Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, to set things up. I have a 2012 Road Glide Ultra and I am trying to install some LA Choppers Twin Peaks 13" bars.

I would appreciate a bit of help. I have been following some pointers from a couple of threads but I must have missed something on getting the right side wires threaded in along with the TBW. I am having a heck of a time. Is there a trick to pushing one through before the other? I had the TBW threaded and had the right side controls 95% through and me lead string broke so I had to pull it back out. In the process I had to pull out the TBW because I got hung-up on the TBW.

I am giving up for the night before I get angry and rip all the wires apart and have to buy all new. I would appreciate any feedback you folks have to get me over this hump (ha a pun..get it because today is hump-day). Ok I must be too tired.

Thanks in advance...

P.S. I did not add any extensions at this point because I am only installing 13" bars and it seems like the existing wires will reach.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
451 Posts
try using lube
Wire the throttle wires first
Remove the plastic wire wrap from the bundle
Stagger the wires from the hand controls, bunch 2-3 wires together every 2-3 inches

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
PATIENCE, patience and then a lil more patience. Add a lot more lube as well. I had to walk away from mine quite a few times. I used weed whacked string, folded a hook with it and taped it with electrical tape in both directions. That kept it from coming loose. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I pulled my stock sleeve through Yaffee monkey bars, I used WD40, with a push and pull method I also cut the heated grip wire, no need for it in AZ. Just take your time and maybe some help pushing while you pull. I also used ball pull chain and that helped a lot.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Good news, glad you got them threw. Hope the rest of the install goes smooth.

I just finished doing my bars a few days ago.. No TBW on my bike (04)

I was so scared to try and solder wires when i started. Now i feel like a pro at it :)

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
grats on the finished job.

Just adding some info in case people search.

- I used windex as a "lube" ...sprayed a generious amount into the bars at both ends
- Next time I'll cut the wires, solder in my extensions (to save messing with the plugs).
- I also cut out the green TBW plug and soldered it.
- removed the thick black HD sheathing and wrapped the wires in 2 layers of electrical tape.

D.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If anyone else reads this...is thinking about installing a set of bars...and has 500 bucks...spend it on letting someone else install them. I paid for the first set and thought it was too expensive. I did the yaffee bars on my shark on my own. I'll pay someone next time!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
i just finished the cat removal then sprayed high heat primer and high heat gloss black paint. Eventually new slip ons, but who knows when.

Next up is black heritage bars. Local Stealership want 8.5 man hours @ $99.00 per hours for the bars??????
Looks like I WILL BE TACKLING THE BARS MYSELF.
-> CROOKS <-

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know this thread is old, since I started it three years ago, but I installed the same bars on my '17 and it only took about 3 hours. All the new tech compared to my '12 and less/smaller wiring harnesses. Sweet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
If anyone else reads this...is thinking about installing a set of bars...and has 500 bucks...spend it on letting someone else install them. I paid for the first set and thought it was too expensive. I did the yaffee bars on my shark on my own. I'll pay someone next time!!

$500? Can't get them done around here for under $1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts