Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone, here's the scoop. I am considering and interested in adding a "tuner" to my bike. I am NOT a motorhead!!!!! I run a 2004 with Stage One Kit, no cats in the head pipes and Screaming Eagle Slash-cut slip ons ( the ones that say" not for street use" ). I am looking for a a little more " ummph" if you will. Something that I can simply plug in and go. I dont want to to dynos, downloading maps and all of that other crap. Just a little more power,especially when riding loaded with gear and two up.
I realize that many of you will think I'm a wuss for not going all in on this but all that is simply not that important to me to spend crazy amounts of money for alot of extra ponies, when a few extra ponies will be just fine.
Like I said, simple, easy to install and reliable is what Im after. The cost is the cost.
Thanks Everyone!!:D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thundermax

If it was me I would go with a thundermax tunner no maps to load no dyno needed the bike will run smoother better response and a bit faster with more hp and torque I never used the power vision but did use the pcv

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would call fuel moto. They will talk to you and get you what you want and will be happy with. They sell a whole range of tuners and will help you with them all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The good news is that your headers don't have any O2 sensors. The Harley Delphi systems didn't use those back then. You could go with something simple like Fuel Moto's load based add-on tuner, which they'll pre-load a map for your stage one and slip ons. You're not looking at very much outlay of $$$, maybe ~$200. They're easy to install. If you can change your own oil, you can put one of these on your bike. I'd bet you could find one of the older Screamin Eagle Race Fueler's on ebay for around $100. You wouldhave to adjust it yourself, but again, it's very easy to do, all you need is a screwdriver. No computer, no maps to download. The downside is if you decide to further mod the engine (i.e. cams, big bore kit...), as these little gadgets will only add fuel, nothing else.

Since you don't have O2 sensors, the auto-tuners won't do any good for you, unless you have 18mm bungs welded into the right spot on your headers to accomodate the wide band O2 sensors (one per cylinder), or you buy an exhaust system that already has them in place. The auto tuners use the feedback from the sensors, along with the MAP sensor, Ion Sensor, et al, to develop fuel/timing map corrections.

I'd say get a load based fueler.....

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have the Fuel Moto branded version of Power Commander on my 06.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/site/fuel-moto-efi-tuner.html

Like you, I have no 02 sensors or any of that crap so as mentioned above, the ones that auto tune don't work for us. Getting it from FM gives you the added benefit of coming to you already set up for your bike--just tell them the pipes, intake and engine mods and they'll program it before they put it in the box. And of course you can always connect it to your laptop for tweaking if you want, but if you want easy, it's hard to beat. And they have excellent customer service.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Info

Thanks guys for the responses. Not being a "motorhead" , I get a little skittish on this kind of stuff as I have a fear of getting sucked into alot of money being spent and end up with something I have to screw with periodically and or something that the cost far outweighs the benefits.
I am pretty well versed in alot of things, but the intricacies of engines and fuel systems , I am not. I am leaning towards the Fuel Moto product unless some of you other seasoned experts have other feedback. :eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep. PowerCommander is the value for your dollar choice. As is explained above, its simple especially if FuelMoto sends the unit programmed with your tune after you give them the details. I got the PowerVision and I cannot use most of the fancy features cause us 2006 and older bikes dont have o2 sensors. The PV is a very fancy interface with touchscreen options, but If I were to do the value choice it would be the PowerCommander. Save hundreds of $$$$ and get same results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For hassle Free- I have the RCXcelerator. $350 installed- No dyna, No mapping ,No computers , auto tunes and immediate throttle as well as bike running cooler. I wanted something hassle free, easy and most important i DID NOT want to spend a grand on a fuel tuner with auto tune!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Taken from the RCX instructions

"Exhaust systems that are not equipped with 02 sensor
bungs:
Would need to have a bung with an 18mm x
1.5mm thread size welded to the exhaust pipe in order to
install an 02 sensor. The RCX-Celerator systems prefers
to receive information from the 02 sensor from an area
that is not contaminated from atmospheric air. This air
may enter through the tail pipe of an unrestricted or unbaffled
exhaust pipe. We prefer the 02 sensor bung be installed
3 to 6 inches away from the rear cylinder exhaust
port and in front of the exhaust torque tube pipe area. We
recommend that the bung NOT be installed in the area
of “5 to 7 o’clock”. In this targeted area the gases which
contain moisture exiting from the cylinder exhaust port
will harm the 02 sensor’s ceramic shell element.
After welding the bung to the exhaust pipe, clean the
bung threads with an 18mm x 1.5m tap. Route the
RCX-Celerator harness which includes an 02 sensor to
the sensor’s bung location and install the sensor. Then
torque the 02 sensor nut to allow the crush washer to “flatten”
this will allow the washer to seal the 02 sensor and
washer to the bung’s surface."

Hence forth the Fuel Moto Micro Tuner option you mentioned is more your speed. Have them pre-load a map with your current intake/ exhaust combo, then plug and play away....

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone

After all the feedback I contacted Fuel Moto and pulled the trigger on the unit.They were very helpful and answered all of the dumbass questions I asked...(as i said Im not a motorhead). Will be here on Friday. Will have to wait until sunday to get put in as I am leaving on Wed for THE MASTERS!!! Whoo Hoo!!!!!!
Thanks everyne for the feedback and information. I really appreciate it. This is EXACTLY why I joined this forum over a year ago. So much experience and shared information from folks who want to help and have been there themselves. Priceless!!! :D

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whoo hoo!!!

Tuner came today!!!!! Will get it installed in the next day or so and will report back on the results...cant wait!!!! Thanks again for all of the feedback from everyone in helping me make a call on what to get. Guys I appreciate it!!!!:D

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, 2 weeks later I finally found the 10 minutes it took to plug in the Fuel Pak from Fuel Moto. Hardest part was getting all the wires shoved back in there good and tight to get the cover back on. Talk about simple !!!! Love it!! Couldnt ride as its pouring but I did fire it up for a few. Seemed to run a little rough for the first few minutes but seemed to smooth out a little as time went along.
Question; Do these fuel paks have a " learning period" involved that gets worked out as you ride it for the first time? Thanks for the feedback!!!:cool:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, 2 weeks later I finally found the 10 minutes it took to plug in the Fuel Pak from Fuel Moto. Hardest part was getting all the wires shoved back in there good and tight to get the cover back on. Talk about simple !!!! Love it!! Couldnt ride as its pouring but I did fire it up for a few. Seemed to run a little rough for the first few minutes but seemed to smooth out a little as time went along.
Question; Do these fuel paks have a " learning period" involved that gets worked out as you ride it for the first time? Thanks for the feedback!!!:cool:
im not sure which unit you pruchased, im assuming it was a PC version of some sort with a preinstalled map.

if so, no, there is no learning time frame. that map will bypass your stock ecm assuming there is one and run the bike based on the map. fuel to air-at idle, fuel to air at each gear, plus throttle position etc..

these maps can be adjusted, deleted, re-installed. based on your needs. ive had a dyna with a PC-v, then my streetglide with a PC-v now i have my RGU with the dreaded SE tuner ( only cause i didnt pay for it ) so in a year or so, ill be getting my PC-V for my RGU. but for now ill stay with the free unit.

save your receipt from FM, in the future if you have issues, or wanna update,change our map, they'll ask for a customer number to assure you purchased the unit from them.. best of luck with your nit and your ride.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I spoke to the folks at Fuel Moto this morning. Idle throttle positon needed adjusted as all bikes are slightly different. Took about 5 minutes to adjust with the software . That seemed to do the trick!!!! I am really impressed wth how darned sick and easy this has been. Hope to be able to get the dang thing out tomorrow for a ride ....still wet and COLD.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got to put a few miles on after installing the Fuel Pak. Holey Moley what a difference!!!! More pull, smoother, flatter powerband, easier start, smoother idle. Like I said, WOW!!!
Had to adjust the throttle position setting via the software. It was slightly off . Easy peezie adjustment AFTER I finally got the damned software to work. The disk they sent me was bad. Screen was half blank. After three reload attempts, I said to hell with it and went on the website and downloaded from there. Other than that little glitch , I am very pleased with the purchase and all is well. Cant wait to get "Dirty Juanita" in the N.W. Arkansas mountains and see how all this new juice I have works . Thanks for the feeedback folks on helping me picka route to go ...:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad it worked out good for you! There's never anything wrong with just going after the "easy" power vs. spending all capitol for every ounce of HP/TQ.

I ran with a load based fueler for years on my '06. Worked out great, had a very noticeable "butt-dyno" improvement right off the bat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts