Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The kids have finally reached the age where we're pretty certain the house will still be standing if we leave them alone for a few days. Now we're looking for some advice on our first 5 day road trip. We will be headed to Ocean City for Bike week on the 13th and returning the 17th. I guess the main question for those of you with much more experience than us is, what do we absolutely need to find room for? The girlfriend is already wondering how she's gonna get everything she "needs" in one saddlebag. Keep in mind I don't have a tour pack just a small bag for the luggage rack and whatever space I have left on my side. Also any advice on explaining the term "bare necessities" to the better half would be greatly appreciated. :D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you have some saddlebag liner bags, give her one and tell her to take whatever she wants long as it will fit in there. Worked for me.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
If you have some saddlebag liner bags, give her one and tell her to take whatever she wants long as it will fit in there. Worked for me.
Absolutely right. That's the easiest way. If works even better if you show that you're meeting her more than halfway. Give her the saddlebag liner and the luggage rack bag. "These two are yours. I'm gonna put all my stuff in this other saddlebag." Hard to argue with that logic.

·
Registered
560 Posts
If you're moteling it they usually have a hair dryer and iron. some have laundry facilities or there is local laundramat. Plus you'll more than likely be hitting dealers along the way for t-shirts and vendors at the rally for extra clothes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I like the give her the rack bag and a saddlebag liner and that's hers idea. That will let her decide what she wants to being and keep you from having to say what to pack. Save room for raingear.

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
417 Posts
Absolutely right. That's the easiest way. If works even better if you show that you're meeting her more than halfway. Give her the saddlebag liner and the luggage rack bag. "These two are yours. I'm gonna put all my stuff in this other saddlebag." Hard to argue with that logic.
Thats what I do also JayKS. But I still have to stuff something of hers in my saddlebag before we leave.:)

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
Stray Mutt is right on. I think the idea of giving her 1 saddle bag for her stuff is great. I've found out that less is better & you can always stop & buy something if needed. When we're on a road trip we usually wash clothes after 3 days. Ride safe & enjoy your trip

W

·
0 Posts
Saddlebag liner only. That is what my daughter used for a weeks trip. She rolled everything tight, put in zip-lock baggies and squeezed all the air out.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If you really want to impress her or save the stress of her worrying about not having everything. Book your hotel early and then arrange with the hotel to have a box shipped there. If the hotel is worth anything they will hold the box until you check in and help you arrange to ship it back. I've never done it on a bike trip myself, but use to do this on business trips all the time. That way all she has to put in the bags are the essential and one change of clothes. Less stress on her and your relationship.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Most women's clothing is considerably smaller/lighter then men's clothing anyhow, and since most of the women (that I know) like to wear less clothing to begin with, and unless she's packing the kitchen sink you should be able to get the same 4 days worth of her clothing packed in half the space you used for your 4 days of clothing. I agree that rolling it uses less space, but she may not be to happy about the wrinkles that'll cause. Either way you've got some great advice (mailing dirty stuff home is my favorite) and should have a great time. Ride safe.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Old rule of thumb; take twice the money and half the clothes.

·
Shark of the Month July 13
3,145 Posts
not much more advice i can give after reading what everyone else has said. i threw a fit when my husband handed me a saddle bag and told me that was all the room i was going to get. he told me to get my own bike so i did. i still have one saddle bag to use because the other one holds my riding stuff like chaps, vest, rain suite, etc...
she could try packing old underwear then throwing them away after she wears them (or not wearing any :eek:) she can also get makeup samples if she wears a that. the samples take up less room and you can throw them away after using them. same with the socks too she can pack old and throw them away after wearing them. when we went to SWII for 7 days i had packed one pair of jeans and had one long sleeved shirt, a tank top, a t-shirt, and a button down shirt. i wore layers and washed them to re-wear. most hotels have the bathroom basics so you may not have to worry about those.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts