Road Glide banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my bike in numerous pieces lying around the garage at the moment and I'm trying to put it back together in my mind before actually doing so. I had just gotten done with the makeover and had only had it back 2 1/2 weeks when I wrecked it on the Cherohola Skyway on the last day of our SW trip. The bike looked great, but as anyone knows when your doing something like that, the thought sometimes goes through your mind of "If I had it to over again, I'd change _____" Well, I'm at that point. I'm already gonna change the rear fender and saddlebags to ones with a more swept rear end. I'm also considering a different inner fairing for more speakers, and a few other little changes too. The big thing I can't decide upon is a "drop seat kit" It would lower me of course which wouldn't be a bad thing. I've always wanted to be down in the bike more and in the pocket of less air turbulence. My question is "Would I be adversely affecting my touring comfort?" I guess that would depend a lot on the seat, but just not sure about it. Now would certainly be the time to do it if there ever was a right time. Thoughts?

·
Shark of the Month October 13
12,819 Posts
Richard, I'm sure whatever you do will turn out looking great. She's always been a head turner, even before your recent 'facelift'. Do you have any knee issues? I ask only because lowering the seat will affect the distance from the seat to floorboards and if you have any knee issues it certainly is very likely to exacerbate them. At one point I put a seat on that was an inch or so lower that what I was used to and it killed my knees - I was constantly shifting my legs around to avoid the pain. Of course mine are 'old man knees'. :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
By the looks of your Trip Logs in your sig pic you look like enjoy traveling. That drops seat kit may put a damper on that. I agree with all 3 of the posts before me on this one.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You could do a mock-up using a chair or stool with the same length from seat to floor boards as the drop seat. Also with your handle bar height on something else while they are off anyway. It might look goofy sitting on a stool holding your handle bars but you'd get a feel for it. Just a thought.
Have Donna take a picture. I'm sure we'd all love to see that one.
Good luck anyway you do it.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could do a mock-up using a chair or stool with the same length from seat to floor boards as the drop seat. Also with your handle bar height on something else while they are off anyway. It might look goofy sitting on a stool holding your handle bars but you'd get a feel for it. Just a thought.
Have Donna take a picture. I'm sure we'd all love to see that one.
Good luck anyway you do it.
I've tried it with the seat off the bike just sitting on the frame. Height seems fine but the comments have almost got me scared to try it. I know where I can try one out so I'll give that a shot. May just skip it anyway, got a lot of money to spend already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.