Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
19" Harley Davidson shield or the Windvest 16" ? Currently have a 17" Memphis Shades and have buffeting issues especially when i wear my helmet with a visor. I am 6'3 just for reference and see over the 17" Memphis shield fine. I'm wondering if the 16" Windvest will solve the issue or go with the taller HD windshield ? Or, maybe find a 20" or taller WS if there is one out there...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Depending on what you prefer, looking over vs through a windshield, I would lean towards the Windvest since looking over is best. Now the buffeting might not be caused by the windshield. It could be wind from underneath in which case you'll need the lower deflectors. Your helmet can also be a problem.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The problem with large fairings such as Road Glide or Gold Wing or even the Bat Wing to a lesser extent is that they creat a suction behind them as the push through the wind. This is why the 2014 HD batwings have a vent built into the fairiing. It reduces the pressure behind the fairing. It will help if you get a vented shield or an adjustable shield or a lamilar or MRS type wing that mounts to the front of your shield. Rifle and Clearview make vented shields. The adjustable shield is from Madstad. MRS and Lamilar make wings that mount to to front of an OEM shield. The adjustalble shield and the wings create a venturi effect that greatly reduces the buffeting caused by large fairings. Good luck in your wind shield collection.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Depending on what you prefer, looking over vs through a windshield, I would lean towards the Windvest since looking over is best. Now the buffeting might not be caused by the windshield. It could be wind from underneath in which case you'll need the lower deflectors. Your helmet can also be a problem.
Oh ya. What he said about the lowers. And my half helmet goes through the wind better than my 3/4 helmet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If i lower my head boom the buffeting is gone just a nice little pocket of calmness which is why i was thinking of taller. I've read some good reviews on Windvest and they suggest 16" for a 6'6 rider which i find hard to believe there would be no buffeting. I don't think the wind deflectors will solve the problem but i might give it a shot. I hate to spend another $175 and not solve the the problem. It's not as bad with my full-face or skull cap but the problem is still there, wish i were a little shorter sometimes.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I had a 14 HD windspliter that worked weel, but I did not like to look of it. I'm 5'10" and have 11" windvest, I also have the HD wind deflectors that mount on the crash bars and tank bolt. I also just put on Sancho wings, I still have a little buffering but can hear the my tunes at 90 so I'm good.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
The best way to get rid of the buffeting is the Madstad. Some say it is ugly but that is because most have only seen 2D pictures. I am 6'1" and I had the 14" Windvest and was actully very happy with it but I did get some buffeting when I wore my full face. I tried the 13" madstad and have never looked back. To me it actually looks better on the bike than my 14" WV did. If you don't have ard lowers you may want to get those too. They help a lot especially if you don't want to go the Madstad route.

FYI... I, like many others, have tried several different windshields. I recommend that you save yourself some money in the long run by just going ahead and getting the MS. Because if the buffeting is that big of an issue for you, you will eventually end up with one anyway. Just my 2 pennies. :D

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
The best cure for buffeting is putting on hard lowers not changing the windshield. Looking over the top on the windshield a couple of inch is best. Looking through the windshield sucks when it is raining. JMO

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Save yourself some money by getting the Madstad now. If you go another route and buffeting is still the issue, and it most likely will be, you will end up getting the MS anyway. It is the best shield bar none for solving this issue. Hard lowers will also help a great deal and are worth the money. I had a 14" WV and thought I was very happy until I road behind the MS. Some say it's ugly but once you actually see it on a bike in person it doesn't look as bad. I have it on my CVO and I get all kinds of compliments on it and I like the looks way better than my 14" WV that I had. No I don't think it's the best looking shield for looks alone but for function it is 2nd to none.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
I have a 14" WV on my 11 & wear 1/2 helmet, which works great. But when I wear my full face, I can't deal with all the buffeting. From what I've read on this site, the Madstad will me my next w/s.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Your original post doesn't say whether you have a custom or an Ultra which sit 1 inch higher in the back due to a taller suspension. Regardless, the height & style windshield that works for one may not for the next. I have bought, traded, borrowed and demoed a total of 11 shields. The stock & HD Windsplitter were unacceptable for me. Ultra CVO shield I bought from a member is actually a pretty good winter shield.

The Windvest 14" & 15", LRS 15", Clearview XL and Freedom 15" all work similarly and good. National Cycles stock and tall, as well as Cee Baileys have more curves and are alright, but what has worked best for me, like many others, is a Madstad.

Save your money and avoid the aggravation; call them and get their opinion based on your bike, your height and riding style. Cost more but cheaper than buying half a dozen or more, a whole lot less trouble and although not infinitely adjustable, there's a setting for most riding styles.

Keep an eye on the classifieds; windshields always popping up for sale at greatly reduced prices and in practically new condition. Except for Madstads - which are probably the least common shield listed for sale. Oh & they have a 60 day money back trial. I'm getting zero from them by the way, already paid for mine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
296 Posts
No one has mentioned the Klockwerks or Cee Bailey's curved windscreens yet. I have had the Kolckwerks 12" and now am running the Cee Bailey's 13" clear and have no buffeting at all. I know Klockwerks makes a 16" and Cee Bailey's makes a taller one too. I like the curved hip look and feel it works wonders creating clean air behind it for comfort. I am 5' 10" and look over the 13". They are both worth a look at, they work better than just the re-curve like the Windvest, IMHO.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The HD Flaps, GADS LTTD, HD Vented Lowers, and 12" WindSplitter = Areodynamic Nirvana for me!

Nothing but clean air at any speed, with or w/o helmet!!! 6'4" 34"inseam.

What I'm saying is; If the other components listed, are in play, one has a lot more flexibility with windshields...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Man i was hoping picking a different shield wouldn't come down to the ugly Madstad. TRUBlue my bike is a Custom BTW. Anyone tried this particular National Cycle? TRUBlue how tall are you, not being a smart arse???

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/large_photo?mv_session_id=kHoVto5y&mv_arg=N20421&search_model=hr-053
I'm 6' riding an Ultra. The National Cycle Vstream medium shield was ok, but seemed to be right in my field of view. The tall was a look through and big as a barn door. Provided very good protection, no buffeting but I like to look over not through and didn't like how it looked on the bike, too vertical. Madstad looked better to me, another poster below mentions Klockwerks, no experience with it but I did have a Cee Bailey's TRSSC Dome for a few weeks, I bought it used on the condition the guy who sold it would take it back and he did. I liked the looks of it but too much wind noise for my taste. The Cee Glide may be better, never tried it, looks good in pics but I never saw one in person. A good riding buddy of mine has a Madstad, that's why I went that direction.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Had a Klock Werks. Piece of shit, period. Hauled it to the curb for the garbageman after 3 months of getting my head whipped ( it was a 16" ) . Put a Windvest on and love it .

·
Registered
654 Posts
My 8" KW is gone. Too windy. Have a 13" Wind Vest now and it works very well and looks great. Kind of wish it was a 15"for a little more wind protection. But ya know what? A short KW shield is the best 'looking' shield there is for a Road Glide.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Think i'll try a Cee Glide and some Gads. All i have to do now is decide between the 15" or 16" shield, these shields must come tall.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts