Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a set of spokes but Im driving myself crazy shopping for them. First of size I like the 23" but about 50/50 of the people I talk to say I will need a rake kit or wont need to rake it. One person said that I won't have to rake it but will need bump stops? Not sure what that is or what they do. If I do need to rake it for a 23" I will probably just go with the 21". Then it comes to what brand, sinister and ride wright are nice but can get a set of DNAs for about half price. Again I've heard good and bad with DNA but most of the bad was from years ago, have they gotten better? Anyone out there running a set of DNA fat spokes that can give me some info on them?

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I need a set of spokes but Im driving myself crazy shopping for them. First of size I like the 23" but about 50/50 of the people I talk to say I will need a rake kit or wont need to rake it. One person said that I won't have to rake it but will need bump stops? Not sure what that is or what they do. If I do need to rake it for a 23" I will probably just go with the 21". Then it comes to what brand, sinister and ride wright are nice but can get a set of DNAs for about half price. Again I've heard good and bad with DNA but most of the bad was from years ago, have they gotten better? Anyone out there running a set of DNA fat spokes that can give me some info on them?
My first step, hook up with your dealer and see what they have "In The Back" as cats always upgrade their shit and then leave at the dealer - They typically have a room FILLED with take off that they will part with for cheap....and by that I mean, pay the labor and usually the parts come in at $0.00...........at least in my experience.

Reach out to a wheel Mfg named "Dubya" out of SoCal as they do a ton in the spoke world........to what extent for HD, don't know but they make a damn good wheel - As for the '23 or '21......................no idea man

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first step, hook up with your dealer and see what they have "In The Back" as cats always upgrade their shit and then leave at the dealer - They typically have a room FILLED with take off that they will part with for cheap....and by that I mean, pay the labor and usually the parts come in at $0.00...........at least in my experience.

Reach out to a wheel Mfg named "Dubya" out of SoCal as they do a ton in the spoke world........to what extent for HD, don't know but they make a damn good wheel - As for the '23 or '21......................no idea man
Thanks Eddie but it looks like they only do wheels for dirt bikes and such.

talk to these guys. they've been around the motorcycle wheel for 60 years.

https://www.buchananspokes.com/
Thanks but Im looking for fat spokes not laced and it looks like these guys only do laced.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Motorcycle Rake and Trail Calculator

The overall diameter of the wheel and tire combination is what is going to make the difference in handling.

Sliding the forks up in the triple trees (if you can on your bike) will help retain the stock rake and trail but you could possibly risk bottoming out the wheel/fender on the frame depending on current fork angle and suspension travel length.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm running a 23" with HHI 6* trees and stock length Monotubes.

IMHO, if you don't want to change trees, stick with the 21".

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm running a 21" Ultima king spoke and love em so far with no problems. hit some good pot holes with no problem and I like the way they handle and corner better than stock. Ultima and DNA seem to be the best on price and not really sure the difference between them and the big dollar of the same design except price. As for fitment 21" would be the biggest without raking. The only mod for 21" was to tilt the fender by overboring the mounting holes, or add a fender riser which personally I think looks funny. My garage shows what I got if you have any more questions. Ebay seems to have the best deals on em but gotta constantly check every few days cause the prices seem to rise and fall pretty fast.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm running a 21" Ultima king spoke and love em so far with no problems. hit some good pot holes with no problem and I like the way they handle and corner better than stock. Ultima and DNA seem to be the best on price and not really sure the difference between them and the big dollar of the same design except price. As for fitment 21" would be the biggest without raking. The only mod for 21" was to tilt the fender by overboring the mounting holes, or add a fender riser which personally I think looks funny. My garage shows what I got if you have any more questions. Ebay seems to have the best deals on em but gotta constantly check every few days cause the prices seem to rise and fall pretty fast.
Awesome thanks man! Looks like Im gonna stick with the 21", don't want to mess with the rake.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
My first step, hook up with your dealer and see what they have "In The Back" as cats always upgrade their shit and then leave at the dealer - They typically have a room FILLED with take off that they will part with for cheap....and by that I mean, pay the labor and usually the parts come in at $0.00...........at least in my experience
I love reading these stories about dealers giving away take-offs or doing anything for free. I went in for an inspection and one of my LED tail lights was out. They guy took a stock lens and bulb out of a bin filled with take offs. Yes, it was on my bill when I paid. I guess I hate dealers so much because I never lived by a good one.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I love reading these stories about dealers giving away take-offs or doing anything for free. I went in for an inspection and one of my LED tail lights was out. They guy took a stock lens and bulb out of a bin filled with take offs. Yes, it was on my bill when I paid. I guess I hate dealers so much because I never lived by a good one.
A lot goes into cultivating a good relationship with a dealer - I have been going to my shop for over (10) years and gotten to know many of the guys on a personal level - "hey_____how is your Uncle after that Heart Surgery" kind of thing.......that and every time they do me a solid...........$75-$100 in Pizza goes a LOOOOOOONG way - It does not just happen over night and you cannot just ask for free shit.......I always give them the chance to beat internet pricing too and if they can't and its $10 more or some nominal fee, I go through them anyways and be sure to let them know that I "could have" gone a different route but chose to stand by you guys........that and referrals man........I tell all my buddies, "Give them a shot at your business and make them earn it" and if they do, everyone is happy....if they don't....well......we all learn something that day

Its a process really.....

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm running a 21" black fat spoke from HogPro. Used to be a sponsor here. Have had zero issues with it. Always heard the problems with DNA leaking or cracking.Like you said, that seemed to be a while ago. My wheel is a tubeless but I still run with a tube.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts