Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I purchased a LRS 12" Stingray windshield for my 16 RG and I have installed it and I am now experiencing a ton of lower negative air coming up around the tank or so it seems.
The windshield seems to fit my height and riding posture very well, I can see over the top of the shield without the top edge getting into my view and I really like the look of the 12" height, it fits the bike very well.
After riding in most conditions (slow speed, freeway speeds, night ride and foggy morning ride) in the past couple of days I am experiencing a good amount of negative air pulsing around my gut and chest area, this did not exist with the OEM shorty shield.... I also have a set of Ebay lower fairings installed on the bike, I have tried all combinations of air ducts being open, closed, partially opened, partially closed, top vent open, bottoms closed, top vent closed bottoms opened etc etc etc. Nothing I do with the vents will make it go away.
Has anyone else experienced this ? It seems like the re direction of the air with the new windshield is pulling air up from below the tank.... Will the little air defector scoops fix this ?
I was thinking about making some shims to put behind the windshield to change the angle the air comes off the windshield at. Im no aero engineer but my initial thoughts are that this would help as I know the aero package on these Rushmore bikes is very very good in stock form.
Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
That's very strange.

I have the 10" & 13" LRS Stingray's and haven't had any issues with bad air flow.

I also have lowers on my 2015 RGS.

I keep the lowers open and I keep all three vents open, and it's great.

Good luck on finding your solution fix.

Swomack
You also have tall Apes with you arms in a different position that affect the flow of air compared to stock bars.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I always have a jacket on which would diminish the affect of buffeting around the body compared to riding in a T-shirt. As long as I don't get head buffeting I am happy.

When you said negative pressure I was imagining feeling wind behind you pushing you forward which can happen if all the vents are closed. On my sport touring bikes, with electric windshield adjustments and no vents, I could adjust the windshield where it would be pushing me forward into the bars.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 14" west coast t bars on the bike, so my arms are at just below shoulder height directly in front of my torso. The negative air creates almost a swirling zone right at chest and torso. I have been feeling around for channeling air while riding and it does feel like its coming up from below the gas tank. I feel like the HD wind deflectors may work for this. I will post pics and findings once installed.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I was feeling around for air yesterday on my 15 RGS. Fairing vents open. I run lowers. Those vents were closed. Air was coming up in front of the tank, but it quickly dissipated into a calm air pocket. Possibly your bars and/or arm position have something to do with your situation.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have been feeling around for channeling air while riding and it does feel like its coming up from below the gas tank.
Tie a bandanna or something to the bars to see how it blows as you ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts