Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to route my return from Yosemite in early June. I want to position myself to hit I-70 and scoot across Utah to Cisco and then ride down 128 to Moab/ Arches NP.

Looking at my maps, it appears the fastest way will be hwy 6 from Tonopah to Ely, then 50 east until it merges into I-70.

I swore I'd never ride 50 again, I absolutely hated riding that road a few years ago. Looks like it's the pound of flesh I'm going to have to pay to get to the good stuff, though.

Any experiences with HWY 6 would be appreciated. I'm hoping there's some scenery changes that are lacking on 50.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I rode Highway 6 from Provo down to where it connects to I-70 by green River. It is absolutely a beautiful ride through the canyon. You will not regret it... Just my .02 cents....

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm hoping there's some scenery changes that are lacking on 50.

Thanks in advance.
scenery across the the Nevada desert? close your eyes till you hit Moab.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Trying to route my return from Yosemite in early June. I want to position myself to hit I-70 and scoot across Utah to Cisco and then ride down 128 to Moab/ Arches NP.

Looking at my maps, it appears the fastest way will be hwy 6 from Tonopah to Ely, then 50 east until it merges into I-70.

I swore I'd never ride 50 again, I absolutely hated riding that road a few years ago. Looks like it's the pound of flesh I'm going to have to pay to get to the good stuff, though.

Any experiences with HWY 6 would be appreciated. I'm hoping there's some scenery changes that are lacking on 50.

Thanks in advance.
The section of 6 from Ely to I-15 is well traveled and the road is in good condition. I'd like to say the scenery starts getting better when you get into Utah but I'm biased. Once you get on the east side of I-15 it's an enjoyable ride with more to look at. I don't know where Cisco is that you referred to but you'll pick up 191 to Moab. Moab is at 4500 ft but will be warm in early June. I like Moab any time of the year and it's a biker friendly town.

Are you planning on hitting Cortez or Durango, Colorado?

I rode Highway 6 from Provo down to where it connects to I-70 by green River. It is absolutely a beautiful ride through the canyon. You will not regret it... Just my .02 cents....
The section through Spanish Fork Canyon to Price on Utah 6 is the deadliest section of highway in Utah :eek:. Scenic though and the road is in good condition but be observant of the oncoming traffic. I ride it, good speed and fastest route to Green River from Salt Lake City not a good choice from Ely. Way out of the way.

RT

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
PittsDriver, Cisco is just west of the Colorado state line on I-70. Utah hwy 128 is a 2 lane that runs along the Colorado River and all of the amazing Moab-esque geology is in view. Beats the dogshit out of 191. In fact, 128 is on my list of top 5 American Roads.

Ride it and you'll repeat it!

No 4 Corners or Ouray/ Durango on this trip. From Moab I'm looping down 191 to Blanding then up 95 to 24 and back up to I-70 east. Will spend that night on Grand Mesa. 95 is another of my Top 5. From Grand Mesa I'm running 92 along Black Canyon and over to Gunnison before heading south into northern New Mexico.

Hey man, what would it take to get a ride in a Pitts through Canyonland NP- maybe dip below the rim for a bit? I visited CNP in 2010 and all I could think about is doing that.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Highway 50???.....

Thanks in advance.
What in the heck could be wrong with Highway 50 in Nevada??

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Andyman, Thanks for the heads up on Cisco. I must have ridden by it on the way to Grand Junction without knowing it. I'll try 128. 191 is kinda spooky once you drop into the canyon to Moab. Too many cagers looking at the rocks instead of the road especially near the entrance to Arches NP. Sounds like you have one heck of a trip planned. As far as getting onto the Pitts, I sold it at the end of December to the local FBO. I would have loved ripping through Canyonlands in it. 2000 feet above the national park is requested but even at that elevation the scenery is awesome. Can't hook you up on the Pitts anymore but I take the Cessna 182 that direction occasionally. Flew down to Moab last month for lunch at the Moab Brewery. Sucks for me as the wife can sample some of the micro-brews but I can't if It's a lunch run and were heading right back. PM me before you head out on the trip. Maybe I'll fly down to Moab.

RT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts