Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I just found out that I have a business meeting near Avon, CO about May 31-Jun1 time frame.

It's about 600+ miles from me so I considering riding the bike out there and I'd like to take the wife. My only concern is the weather. How's the temps up in the mountains in late May / early June?

I can handle it, I've got gear, even heated gear if needed, but I'm concerned about the wife. Think she could get by with a leather jacket and a pair of long johns?

Thanks. -Jay

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
My wife is asking if you can get by with a leather jacket and long johns after you give your wife the heated gear to wear. LOL

·
Registered
992 Posts
Riding in the day you should be perfectly fine. In the evening it gets chilly, but not freezing. In that same respect, prepare for cool weather and you should be fine either way. I know the answer is a little vague, but by May / June, I'm riding just about every day / weekend. I live about 80 miles south of Avon, same elevation.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Always pack a rain suit and leathers when in Colorado, no matter what time of year. Weather up on those passes changes really fast up there.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife is asking if you can get by with a leather jacket and long johns after you give your wife the heated gear to wear. LOL
My wife got a big kick out of that response!! Then she started thinking.. 'Hey, that's right, why are we just assuming YOU'D wear the heated jacket?'

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Riding in the day you should be perfectly fine. In the evening it gets chilly, but not freezing. In that same respect, prepare for cool weather and you should be fine either way. I know the answer is a little vague, but by May / June, I'm riding just about every day / weekend. I live about 80 miles south of Avon, same elevation.
Always pack a rain suit and leathers when in Colorado, no matter what time of year. Weather up on those passes changes really fast up there.
Thanks guys. Good advice. I've been that way a few times, but it's always been in late summer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I lived in Vail in 2005-06. Received 14" of snow Memorial Day weekend in one day. Watch the weather the closer you get. It may call for rain in Denver and Grand Junction, but it will be snowing in the mountains.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I lived in Vail in 2005-06. Received 14" of snow Memorial Day weekend in one day. Watch the weather the closer you get. It may call for rain in Denver and Grand Junction, but it will be snowing in the mountains.
Thanks, Debbie Downer. :D

I'll keep an eye on the weather as the time draws near. I do appreciate the advice guys, thanks!

-Jay

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's been 15-16 years ago, woke up in Leadville with a couple inches of snow on the bike........on July 5.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wasn't trying to your day. The weather can be so unpredictable in the spring at higher elevation. It may 75 in Denver and snowing on the west side of the continental divide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live 30 miles west of Avon, the weather can be different either direction within a 25 mile radius. Just watch the sky. The wife and I left Wamego KS. one morning on may30th at 75 degrees by the time we hit Vail pass that day it was freezing and snowing, by the time we got to Avon we were drying out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts