Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a list timken bearings for our bikes, I have the 2010 ABS

I have been attempting to re-tool and get back to doing my own, nothing bad against the system, just finding it less work in the end

then you have the tools and knowledge for next time

on the very strong side of replacing OE bearings with better timken bearings

front bearings barely turned after 25k mi, looser on the right hand side, lubed them up and let them sit, seemed acceptable so I put them back on the bike.

rear bearing aren't finger turning at all.

a. first, is this normal? I have heard that the rears won't finger turn

b. front, I've also heard those have different resistance, for ABS reasons

in this situation, I'm thinking replacing them all with some old school timken brand bearings would be the advantageous thing to do.

so does anyone have any leads on a good shop or tech that could order the parts, or p/n's including what type of puller works best?

or expert advice or what to do, check for and some big brain common sense?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
362 Posts
does anyone have a list timken bearings for our bikes, I have the 2010 ABS

I have been attempting to re-tool and get back to doing my own, nothing bad against the system, just finding it less work in the end

then you have the tools and knowledge for next time

on the very strong side of replacing OE bearings with better timken bearings

front bearings barely turned after 25k mi, looser on the right hand side, lubed them up and let them sit, seemed acceptable so I put them back on the bike.

rear bearing aren't finger turning at all.

a. first, is this normal? I have heard that the rears won't finger turn

b. front, I've also heard those have different resistance, for ABS reasons

in this situation, I'm thinking replacing them all with some old school timken brand bearings would be the advantageous thing to do.

so does anyone have any leads on a good shop or tech that could order the parts, or p/n's including what type of puller works best?

or expert advice or what to do, check for and some big brain common sense?

thanks in advance
HD went from the 3/4" axle with the tapered roller bearing we could repack with grease. To a 1" axle with the sealed bearings, to the 25mm axles currently being used now with the INA bearings.

Because you have the ABS system there is no direct replacement for the sensor INA encoder bearing for the ABS. The best option is to change these bearings front and rear when you put on new tires. This wont guarantee that a bearing wont fail between tire changes but will lower the chance of it.

If you want to get the tool to remove the bearings and install them Georges Garage has a kit #740010 >>
http://www.georges-garage.com/chassis_tools.htm

The other 2 tools you will need for the rear tire removal is # 740050 & 740060

Tom

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wasn't really planning on spending $700 in tools

wouldn't a slide hammer with attachments work okay?

re: the bearings, I guess I could remove the dust caps and inspect, see if there's anything left

I appreciate the effort of dealers 110% at this point, knowing they are more than likely swapping these out all day, everyday

1 - 3 of 3 Posts