI-35 being the right tool for the job and he agreed that that was an appropriate solution and then told me he had 2-3 of them hanging around and offered to send me one of them .. gratis. Mike himself is a perfect example of why he calls this the greatest forum on the internet. People you've never met instantly offering to give you something you need, that they don't have use for any longer. By comparison, you only have to watch 30 minutes of the crap on the national news to truly appreciate the amount of generosity and goodwill that's generated on this forum. (y)(y)

Before I ordered any of the above, I ordered the 6.5 speaker adaptors from Biketronics. Unfortunately, they were missing some component of the adaptors that's been on back order from the manufacturer. A common place problem in this post-pandemic marketplace. I called them yesterday and Cindy took my info and said she'd check on my order status and get back to me. She called later that day and told me that my order should get shipped the first half of next week. I was appreciative of her quick response, but I have to be a bit critical over the fact that they didn't show the parts as being out of stock at the time of order, and over the next 3 weeks never sent an email to give me an update. That and the fact that they charged my CC long before they had the parts to ship left me with a lukewarm first experience with Biketronics. Yes, I'd do business with them again, but I'd be very specific about asking them for in-stock status of the parts prior to ordering.

I did decide to keep the stock HU so once the speaker adaptors arrive I'll have everything I need to complete the upgrade. Jon (Re-Do) has graciously offered to stop over and give me a hand installing everything once I have everything needed. I know that compared to many on here, this is (by comparison) a very routine upgrade that falls way short of what some on here have done to their sound systems, but I'm just as anxious to reap the benefits of this upgrade as I'm sure they were with theirs. I can't wait to hear the results. Thanks to all that offered suggestions, advice, or other assistance. Motorcycles and good music - what's better than that?!

U F

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
OK, so here's a progress report ..... or maybe, a lack of progress report! I ordered a pair of GZCZ 6.5s from Andy Denton after a very pleasant conversation with him. I was impressed by the fact that throughout the conversation he didn't try to sell me anything 'extra' . Though these speakers have been in high demand and short supply, he had just received 24 pairs the previous day and shipped my pair within 48 hours. I was all set to purchase a Soundsdigital 800.4 EVOX (which I would have purchased from Andy), but prior to that happening a member here (Bruce00) made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a lightly used Stinger SPX700 x4 which I'll run bridged into the GZs.

I spent some time on YouTube and watched a couple of Carlos' videos. I had been told to make sure to buy a DSP unit to fine tune the system, but quickly learned from one of the videos that using a DSP in a two speaker system wasn't at all necessary, and Andy told me it would be overkill on a simple 2 speaker system. Andy recommended I go to Amazon and purchase a simple and inexpensive PAC SNI-35 Line Output Converter. I was chatting with another of our members here (Mike U) and asked his opinion about the PAC SNI-35 being the right tool for the job and he agreed that that was an appropriate solution and then told me he had 2-3 of them hanging around and offered to send me one of them .. gratis. Mike himself is a perfect example of why he calls this the greatest forum in the internet. People you've never met instantly offering to give you something you need, that they don't have use for any longer. You only have to watch 30 minutes of the national news to truly appreciate the amount of generosity and goodwill that's generated on this forum. (y)(y)

Before I ordered any of the above, I ordered the 6.5 speaker adaptors from Biketronics. Unfortunately, they were missing some component of the adaptors that's been on back order from the manufacturer. A commonplace problem in this post-pandemic marketplace. I called them yesterday and Cindy took my info and said she'd check on my order status and get back to me. She called later that day and told me that my order should get shipped the first half of next week. I was appreciative of her quick response, but I have to be a bit critical over the fact that they didn't show the parts as being out of stock at the time of order, and over the next 3 weeks never sent an email to give me an update. That and the fact that they charged my CC long before they had the parts to ship left me with a lukewarm first experience with Biketronics. Yes, I'd do business with them again, but I'd be very specific about asking them for in-stock status of the parts prior to ordering.

I did decide to keep the stock HU so once the speaker adaptors arrive I'll have everything I need to complete the upgrade. Jon (Re-Do) has graciously offered to stop over and give me a hand installing everything once I have everything needed. I know that compared to many on here, this is (by comparison) a very routine upgrade that falls way short of what some on here have done to their sound systems, but I'm just as anxious to reap the benefits of this upgrade as I'm sure they were with theirs. I can't wait to hear the results. Thanks to all that offered suggestions, advice, or other assistance. Motorcycles and good music - what's better than that?!

U F
Right On Unc!!!!
I'm glad that I was able to assist You.
Looking forward to the "Shit Eatin Grin" You'll have once Your System is Up and Running.
Rock Those Blues Kevin!!!!
Keep Us Posted on how it all goes and don't forget The Pics"!
Mike U.

·
9,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Right On Unc!!!!
I'm glad that I was able to assist You.
Looking forward to the "Shit Eatin Grin" You'll have once Your System is Up and Running.
Rock Those Blues Kevin!!!!
Keep Us Posted on how it all goes and don't forget The Pics"!
Mike U.
I'm had Blues-Rock guitarist extraordinaire, Mike Zitto's new album "Resurrection" playing almost constantly on the bike for the past month or so since I saw him live with Albert Castiglia. He's got about 4 songs on there that I can't wait to wake the neighbors with!

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
466 Posts
Good on Mike and JC for lending a hand. JC is one of the most meticulous dudes I know and he’s a phenomenal guy. You’re gonna like the way that sounds when it’s put together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
9,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Good on Mike and JC for lending a hand. JC is one of the most meticulous dudes I know and he’s a phenomenal guy. You’re gonna like the way that sounds when it’s put together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

·
Registered
9,250 Posts

I spent some time on YouTube and watched a couple of Carlos' videos. I had been told to make sure to buy a DSP unit to fine tune the system, but quickly learned from one of the videos that using a DSP in a two speaker system wasn't at all necessary, and Andy told me it would be overkill on a simple 2 speaker system. Andy recommended I go to Amazon and purchase a simple and inexpensive PAC SNI-35 Line Output Converter. I was chatting with another of our members here (Mike U) and asked his opinion about the PAC SNI-35 being the right tool for the job and he agreed that that was an appropriate solution and then told me he had 2-3 of them hanging around and offered to send me one of them .. gratis. Mike himself is a perfect example of why he calls this the greatest forum on the internet. People you've never met instantly offering to give you something you need, that they don't have use for any longer. By comparison, you only have to watch 30 minutes of the crap on the national news to truly appreciate the amount of generosity and goodwill that's generated on this forum. (y)(y)

Before I ordered any of the above, I ordered the 6.5 speaker adaptors from Biketronics. Unfortunately, they were missing some component of the adaptors that's been on back order from the manufacturer. A common place problem in this post-pandemic marketplace. I called them yesterday and Cindy took my info and said she'd check on my order status and get back to me. She called later that day and told me that my order should get shipped the first half of next week. I was appreciative of her quick response, but I have to be a bit critical over the fact that they didn't show the parts as being out of stock at the time of order, and over the next 3 weeks never sent an email to give me an update. That and the fact that they charged my CC long before they had the parts to ship left me with a lukewarm first experience with Biketronics. Yes, I'd do business with them again, but I'd be very specific about asking them for in-stock status of the parts prior to ordering.

U F
You're going to like that Stinger amp. Plenty of clean power . I've been running it since last yr.

·
9,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You're going to like that Stinger amp. Plenty of clean power . I've been running it since last yr.
Initially I was going with the Soundsdigital 800.4 but supply was off and on and I was made an offer I couldn't turn down on the slightly used Stinger. I'm sure this budget set-up will be much better than what's there now, although that pair of speakers and the 100 Watt ARC amp did me proud for 10 years and they're still working just fine. I made a decision after watching "The Big Worldwide MoCo 2021 Model Reveal" 6 months ago that I'm gonna invest maybe $2,500 or so to do some needed maintenance and give the old girl just a little lipstick with stereo upgrade and LEDs all around. Their lack of any meaningful progress on a new touring platform forced my hand as I'm getting too old to 'wait another year or two'.

I'm good with my decision to ride 'er til I can't ride on 2 any longer.

Reactions: Big_gary and Mike U
21 - 27 of 27 Posts