Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2019 Road Glide Special with the 114 motor. I'v put about 2000 miles on it so far and only problem was the oil transfer from transmission to primary. The dealer has installed the vent kit under warranty. The only change I have done to the drivetrain is a set of Rhinhart slip ons. The weather has been very warm for this time of year but the heat coming of the bike is unbearable. I think the answer would be to decat the headers but then I would need to install a tuner and that will void the warranty. Don't know if I can wait the two years until out of warranty?

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
If you do decide to decat the header, you can purchase a oem decatted header from the auction site pretty reasonable price. This way you can keep your header for just in case. Others may know more than I, but the ox sensors are before the cat and if your state does not have epa test for motorcycles, no issues there. Also, a Harley tech would have to have a reason to look under the bike to see a different weld on the exhaust pipe. Not sure if when a tech access the ecm, it has the ability to detect exhaust flow, etc. Yes, a tune would be good to do and a Harley tune keeps your warranty, but not the best tune out there.

I did all the above, HD tune, stage 1 and street cannons, it worked for me and I have not had any issues with the Harley dealer.

Like I mentioned, other will know more than I.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Pickup an OEM header and decat yourself. You don't have to cut and weld. I drilled one out, just took a couple of hours. That way you still have your stock header.
Then, get the SEPST.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
You can always buy the engine fan. I hear they work well pulling the heat off the riders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm Having the same problem, wife complaining about the heat coming up from exhaust. Is there another guard that can keep the heat away from the passenger, or am I better off changing the exhaust? I have the blacked out motor and like the looks.

2019 RGS 114 motor

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the same complaint on my 2018 RGS. Warranty is my concern too, extra 2 yrs worth. While moving, place your right hand below the seat, the heat seems to be coming from the rear cylinder area out the right side, above the cat(negligible on the left side). Not sure how much decatting will improve this. With the cylinders growing in diameter with larger displacement engines, there's less open space. Looks like the coolflow fan accessory may be the most effective means to shed the heat away from rider/passenger.

I plan on installing the warranty friendly SE pro street tuner for performance gains and possibly slightly less heat from a richer mixture. The coolflow fan may be the my next upgrade after that. Along with diverting heat away from rider/passenger, it has to be pulling extra heat off the rear jug. Down side is it shuts off above 40mph.

My.02

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Whatever choice you make, keep in mind the warranty implications. If you're going to tune, don't let the dealer do anything other than the HD approved Street Tuner (EPA compliant). If you gut the CAT, keep one completely stock head pipe in reserve in case you ever have a major power train warranty issue. Also, don't use any other AC except the Harley "Stage 1" AC variations. Basically, all HD EPA approved "performance" parts. The Rinehart mufflers shouldn't throw any flags, so you should be good there.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Wasn't speaking specifically of DT flags, speaking of the kind that the dealer might throw or what grenades the mother ship might throw if they start asking for descriptions, documentation, pictures etc.

He's already dropped the coin on the mufflers, so I figured they would be staying one way or another. In reality the stock M8 AC flows more than enough intake volume as is, but my dealer won't do a "Stage 1" tune without the slip ons and "upgraded" intake. Not sure it's worth risking an after market AC when there are a couple of approved options available.

That was my point.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Took mine in with non Harley A/C S&s slips decatted header to have vent tube put in. Didn't say anything to me just installed vent and away I went.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My '17 RGS with a Big Sucker AC, PV Tuner, stock header with cat and V&H HOs runs much better, and cooler, than it did stock. The main reason I bought the tuner was to cool down the engine, and it did. However, had I done it during warranty time, it would have been by-bye coverage. I left the cat in because everything I have read says taking it out results in little or no performance improvement; I am leaving well enough alone.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I'm Having the same problem, wife complaining about the heat coming up from exhaust. Is there another guard that can keep the heat away from the passenger, or am I better off changing the exhaust? I have the blacked out motor and like the looks.

2019 RGS 114 motor
IMO, and I ride a 16 twin cooled RGU, check out a fan assisted oil cooler, like a JAGG and the HD cool-flow fan that mounts behind the rear jug, blowing hot air down and back. Its my understanding for the M8 the CAT is moved back more towards the passenger than a TC. The side mounted fans will bring the engine temp down, but that hot air is directed to your right leg...also the captain itch deflectors have pretty good review...what is your wife wearing for footwear?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just changed mine. Tuned by the dealer with the Screaming Eagle Tuner. No warranty issues and significant heat reduction. Real happy, went with the Rinehart Slime Line Dual headpipe. Already had the 4.5 slipons. Was surprised by the sound increase under throttle, granted part was the Power Cam and part the headpipe, but overall, well worth the money.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
@wevsspot, I wasn't speaking to DT either, just flags in general, and an A/C will not become an issue with any dealer I know of. Even my local dealer that seems to be sticking to the letter of the law from MoCo hasn't even batted an eye at choosing an aftermarket A/C or slip-ons. Most places may not even check to see if the headpipe has been decatted but you never know. The big no-no is the tuner though. I understood what you were saying but I just haven't heard of the slightest issue with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
IMO, and I ride a 16 twin cooled RGU, check out a fan assisted oil cooler, like a JAGG and the HD cool-flow fan that mounts behind the rear jug, blowing hot air down and back. Its my understanding for the M8 the CAT is moved back more towards the passenger than a TC. The side mounted fans will bring the engine temp down, but that hot air is directed to your right leg...also the captain itch deflectors have pretty good review...what is your wife wearing for footwear?
She had on Capri pants and sneakers. Long pants and boots made a big difference, even on a hot day. Just not used to the exhaust right by her feet.

Thanks,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts