Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Rg is leaking oil from the bottom of both jugs and all 4 head bolts :(

started at about 650 miles (at least that I noticed) got it to the dealer today with about 750 miles. dealer said no rush but I didn't wanna push it.

Will find out hopefully tomorrow what happened. Dealer has been real good so far. Said he will likely be replacing pistons and rings/ect. and parts will be next day'd.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
You definetly took it to the right place, with less than 1K miles I wouldn't even try to deal with it, if your dealer also rents bikes I would demand a rental free of charge until they get yours fixed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You definetly took it to the right place, with less than 1K miles I wouldn't even try to deal with it, if your dealer also rents bikes I would demand a rental free of charge until they get yours fixed.[/QUOTE

+1 on that all the way...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
didn't even think about demanding a rental, its been raining like nuts anyways or it would have well over 1k. so a rental would just sit in my garage no big deal.

I just demand they do a good job, getting my brand new bike cracked open kinda bugs me but what am I gonna do I guess.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
How much oil. I ask because it is pretty common to seep a bit from the base of the jugs early on. It may be leftover assembly lube.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Really? The dealer is going to replace the top end components for weepage? New pistons? Maybe you have a bigger issue, but weepage is very very common in a new engine.

Certainly the last thing I'd do is crack the motor open. First thing would be hose down with brake kleen or S-100 and check it after a few hundred more miles. It's common for assembly lubrication (oil) to weep from base gasket and from under the head bolts.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Ive put 3200 miles on it since i bought new on april 6th and there has been no change.
hmmm... S100 and or brake kleen the area and see if it helps. Also no full throttle until warmed up. ;-) some weepage is normal, but it should stop. These are air cooled engines and the cylinders expand when they heat up and all the sealing surfaces tighten up when hot. Starting the bike up and rappin the pipes over beers, not a good plan... will cause leaks.

(NOT saying you're doing that, but that's a good way to blow a head gasket or create weepy/leaking base gaskets AND many evo owners have done or do this... seen it so many times makes me roll my eyes.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I dropped it off last night and they cracked it open. He didn't say it was normal. I am calling in a couple of hours to see what they say.

He didn't say it was normal. It was a decent amount of oil 1/2 to inch leaking out of the head bolts and about 1/2 all the way around the rear jug and varying spots around the front jug.

Now im more concerned than when I started. If this is normal Im getting my motor opened up for nothing. By a tech or dealer that might not be that well informed.

// edit

My top end was very very loud compared to my 96 on synthetic, and I took my friends 103 glide out and he took mine and we both agree'd my top end was a lot louder. Like something wasn't right. Couldn't explain what it was I was hearing. So I guess getting it opened up anyways isn't that bad.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I am curious what they come up with. Considering they were so quick to jump on it without any hassle I think it might be more than new bike weepage. My first thought was they failed to install the rubber seals between jugs and the bottom end.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Subscribing since I'm very curious how this turns out. Mine weeped when I got it too, it was definitely assembly lube. Stopped after I cleaned it with brake cleaner, I've got about 4500 on it now, no issues.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Would have been helpful for you to have posted a "before" pic.

This is what I had, but its completely gone now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mine looks similar but all around, like almost total coverage of the rear jug, and some on the front. and the head bolts have a lot too.

·
Registered
400 Posts
hmmm... S100 and or brake kleen the area and see if it helps. Also no full throttle until warmed up. ;-) some weepage is normal, but it should stop. These are air cooled engines and the cylinders expand when they heat up and all the sealing surfaces tighten up when hot. Starting the bike up and rappin the pipes over beers, not a good plan... will cause leaks.

(NOT saying you're doing that, but that's a good way to blow a head gasket or create weepy/leaking base gaskets AND many evo owners have done or do this... seen it so many times makes me roll my eyes.)
What I'm saying by no change is it appears to be assembly lube as it haven't gotten any worse. I do baby my engine till warm also. Old habit my step father thought me as a child.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well to my surprise the bike was already done but Im not picking it up as I didn't expect it to be done today.

they finished it up as I pulled up.

The mechanic said it seemed very wet around the base o rings, he didn't notice any pinching or anything he said but replaced all the orings and I think he said gaskets maybe? he also replaced all 4 of my lifters even though he said only 1 or 2 looked bad. im no mechanic and once my bike was done I wasn't paying the best attention. Basically rebuilt with new stuff. Pretty excited well see how it is when I get it back tomorrow. will ride it to 1k and do the service and see if I see any oil.

pretty happy with the treatment at my dealership

1 - 20 of 37 Posts