Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any club affiliation associated with the Willie G skulls or are they just badass looking covers?

I'm thinking of putting a couple Willie G items on my bike but don't want to inadvertently introduce more bulls**t into my life. I'm new to Roadglides and Harleys and already get plenty of attention from youngsters trying to prove themselves (I'm a pretty big dude).

·
Registered
972 Posts
No affiliation

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I'm coming from a Yamaha world where I was invisible to the masses. The Harley gets a lot of attention and these days I'm just an old dude who wants to enjoy his bike.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
144 Posts
From Wikipedia: William Godfrey "Willie G." Davidson (born 1933)is an American businessman and motorcycle designer, and the former senior vice president & chief styling officer of Harley-Davidson Motor Company. He was also the head of Harley-Davidson's Willie G. Davidson Product Development Center in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. While being generally responsible for approving Harley-Davidson motorcycle designs, he also personally designed several motorcycles for Harley-Davidson, including the Super Glide and the Low Rider, which pioneered the factory custom motorcycle and created an intermediate line of motorcycles between their large touring models and their smaller Sportsters.

Davidson joined the design department of Harley-Davidson in 1963. In 1969 he was promoted to Vice President of Styling. His designs during the 1970s included the 1971 FX Super Glide, the 1977 FXS Low Rider, and the 1977 XLCR Sportster-based cafe racer.

Willie was one of the Harley-Davidson executives who joined Vaughn Beals in buying Harley-Davidson from parent company American Machine and Foundry in 1981.

On March 16, 2012, it was announced that Willie G. would retire from Harley-Davidson on April 30, 2012. He is to remain involved as brand ambassador, and in Special Design Projects as Chief Styling Officer Emeritus."

No affiliation, just Harley style. Me personally... I am a sucker for anything Willie G Skull. I walk into my dealership and the apparel girls will yell that they have something new in. Haha!

Reactions: Redeemer and sh1520

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I thought they represented the "I like to spend my money on Willie G crap" club >:)

Reactions: reds4

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a few things Willie G. on the bike, but it was there when I bought it, well, with the exception of the grips. Hell, I actually like the grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Cool. I'm coming from a Yamaha world where I was invisible to the masses. The Harley gets a lot of attention and these days I'm just an old dude who wants to enjoy his bike.
Thanks for the reply.
What Yamaha did you have?
I had a 2008 Raider & a 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe.
Both were great bikes for sure.
Was hard to beat their 1900 c.c / 113 c.i. motor.
Swomack

·
Registered
311 Posts
Had an 03 Road Star. Had 63,xxx on it when I got rid of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Off topic, but I love the Eddie avatar, Headrope!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! Me and Eddie go way back. Been a fan of 'his' since I was a teenager.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts