Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did an inspection inside the crankcase. Found these three issues. The chipped gear tooth I don't think is a big deal. I'm going to blend it smooth and so should be ok for a while.
The chain tensioner is no biggie either, but what do y'all think about the clutch hub eating into the case a little. I'd guesstimate about .010".
I'm lookin to get another 6 thousand miles or so out of it. I'll change it after Sharkweek. I overhauled the starter and it was good to go. The terminals were nasty with corrosion so I cleaned them shiny and put Stabilitant 22 on them so that should take care of the starter drag issue.
I'm mainly concerned about doing too much harm to the tranny with a clutch or main bearing going soft. ImageUploadedByMO Free1372037589.078072.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1372037605.799174.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I have the same gouge in my inner primary wall. Did you inspect the inner primary bearing and race? Based on the wear on your chain tensioner I would figure the primary bearing and race are probably shot. 2 people had primary bearings go out last year on the way to Shark Week.

Pull the clutch hub and take a look. If there is any wear I would replace it before you leave for shark week. I would also recommend replacing the stock chain tensioner with the Hayden. If money is no object replace the stock compensator for the SE one too.

Based on that gouge I think it's safe to assume either the inner primary bearing or the trans main bearing are bad, maybe both.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike has 67,000 miles on it, I'm somewhat easy on it. I may have to be till I get back from SWIII....for sure!
I haven't notice any noise, it has been making some fuzz, but I think that's coming from the rollers on the chain due to the gear tooth. I found the chips just before 60k mileage so it's got roughly 7 k on it since the fuzz.

I'm going to clean the case out real well and ride it and see.....I just don't have the money to go through it like it should be until I get back. If worse comes to worse, that'd mean not going to SWIII........

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hulhorr, I know you did an awesome job documenting your rebuild, would you possibly have the particulars for the kit, tools, prices? etc.???

Girlfriend says "Make the bike right".....good woman! :D And I'm not crazy about worrying whether it's gonna make it or not. I don't want to risk it with her on the bike and the both of us going to SWIII

Any input you could give me would help insure I can make it there! Thanks in advance....and I'll be doing my homework on this end.....such as which pullers I need as opposed to what I or work has....being an aircraft mechanic has it's advantages!!!!

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I would just be concerned with the inner primary bearing and race for now. Once you take the clutch hub, compensator, and the inner primary case off you can grab ahold of the mainshaft coming out of the transmission and see if you have any movement. If the movement is minimal I wouldn't worry about the trans before your trip if it's not making any noises.

I could have probably held off a while before doing my trans bearings, but I was chasing noises.

Here is a link to two places for the inner primary race removal and install tool. Georges garage is one and MBSmfg. is the other. MBS sells there stuff on ebay and is a little less expensive. Georges Garage is where I bought the majority of my transmission tools. You will need a shop press to remove and install the new bearing in the rear primary case cover.

You can have my original chain tensioner if you want. It was still in great shape, but I highly recommend you go with the Hayden tensioner. PM me your address if you decide you want my old one and I'll send it to you.

http://georges-garage.com/trans_06_up.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Big-Twin-Transmission-Mainshaft-Inner-Bearing-Race-Tool-Installer-Puller-/271221116637?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2609cedd&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
When you check the mainshaft for any movement, you will need to loosen the rear axle nut to create some slack in the belt. The parts you will need for the primary bearing & race are:

34091-08 Race
9231 Bearing
12052A Seal
60678-85 Retaining Ring
34934-06 Gasket
34901-07 Gasket
786A Sealing bolts (5)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL!!! I just PM'ed you! I went straight to my CP and did it, and you were here posting!
I'll do all the above, I need to go the minimal route right now, but if it needs it, it's definitely getting chunked!
I appreciate the offer on the tensioner, but I got the Hayden on the way already, should be here Thursday.
As I said in the PM, I'm going to pull the clutch and check measurement/movement on the shaft. Don't have any noise that I'm chasing, so that's good.
Right now I'm thinking like you, primary and/or clutch bearing. But I'm gonna throw in the SE comp. and a new drive chain and sprocket since the old sprocket has the chip in it and the chain rollers show evidence of pitting and damage. I'd like to changed the clutch hub, and probably should, but just can't swing too much money right now. I'll make a final determination soon. Just trying to balance need versus SWIII money/time......

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Glad to hear the GF talked you in to fixin your ride. It would suck the fun right out of a road trip to have your bike crap out on you. Not to mention wondering about it the whole time. Good luck with the repairs.

Rowdy

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you check the mainshaft for any movement, you will need to loosen the rear axle nut to create some slack in the belt. The parts you will need for the primary bearing & race are:

34091-08 Race
9231 Bearing
12052A Seal
60678-85 Retaining Ring
34934-06 Gasket
34901-07 Gasket
786A Sealing bolts (5)
EXCELLENT THANK YOU!!! I really appreciate your help! I'm battling a time issue...at least I don't want to run into a time issue....IT'S ONE MONTH TO SWIII LEAVE DATE!!!!:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK......HEADED TO THE GARAGE!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to hear the GF talked you in to fixin your ride. It would suck the fun right out of a road trip to have your bike crap out on you. Not to mention wondering about it the whole time. Good luck with the repairs.

Rowdy
Thanks Rowdy!!! Yeah, she's a good girl who helps keep me and my perspectives where they should be!!! I really appreciate her and all you guys helping me out!!!!

Talk soon....got some rippin' and tearin' ta do!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ImageUploadedByMO Free1372108049.971123.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1372108064.508435.jpg

These are three pieces of the spline and you can see inside the clutch basket hole where the spline is destroyed
Good news is the primary case bearing seems strong nice and tight and smooth

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another close-up picture
ImageUploadedByMO Free1372108185.453959.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1372108197.556745.jpg
In the real close close-up picture you can see if you look closely a small piece of the spline sitting diagonally

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Good catch! That sure explains the ring gear contact on your inner primary. Did you pull the inner off? I believe those spline shards are considered a source of primary support bearing wear/failure. If you haven't pulled the inner, you probably should.

Another symptom of a primary chain adjuster that runs too tight.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good catch! That sure explains the ring gear contact on your inner primary. Did you pull the inner off? I believe those spline shards are considered a source of primary support bearing wear/failure. If you haven't pulled the inner, you probably should.

Another symptom of a primary chain adjuster that runs too tight.
I haven't yet, soon......Thanks!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well.......$900 later, and I have all new primary case parts comin' in.....ordered the clutch kit, primary chain, SE comp, and primary case bearing, seals, seal bolts and gaskets.......!

Glad I don't have any BIG ROAD TRIPS comin' up in EXACTLY A MONTH!!!:eek::mad:

That's gonna put a bite in my "Extra-Curricular Activities".....!:mad:!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I was gonna say, you sure seemed in good spirits for a guy about to drop a bunch of cash... did you order a whole new clutch basket? Seems like a lot of money. I thought the hub and a new bearing is about $250.

At least you'll have piece of mind when on the road.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I was gonna say, you sure seemed in good spirits for a guy about to drop a bunch of cash... did you order a whole new clutch basket? Seems like a lot of money. I thought the hub and a new bearing is about $250.

At least you'll have piece of mind when on the road.
Well.....the alternative is to drink myself into a coma!:eek: Fortunately I don't have any more money for beer!:eek::mad::D

And yeah......the piece of mind thing......! That'd be good at 120 degrees in the middle of no-where with a Hot blooded Irish/Indian girlfriend who when she over heats is THE DEVIL!!!:eek:

Oh, and for the piece of mind I decided to go with the SE compensator with a new sprocket and chain, because the comp sprocket had a chipped tooth and the chain was showing signs of damage from it.....my clutch was getting thin, and I said, "Ya know what? 67,000 miles now, I oughta just bite the bullet" Everything will be new and I won't have to worry about it! By the time I go through and check everything for wear/damage from the metal shavings it'd be so much work, I'd just as soon just put new parts on.....

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you're right about the $250, but the whole kit brand new is only $422, so, not too bad in the long run.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts