Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a RGS (17) and have an inseam problem. I would like my feet to be flatter on the ground. What air shock would be recommended to give me the most drop or at least more than stock? Tried to research but no luck.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Would help to know what your inseam is, to figure out how much you need.
You have the narrow primary cover which is a big help.

Just remember that the lower you go, the less clearance you will have when cornering.
Iam 5-6 with 29/30" inseam and have a 2" under springs in the front legs and I bottom out in turns and when pulling into my driveway.
Knowing what I know now, I would have gone to modifying my seat first

Reactions: beatlesfab4fan

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
You can get a lowering kit on flea-bay for about $30. I know several people using these kits and they like em.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Personally I would avoid lowering the bike more than an inch. You would be much better off having the seat modified. You would be amazed by what shaving a little off the sides of the seat and a touch just below the horn of the seat will do.

There are a number of companies who can do this including a few who can turn it around in a matter of days.

You can also get memory foam and gel pads and still get the modifications to lower yourself in the saddle.

Hope this helps,

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 5'-7" with a 30" inseam the seat looks like if it was altered it would not be comfortable for long rides. Would be cool to put on air shocks and lower when getting off and then raising for riding.....

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I'm 5'-7" with a 30" inseam the seat looks like if it was altered it would not be comfortable for long rides. Would be cool to put on air shocks and lower when getting off and then raising for riding.....
whats your budget? theres air ride setg ups from $2/300 up to over $2000. if you are considering air ride then search for the Monroe DIY air ride on this forum. theres several pages of info to read regarding that set up. theres also Dirty Air boxed set up which is basically the Monroes only in an all in one box. theses are basically entry level set ups. i have the monroes and i like it. its nothing fancy but works for me. theres better brands out there but will cost you several hundys if not thousands more. theres a lot you can do it just depends on what your wallet allows

·
Registered
330 Posts
C&C seats make some great seats that will lower you an inch and still give you a great ride.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I used progressive mono tubes up front dropped out an inch and have the p&a cvo solo seat. It's low. And comfortable.

·
Registered
307 Posts
When I purchased my 2017 RGU, I had them put a Reach seat on it. I’m 5’7” and 29/30” inseam. It gave me a flat-footed stance with some bend in the knees. It’s a very heavy bike, and I’m probably a little more cautious than need be when turning or maueuvering slowly, but one thing I cannot do is rock the bike forward to get it off the EZ-Up center stand. Just don’t have the legs for it. I have to either drive it off (okay unless the pavement is slick), or get off it, put the jiffy stand down, and rock the bike off the center stand. I didn’t want to give up any of the cornering clearance, so I haven’t done anything else, but would love to know more about those cheap lowering kits for the rear that simply reposition the shocks. Can anyone say they are happy with them, and to what extent did they affect cornering?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The idea is to be able to lower the bike enough at stop because it is so heavy don't want to lay it down. Maybe an inch at the most. Don't want to go the seat route stock seat looks uncomfortable may be changing. The Monroe system sounds promising. Who sells this kit? Thanks for all the input much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
When I purchased my 2017 RGU, I had them put a Reach seat on it. I’m 5’7” and 29/30” inseam. It gave me a flat-footed stance with some bend in the knees. It’s a very heavy bike, and I’m probably a little more cautious than need be when turning or maueuvering slowly, but one thing I cannot do is rock the bike forward to get it off the EZ-Up center stand. Just don’t have the legs for it. I have to either drive it off (okay unless the pavement is slick), or get off it, put the jiffy stand down, and rock the bike off the center stand. I didn’t want to give up any of the cornering clearance, so I haven’t done anything else, but would love to know more about those cheap lowering kits for the rear that simply reposition the shocks. Can anyone say they are happy with them, and to what extent did they affect cornering?
You might not be able to put it on the centerstand if you lower the bike instead of the seat.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm sorry but I am a huge fan of seat mods over slamming the bike. OK let me modify that statement a bit, if you want to be able to ride the bike try the seat mod. If you want to put it in bike shows and not ride it, slam the hell out of it.

I'm a runt at 5' 6.5" and a 30" inseam and with a good seat mod and 1" of lowering (more for the look than anything else, I still have a ton of lean angle) I can flat foot my 15 with no problems.

Lowering the scoot 2 or 3 inches will severly inhibit your ability to corner the bike, which could affect your ability to avoid an obsticle or dumbass driver in your path.

Good luck with your choice,

Mike

·
Registered
80 Posts
lowering

I got covington lowering blocks or whatever they call the from Revzilla. I am 5'8" and have a 30" inseam. i put Ohlins on the rear that are shorty at 12 1/4". the lowering blocks don't help your ride, as the angle of the shock changes, but the good shock makes the ride way better than stock shock. riding two-up i don't ever bottom out! With the Ohlins i can actually enjoy riding the unwieldy beast. i bottomed out once on a off-ramp while two-up taking the corner as i would in the car which i don't normally do...by myself i don't think i ever did more than a millisecond scrape.
i just added the progressive tubes up front. i went stock height. the added stability up front gives me more confidence at low speed! The front end is no longer a dive bomb piece....well you know what i'm saying.
I've done all the seat mods imaginable.I had a Sundowner factory LOW seat that i had modified to make it lower, and that seat is good all day for a hundred miles and gets you low. the seat and the lowering blocks will be bliss for us shorties! i now have an Ulra Low seat with the lowering blocks and it's higher but plush compared to the Sundowner. I can ride over two hours in that seat without giving up too much around town as far getting my feet down.
i have tried every seat in town to get the wife comfortable as she is 5'9" and the ultra seat is her most comfy choice and the Sundowner is a close second....sooooooo close.
the seat i liked the best for comfort AND looks is the La Pera. The wife didn't like it, and i think it had more to do with her no longer being up high! She hated looking into the back of my head.

Anyway, to land the plane....Covington lowering blocks! They are good for me. They only drop 1" so don't expect anything more, but that 1" is magic!

·
Registered
684 Posts
FWIW, lower is not the real problem. The real problem is the sides of the seat. They push your legs out away from the bike which for those of us who are vertically challenged, makes life very difficult. Thats why shaving the sides of the seat where the insides of the thighs are will help greatly reduce the angle out of the legs thereby allowing the feet to much more easily reach the ground.

Hope this helps,

BTW in case you didnt catch on I'm not a fan of dropping the bike more than an inch when there are better options, that wont hinder the lean angle of the bike. Lean angle is you friend.

Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just bought a RGS (17) and have an inseam problem. I would like my feet to be flatter on the ground. What air shock would be recommended to give me the most drop or at least more than stock? Tried to research but no luck.

Thanks in advance

Same issue here. I lowered front 1” using progressive mono tubes. P&a low profile seat and Skully air ride rear. The air ride allows you to lower for comfort in parking situations but ride at factory height for cornering. Like my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
IMO the stock seat sucks, go with a quality seat maker and get a lowered, shaved seat that will be more comfortable than stock. Keep your lean angle and the already miniscule rear travel. A custom seat is by far the best option.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Lower the rider, not the scooter.

Lowering the scooter does three things, and two of them are bad.

It does put your feet closer to the ground, and for some it has that look when parked.

But it also removes lean angle and it removes suspension travel.

·
Registered
197 Posts
5-7 here and as others have said, your best option is the seat. I paid good money to shave, lower, move position forward and add memory gel. Seat is comfortable, I ride 250 mile rides without issue. I do have Dirty Air shocks on the back, but i do not use it for riding low as the ride will suffer and lean angle suffers too. I have scraped the bike and bottomed hard running low. The Dirty Air is for dropping it on the center stand and for looking good in the parking lot. I added a 21" front wheel, which will require a 1.5" drop in front which i am doing with Progressive Springs.

Do yourself a favor, listen to the majority on here and start with the seat. Wear boots too, it will give you almost another inch of reach to the ground. Also make sure you are riding in the correct spot in the saddle, and not too far back.

For the seat, send it to Mean City Cycles or find a local seat builder.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I forgot to mention that I flat foot my 15 with sneeks on.

Mean City Cycles has gotten rave reviews and mine will be going out to be completely reworked by them sometime this winter. (I want to keep the seat but add memory foam and gel to make it more comfortable on longer rides)

Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts