Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'd like to do this right the first time so I thought I might ask about what you've been happy with. I want some good clear speakers to replace the stock ones but not sure if an amp is necessary too. Will a speaker upgrade alone make that much of a difference or do I go all out and install an amp too? Eventually I will be getting the saddlebag lids and speakers back there but to start I'm going for front upgrade only. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Having just done this last week, here is my .02....buy a set of decent component speakers, the best u can afford...Focal, Soundstream, JL audio are a few great brands ...mount the tweeters in the fairing in place of 2 gauges(u pick) and yes , DEFINITELY use an amp. The sound difference and quality is night and day with the copmponents and an amp.
Don't, I repeat do not buy a cheap set of E-bay speaker adapters, use the Hawg Wired adapters as they bolt in perfectly in 5 minutes.
Solder ALL your connections, even though you will be tempted to use quick connects, don't do it.
You can get a good set of speakers , amp, and adapters for less than $400.

Money well spent in my opinion as my system sound excellent.

Good luck and let us know what u decide.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
If you plan to upgrade, definitely get an amp also, as you probably already know after about 3/4 volume the OEM stereo starts to distort, with new speakers it doesn't get any better. You need a little power to push your speakers. Do a search through the audio threads to get some ideas.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Been running J&M's on my last two bikes. Have checked out other systems but have been perfectly happy with them. Customer service and support is second to none as well. Oh and spring for an amp if you want the most out of an upgrade.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here is my sound system....Although the bike has gone thru a MAJOR transformation, the amp and speakers are the same. The deck is still an Alpine, but no CD player...Alpine ida-x305s with iPod classic in glove compartment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqcKdgekChE
Definitely a party on wheels. Funny how the sound changed walking around your bike at different angles .

·
Registered
117 Posts
Check out Hawgwired and definetly change your head unit. I have a 400 Watt Amp with 6.5 speakers (2 in my lower Fairing) and I'm still not pleased with my tunes. Now I'm looking at a JVC marine head deck for only $109....should have changed my deck the first time....mo money, mo money. Good luck, its a great process:D

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have a hog tunes amp I'll sell ya for $75 plus shipping. I bought it as a package deal cause I wanted the speakers. I paid $150 for the set. It doesn't look like it's ever been hooked up. I did buy it off another forum member :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts