Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer my father and I will be taking a road trip from NY to Montana. We already have a number of scenic routes and roads we want to take. Unfortunately we will be limited to 2 weeks due to my vacation schedule at work.

My first question is specific can you recommend in which direction we should ride the Going to the Sun Road, should it be west-east or east-west.
In addition any suggestions on routes/restaurants/places to stay would be greatly appreciated.

I have never been out that far west before and wish I had more time but I am sure it will be a great trip regardless and I know I have the right bike for it!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I've always enjoyed west to east, be throttle up, time of day n all, co-rider enjoys the view gliding down.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have rode it both ways 8 years ago & can't remember if one way is better. For as far as your coming from ya may as well plan on seeing it both ways. Lots of stopping & looking around. I'm lookingforward to seeing it again soon. Have a great trip.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip. I've never had the opportunity to ride MT. My uncle has talked about riding Beartooth Pass a lot and if you can get to it I think it would be an awesome ride.

www.beartoothhighway.com/

Have a great ride, be safe.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I like West to East that way your to the outside of the road. Butler maps makes a great Montana map that shows a bunch of scenic roads that might help you.

W

·
0 Posts
I live in Western Montana and have ridden both ways. The West side is the more beautiful side with plenty of places to stay around Columbia Falls. Hungry Horse also has places to stay but may be more expensive. It is a neat little town to visit and get some eats. The West side brings you into a very nice ride along the shore of McDonald Lake. Soon after that will be Trail of the Cedars and a nice walk on a boardwalk then onto upper trail. This is known Grizzly Country. Ask me how I know. lol From there you will see what's called the Glacier Wall and then on to Logan Pass. A hike up on Logan Pass is an absolute must. There is generally a large group of Mountain Goats around the hillside prior to the parking lot. There is a very nice trail that ascends at a nice rate and once on top of the trail there is a fantastic view of Hidden Lake and valley below. There are waterfalls all over the park and some snow patches that have the occasional Grizzly Bear on it.

Heading East takes you along side St Mary Lake and eventually out of the Park into the town of Browning that is Reservation land and not generally a place to spend the night.

For a bunch of great state info and to get some brochures please go to the website visitmt.com.

If you would like, you can also PM when your heading this way and if I'm around I can show you some of the local sights and get you heading in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Can tell ya

Listen to him about Browning, wev've rode these areas extensively for yrs, camped many areas, the HOME BAR in Troy recently returned to a haven... Browning is not biker friendly, even avooid gas there. You can pack in MT.

·
Registered
569 Posts
it really doesn't matter it is all pretty nice. Make sure you take in Glacier national park, and just pull off on some side roads in small towns and get drunk and camp. We had a blast in Lincoln last year and slept in the back yard of a little bar and had great service the gal staed open until 3am for us. Good luck your gonna love the rides.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I prefer west to east. But, either way, be alert and don't ride close to the center line!! Cars/trucks will be over the center line and in your lane on most of the turns.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like a nice trip. I've never had the opportunity to ride MT. My uncle has talked about riding Beartooth Pass a lot and if you can get to it I think it would be an awesome ride.

Bear Tooth Pass and the Chief Joseff Highway are both on our agenda. Thank you all for your help/advice. I think from your suggestions and what I've read we'll be riding the Going to the Sun Highway west to east. Also thank you for the warnings about Browning its always good to travel safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts